Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Bryce Winnick
  • 1 Post By phelonius
  • 1 Post By Rider21
  • 1 Post By Michael Bryce Winnick

Thread: Screaming Banshee

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar

Screaming Banshee

I fabbed a stainless bracket (a bar with two holes and mounted the new design). Get a smaller mounting bolt for the horn. Do not use the bolt they send you. It is too long. You will know what I mean when you do it. Just get a smaller bolt. Make sure the holes you drill in the mounting bracket are two different sizes. You will know what I mean when you make your bracket. One size to mount the bracket to the bike. One size to mount the horn to the bracket. Make sure your bracket is long enough to clear the exhaust and push away from your oil cooler. Think about five inches.. Fits great. Remarkably compact. I replaced the Denali mini sound bomb which worked MUCH better than the factory horn. The Banshee wires up like a dream. No relays or hacking. I do not mess with the headlight feature. Cut the yellow wire off. Pull out the shunts (you will know what I mean if you buy the horn). Just get out the needle nose and disconnect the delay or "pulsating feature."). 2 blue wires to the old horn connections with no distinction. Red to battery-Black to battery ground. Made in the USA. You can pick up the phone and talk to these guys and they will tell you anything you want to know or need to know about this horn. The screaming banshee is the best horn in the world. Nobody should buy any other horn than the screaming banshee. Everyone should put a screaming banshee horn on their TW. My biggest complaint with things like this is that it is a lot of fun to fab and wire up and have everything work and come together without incident. A few great hours of fun. It takes longer to get the seat on and off.
    Rider21 likes this.

So you now have a horney bike?
    grewen likes this.
    Phelonius

$120 on their website. Too much for me.
    grewen likes this.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It is expensive, but you get to install it yourself and you get to fab a bracket and swap out some hardware. You also get to route some wires. It is really a great deal.

Or save yourself $100 and get the same unit from aliexpress or any of the other direct from factory online shops in Maos Dollar General.

This forum is not as fun as it used to be. This unit is made in the USA.

Hey...it can't all be fun. But your posts are fun for me. I love your sense of humor.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bryce Winnick View Post
    This forum is not as fun as it used to be. This unit is made in the USA.
    Funny, I actually looked over their site for some indication of why it would be priced 5x more than similar units, and "Made in the U.S.A." was one of the first things I looked for. I don't mind paying a premium for quality things made in quality places, but was unable to find any statement of origin on this unit. Odd to not see that plastered all over their website considering the marketing power that the "Made in the U.S.A." claim gives a company or product. I noticed that the mount/compressor motor was spot on identical to a $15 AutoZone horn I put in a truck several years back, then browsed the likely sources and noticed many others of the same formfactor with the same mount and motor.

There's a rash of people importing cheap (often junk) products, jacking the price way up, then trying to build a quality brand around that profit margin. This looks to be one of those cases as far as I can tell. Sorry if doing my homework ruined all your fun.

No mention on their Amazon sales page of being made in the US either, and so far the reviews look spot on to what I experienced with my cheapo unit as well. Mine lasted all of 6-8 months before it started sounding like a goose on quaaludes.

I bought this horn in mid December 2016. It's 2 months old now and wont work now. It worked great and loud for the 2 months it lasted but now it has a hole in the bottom where the circuit board fried.
    Horn sounded great but lasted one week on my motorcycle before falling apart
    Sounds like it's laboring to push the air and has kind of a crackle sound if that makes any sense. I can't really give it less than 2 out of five be cause is does what it said it would but this really should have been like a $40 horn based on the quality and sound. Dissapionted I guess
    works for about 2 months more and then the volume goes away.... You should buy this with the knowledge you may be purchasing a short term solution. There are other air horns with a similar design for less, probably a better option. This is a case of you do NOT get what you pay for.
    Badly built,messy glue exposed circuit board and wires.No louder than my engine. AVOID.Mine is going straight back.

I'm only following up on this because a better horn is definitely on my list of must-haves. The motor isn't big/loud enough on the TW to rev it at people without them laughing, and the stock horn is pretty anemic. Already had one case where the horn wasn't even noticed as someone tried to merge into my lane while I was still using it.

The Denali mini sound bomb was great and just wired up. My biggest complaint was that I did not have to run wires or fabricate a bracket. If this horn falls apart, I will put the sound bomb back on. Until then I will enjoy it. It is winter time. I need to do more than look at the dirt bike. Putting this horn on also forced me to get out my JIS screwdrivers. I found them in my tool tube...along with 3 Charleston Chews I forgot about. They stayed ice cold in the garage and I had something to eat while I was putting the horn on. How can anyone not want to put his horn on until it fails? I can swap the old horn back in the minute this one dies. Very rarely will a guy on a TW have to honk to get someone to speed up. In the event of a real panic situation I will scream louder than the horn when the time comes.
    rbm likes this.

Sponosred Links