Air filter subsiitute?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Air filter subsiitute?

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach

Air filter subsiitute?

Went to inspect my air filter today and it was totally dried out and mostly disintegrated, my bad for not looking at it more frequently. The metal screen behind it was partially clogged up and I vacuumed all the dried foam off it and cleaned it up.
    A replacement for a new one, basically a small thin sheet of foam cut to size, from an aftermarket vendor on either of the two auction sites is $7.50.
    While I don't violently object to paying an exorbitant price for something worth maybe $0.50, I really don't want to wait a week or more until it ships and arrives at my house as I want to ride the bike, and the price from the nearest dealer is over twice that which is ridiculous for what it is.
    Has anyone tried to use a ScotchBrite pad or similar? They come in different grades/colors, and I would use a fine one so as to catch more dirt. Maybe even two layers thick. Seems to me that would last a looong time compared to foam and could be easily cut to fit and oiled up just the same as a foam sheet air filter.
    Let me know what you think, if positive, I may try it and see how it works.
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Try a UNI...Amazon Prime http://amzn.to/2CWoXnF
    Gulfrider, Ken and littletommy like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

ScotchBrite will NOT work! It is much too porous to the small particles that an air filter is designed to trap. Pay the dealer and call it a fine for not paying attention to your TW's maintenance needs .
    Fred, Peterb, Ken and 1 others like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I try to keep the intake and exhaust systems stock if possible. One little change can sometimes change the performance or starting characteristics and not always for the better, IMO.
    Ken and littletommy like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Ken
    I sure have thought about putting a Briggs and Stratton air filter in the square hole under the seat. They seem to last forever and they are made for really dusty environments. You can also get prefilters for them. I think getting the proper hp rated filter would be a necessity. Scotti158 brings up a good point though.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-03-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    scotti158 likes this.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    OK. I'll invest in a new foam filter and this is the one I ordered in case anyone else needs one. It's supposed top arrive by Saturday next week and after I get it I'll let you know how it looks/works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TW20...97.m4902.l9144
    littletommy and Gulfrider like this.

Wise decision mrimd. Seems like the heat and humidity of Florida is hard on our bikes and thus frequent servicing is waranteed.
    The UNI filter would have worked too, but was the last one . However installation was included at only $79.20.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Looks to be OEM. I might also recommend that you try the NoToil filter oil and cleaner kit. The oil is extremely sticky and does not evaporate, catching even smaller particles than regular oil. The best part is that the cleaner allows you to clean the filter in a sink and air dry it, then add about three tablespoons of the oil, roll the filter to distribute, air dry 10 minutes and install. One kit will last about 5 years.

I was still using the original foam filter on my 2010 after 7 years and 16,000 miles. This product is very gentle on the foam.
    littletommy and SpeedyTide like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

The stock foam is good if it's cared for properly, and $8 bucks is too much for anyone? Scotch brites will not work. Yamaha has rocket scientists who do nothing more than design proper filter material. To think that 3M can accidently improve on that to wash dishes is nutts. (a make shift holdover fix at best) Any grit that gets by is like sandpaper in a engine turning up to 9500 rpms. Precision machinery don't take well to grit.

Talking about air filters this is a link to air filter real world testing I will never use a K&N on a dirt bike, or even a string trimmer for that matter.

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
    Tweaker likes this.
    DMAN

TW200D

HODAKAS, 950 KTM ADV, YAMAHAS

"EVERY SOLUTION IS THE SEED OF THE NEXT PROBLEM"

YOU CAN HAVE IT GOOD, FAST, OR CHEAP = PICK 2

IF ITS GOOD AND FAST, ITS NOT CHEAP. IF ITS GOOD AND CHEAP ITS NOT FAST, IF ITS FAST AND CHEAP , ITS NOT GOOD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links