Motorcycle carrier
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Motorcycle carrier

[media]http://www.princessauto.com/hlr-system/WebPhotos/81/816/8169/8169781.jpg[/media]

Hi guys,

I'm looking at this moto hauler from Princess Auto for my TW.

It's good for 500 lbs, has a ramp attachment & looks fairly solid. But the problem is, the carrier's channel is only 5" wide, & the TW's rear tire is 7" wide. Now, I'm thinking this is not ideal, but maybe that's rear tire could just sit on top of the channel's edges. I mean, as long as I tie the TW down securely, I won't be compromising road safety at all.

What do you guys think? With the weight of the bike, would I be asking for trouble? (damaging the rear tire, etc.)

Your opinions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks guys - Richard

Here's the product description:

Overview

The easiest way to transport your dirt bike or motorcycle

Feature(s)

Built-in detachable ramp. 13 in. clearance between receiver and frame.¬*

Application(s)

Frame locks bike in place¬*

¬*

Attributes & Specifications

Product Reference Carrier¬*

Type Motorcycle/Dirtbike¬*

Max. Load Capacity 500¬*lb

Platform 76 x 5¬*in.

Requires Min. CLIII hitch. Tie-down straps to secure upper portion.¬*

Hitch Receiver 2¬*in.

Construction Metal¬*

Brand Powerfist¬*

I use a Moto-Tote, and use these straps (NRS). to secure the rims to the carrier. That way, when you hit a bump the wheel can't jump out of the track and fall. I also use conventional tie downs to make sure it is secure.
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

A few other points:

"I won't be compromising road safety at all."

That's not necessarily accurate. The weight of your bike and the carrier will act as weight on a lever (your rear tire being the fulcrum). Depending on the weight of the vehicle and how far out from the back of your rear axle the load is (in this case the bike and carrier), the more pressure you're taking off the front tires. Theoretically, you are giving up some turning ability (and some traction if you're front wheel drive). So you have to be more careful in adverse conditions with one of these. Also, there is a risk of trailer hitch failure, carrier failure, or strap failure. Then there are the legalities (Moto-Tote makes a tail light kit, that is why I settled on it). Some police officers may cite you for plate or tail light obstruction.

All in all, trailers are easier and probably the better choice. But I took all that into consideration before buying mine and still settled on the carrier. If I had a car or front wheel drive I would have gotten a trailer for sure. There is a really inexpensive little trailer sold by Harbor Freight that many other members use (you can do a thread search and read all about them).
    "What's 'dude'? Is that like 'dude ranch'?"

"Dude means nice guy. Dude means a regular sort of person."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have one of the older style moto totes while they were still solid.

(googled photo)

a trailer was not practical do to lots of personal reasons.

owing a 2500 burb wasnt worried much about the extra weight out back.

regarding the unit you've put a photo of, not sure i like the center seam of the crossbars. there is a ton of weight out there when you hit a bump.

regardless which way you go, consider the jungleplant tie downs from the front end. search this site for more info.

Looks good, I am guessing you could secure/strap the rear wheel in place. I will be getting something similar over the winter. Will this unit allow you to add a hitch and still pull a trailer? (cannot tell from the photo link)

I have been looking at the unit that versahauler.com sells as their carrier will allow a trailer to be pulled with the carrier in place. I still have to go down to my trailer dealer and see about an extension for my lights as they would no longer reach with a carrier in place.

I agree that a trailer may be a better option, however in my case, my truck has a shell and I would prefer to leave it on instead of removing it every time I want to take the TW somewhere.

I carried my TW on the back of my Ford Ranger once. The weight of the bike was to much for the stock suspension with heavy duty shocks. The hitch tube on the rack would rub when pulling into some gas stations, and I am sure the head lights would have been pointing into the trees at night. Loading the bike was very easy and attachment was secure however. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Thanks guys, you've given me lots of food for thought.

Actually, I'm driving a Ranger too, but I was trying to free up some space in the bed by adding a carrier. Sounds like using a moto carrier is not the wisest option, though so maybe I'll just load the bike up in the bed as before. But I might try to get my hands on one of those moto-totes.

re: adding a trailer to the carrier from Princess Auto - yes, it looks like you can add a hitch ball to the back end.

Cheers - Richard

No clue where ur located, but keep ur eye on craigslust for both motorcycle hitch and motorcycle carrier

Use a Hitch Hauler myself. Try inserting 4 5/8" to 3/4" eyebolts so that they line up with the TW's axles in the channel so you can cinch the tires positively onto the channel. You'll still need to tie the handlebar ends down to the cross member that mounts in the Reese hitch to compress the bike's suspension as well.
    Huntsville, Alabama - Have TW, Will Ride! All White 09 TW, D2Moto Pegs, Bridgestone 302 front tire, 2" higher bars, 3/4" fork preload spacer, 5wt Honda fork oil, 135mm fork oil level, exhaust tip mod, 2.5 turns out fuel mixture, 0.060 in needle shims, 130 main jet, 14/47 sprockets, 20w-50 Valvoline MC full synthetic oil, ImmixRacing rear rack, Bilt Bag on Rack, 1" front fender spacers, Battery Tender connections on new battery (installed 12/11), Coleman ATV seat cushion, 2 Agri Supply tool tubes, 30oz MSR Fuel Bottle, auxiliary 6 LED tail light, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H4 headlight bulb, 2357 turn signals, and Superbright's 1157 LED Motorcycle Tail Light Bulb with 19 red & 6 white LEDs. Shortened rear turn signals. Bypassed kickstand switch.

Plus a "new to me" 1995 Yamaha Virago XV 750G for Pavement Purposes!!

Will do, thanks. I'm over here in Toronto, Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links