Is the extended swing arm bad for off road?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I like the look of the extended swing arm, but will it reduce off road performance? Also, would I need to get a bunch of other stuff like a longer chain, etc., or is the longer arm good to go once it's on?

Thanks,

Siggi

Here's a pic of an extended swing arm:

click here

of course you'll have to get a longer chain to compensate for the new length. i think having a shorter wheel base helps in particular crawling situations. i've never riden a tdub with an extended arm! so im not too sure. you may high center alot easier! so ground clearance may be an issue with rocks. so maybe upgrading your skid plate?!
    "Peace be the journey"

MY BIKE BUILD- Hidden Content

-2012 tw200

Yeah, thought so on the chain. It makes sense. I guess the longer swing arm is for hot rodders, not dual sport people. I am going to mod my TW to be like Deus Ex Machina's stuff, but in a way that won't impede off road performance. No swing arm for me, I guess. Looks really cool though!

Is there a section this forum site for people who mod their TW's like the Japanese do? It seems like most people in the performance and customization part of this site don't mod their TW's cosmetically much at all, at least not so they are different looking than typical dual sport TW's. Most of the mods in the USA seem like improvements to performance, such as upgrades for suspension, etc. stuff like that, rather than different polished aluminum tanks, different seats, different (round headlight) etc. I live in Portland OR and I have seen plenty of TW's but not one that was radically modded in the look of the lil' beast.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You can not say, that an extended swing arm is always bad.

The Japanese swing arms are too long for the dirt riders. A long wheelbase is perfect for highway use -> sport/super sport bikes.

But ~5cm (2 inch) are a big plus for off road rides.

Before I've extended the swing arm, I always had the problem, that on steep hills the front wheel has lost the contact to the ground.

This problem was solved with the extended swing arm.

-> I have now a comparable wheelbase like a Honda CR250.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. The pic posted has a swingarm they appears to be at least six inches longer than stock.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I have a 3 inch swing arm stretch and actually think it is better for off road. For my set up it really made the rear end come alive(granted I'm using a banshee shock/vs tar spring combo. Also I have found the extra length helps with very steep up hill stuff. Doing it again I might go with a two inch versus three extension , but more for aesthetics and chain length.

Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

In the movie The Running Man there are all these modified dirt bikes in the background making noise and adding to the overall silliness of the film. They must have three, maybe four foot long swing arms, and all they are doing is churning up dust. The riders are just locking up the front brake and leaning forward, demonstrating idiocy. Apparently, after watching this and Mad Max, I am to assume that spinning the rear tire is menacing.

Now that we live in the future, I am surprised that this never caught on. The movie does take place in 2017, so I guess we have 5 years to make this a reality.

EDIT: I looked it up, and may have been wrong. The movie may have been 2019 or 2025. We may have more time than I thought.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Fiend View Post
    Yeah, thought so on the chain. It makes sense. I guess the longer swing arm is for hot rodders, not dual sport people. I am going to mod my TW to be like Deus Ex Machina's stuff, but in a way that won't impede off road performance. No swing arm for me, I guess. Looks really cool though!

Is there a section this forum site for people who mod their TW's like the Japanese do? It seems like most people in the performance and customization part of this site don't mod their TW's cosmetically much at all, at least not so they are different looking than typical dual sport TW's. Most of the mods in the USA seem like improvements to performance, such as upgrades for suspension, etc. stuff like that, rather than different polished aluminum tanks, different seats, different (round headlight) etc. I live in Portland OR and I have seen plenty of TW's but not one that was radically modded in the look of the lil' beast.

Do you mean something like this?

My bike is CRYING for an extended swingarm! Hopefully I have one lined up right now from a forum member here... I'd love to get my Dub completely finished over the winter.. the po/builder told me it was 98% complete, he wasn't far wrong... I think I got a smokin deal at $2000.00

z
    Full custom 2008 TW200/250 build pics of my bike... I call her TW (short for "Twice Wicked" for her almost doubled HP Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Newest member of the herd... 1987 Honda CBX250... this bike will become a board tracker this summer

Hidden Content

Bought another bike last fall (2012) ... 1982 Kawasaki KZ305 it's a "mostly done" bobber project I got for practically nothing

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    Do you mean something like this?

My bike is CRYING for an extended swingarm! Hopefully I have one lined up right now from a forum member here... I'd love to get my Dub completely finished over the winter.. the po/builder told me it was 98% complete, he wasn't far wrong... I think I got a smokin deal at $2000.00

z

Now that is a decent looking mod. All the others like this always looked incomplete; like they just stopped at the end of the seat. I like this bike! Two grand is a great deal. You done good. It doesn't look to me like it needs and extended swing arm; or anything else for that matter.

What engine is that?

Ride on.

Macbig, just out of curiosity, what is your height and weight? I am six feet tall, 200 pounds. Where did you get your two inch extension? I am interested in buying your model of swing arm. Thanks, Siggi

Quote Originally Posted by macbig2k1 View Post
    You can not say, that an extended swing arm is always bad.

The Japanese swing arms are too long for the dirt riders. A long wheelbase is perfect for highway use -> sport/super sport bikes.

But ~5cm (2 inch) are a big plus for off road rides.

Before I've extended the swing arm, I always had the problem, that on steep hills the front wheel has lost the contact to the ground.

This problem was solved with the extended swing arm.

-> I have now a comparable wheelbase like a Honda CR250.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links