A Different Tire Discussion
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: A Different Tire Discussion

A Different Tire Discussion

I rode in the forest aagin today and again, I fell. Three times.

Nothing bent and I didn't get hurt.

The trails were very sandy and I was going fairly slow. I'm still running the stock front tire (yeah, I know, a Shinko 241 is on the way) and was convinced to order the Shinko after reading thread after thread about how squirly the stock front tire is.

But not why.

I would think a knobby tire like this one would not slip any more than any other knobby tire.

Can anyone explain why this one is so bad?
    Trail Woman and littletommy like this.

Knobby placement and depth, plus the fact that the tire technology is 30 years old. There are just simply better tires out there today. The 241 is an excellent choice.
    Donzo likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I too have a shinko 241, but in the meantime lower your tire pressure and move your weight forward on the bike. Either standing on the pegs over the bars or forward on the seat. The added weight increases friction and reduces your chances of front tire wash out.

Also slowing down or speeding up too much on sand will reduce traction. Maintaining momentum will retain the best traction.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 04-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tjmay View Post
    I rode in the forest aagin today and again, I fell. Three times.

Nothing bent and I didn't get hurt.

The trails were very sandy and I was going fairly slow. I'm still running the stock front tire (yeah, I know, a Shinko 241 is on the way) and was convinced to order the Shinko after reading thread after thread about how squirly the stock front tire is.

But not why.

I would think a knobby tire like this one would not slip any more than any other knobby tire.

Can anyone explain why this one is so bad?
    Mostly it is us the rider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Knobby placement and depth, plus the fact that the tire technology is 30 years old. There are just simply better tires out there today. The 241 is an excellent choice.
    30 year old tire technology? The Shinko 241 looks like the trials tires that came on my 1972 DT-1!
    littletommy, Dryden-Tdub and troll like this.

And that was a better tire than the deathwing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    30 year old tire technology? The Shinko 241 looks like the trials tires that came on my 1972 DT-1!
    mhomadness likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    And that was a better tire than the deathwing!!
    I agree. The Shinko was a huge improvement for me.
    littletommy likes this.

I think it is quite a hard rubber and shallow diagonal knobs all in a straight row (stock) vs. softer rubber with deeper square knobs that are more alternate and pliable. All I know is that I "dab" and "crab" way less with the 241 :-)
    I found the stock tire great on pavement and hard pack - but gravel, sand, wet, grass etc...have your dabin'/crabbin' game ready!
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.

I have run the 203/204 street tires for years off road with no problems then bought a newer TW and took it out with the stock tires and hit the ground 3 times in one day. That stock front tire is ok for the street but just nasty off road for some reason.
    grewen and littletommy like this.

Put your weight on the rear of the seat. You have to allow the front to float and move around on sand. Your not going to force it to go where you want in deep sand. More of going in a general direction then an exact line. Slowing down on sand transfers the weight on the front tire and your done. Keep on the throttle in a lower gear and duck walk it along if necessary. NEVER cross the bars up to full lock.
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links