New Chain/Sprocket for my 2009 TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A few weeks ago I purchased my first TW after about 20 years of no riding. It's a slightly used (1k miles) 2008 and I am enjoying the heck out of it!!!

Question: In reading through all these forums, I am doing just a few mods:

1. Foldable clutch/brake levers

2. Switch to hiflo + stock oil filter (alternate) and move to Mobil 1 synthetic oil

3. Adding lighter plug outlet for trickle charging and power for phone/gps

4. Slipping on new sprockets and o-ring chain

#4 is my big question. Without knowing more, I ordered a 14/44 + 428 - 116 link o-ring chain and sprocket set on Ebay that are designed for the TW. What kind of performance changes should I expect? Is it radically different than the original? Any tips on changing out the OEM parts or forum to point me to?

Your help is very much appreciated! I am planning to report back the results.

You will have 13.6% more speed and 13.6% LESS torque from the stock 14/50 setting.

So expect a higher top speed on level ground and going downhill. But expect to LOSE top speed when going up any kind of incline.

With my 14/47 I can hit 74mph easy on a slight slope, 65ish on the flat and 60 on a slight hill. I may bump up one tooth to a 14/48 or 49 next chain change.

Have some fun with this site.....

http://www.sprocketcalculator.com/

Thanks Rich for the quick reply...

In your experience, is this a decent ratio for 50/50 trails and roads? I am not planning any really heavy duty off-roading, but want to make sure I won't be up the creek with no power when heading up dirt hills. First and second seem so short with the current chain I can't imagine it would be a problem, but look forward to hearing folks input. The main reason I am making this change is chain noise on the road, plus reports that o-rings are the way to go. Overall, I am happy with the bike so far (understatement) but would love for it to inch out a few more smoother MPH on the road above 60 for the occasional road trip to the beach or dirt.

Thanks everyone!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think that Yamaha got it right with the stock gearing for a 50/50 rider. These are not really highway bikes. You should probably consider the dual sprocket set-up. Also; if you're getting a lot of chain noise; you may need to adjust the chain tension, and, or lubricate it.

Ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
    I think that Yamaha got it right with the stock gearing for a 50/50 rider. These are not really highway bikes. You should probably consider the dual sprocket set-up.

Thanks for this too. That's my concern...that I won't be as pleased overall with the bike. Any other opinions on moving to that ratio for a 50/50 rider?

I would consider 14/44 to be best suited to 85% street and 15% dirt - as long as the dirt is relatively level fire roads. As mentioned before, your bike will probably not be much faster on the street, but it will be running at a lower RPM at freeway speeds, so it will be a little quieter.

To add what Brian and the others have mentioned, I recently changed to an o-ring chain and that made a noticeable difference as far as ride noise goes.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Did you buy a kit like this? (you ordered the 14/44 version)

Ebay 14/47 with Gold O-Ring Chain Kit
    '93 TW200 :: '00 DRZ400E Plated :: '06 WR250F Plated

Hidden Content

Here is the kit that I bought. I just tried to change it to the stock ratio, but got a rather rude response from the retailer, which didn't even offer an exchange. So I am stuck with the 14/44, which sounds like it may be iffy for my 50/50 needs.

Given all the great advice above, I will move to an o-ring chain, but now am a bit reluctant to use the ratio I ordered. What is a good source to get an aftermarket o-ring chain in the stock ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
    Did you buy a kit like this? (you ordered the 14/44 version)

Ebay 14/47 with Gold O-Ring Chain Kit

Goofy - do you have any particular experience with this brand that I ordered?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links