Better rear brakes
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I would really like to have a disk brake in the rear but i'm unable to fabricate one. If anyone has these skills I would happily compensate you for your time and parts. But seeing how that probably won't happen, what kind of shoes should I purchase that have better stopping power than the crappy stock ones. I tried grooving them and that seems to have helped with the squeaking and glazing but they still suck! I'm guessing that sintered pads would be my best bet bet but wanted your opinions. To be honest, I would love to be able to lock them up as crazy as that sounds but I would be happy to just be able to stop with them!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I put the green EBC pads on and I think they suck. I think the stock pads were better. I have never had any squeak problems with either.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I never had squeaking and remember being able to lock up my '89. I think the stock pads and the right adjustment should get you the same, but if not, consider having the shoes arced and all that stuff. It might be pricey compared to the cost of TW200 shoes, but it can do what adjusting and replacing can't sometimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

A few of the folks on here have utilized the TTR 225 brake arm. It's longer and therefore gives more leverage. Without a stretched swingarm you might have to shorten the brake rod, though.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Can you "arc" the pads by simply sanding them? By looking at the pads, they appear to be making contact all the way across but I will go ahead and tighten the rod and try "arcing" them before buying sintered pads.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Read this, especially the last line. This guy can do the job for you or give you free advice on the TW's shoes.

As mentioned, though, try to get all the leverage and proper adjustment that you can before you go reshaping your shoes.

My solution for better rear brake: https://tw200forum.com/forums/86422/ShowPost.aspx#86422
    1995 TW200G Hidden Content M6006 130/80-18 & Ceros 26x9.00R14, Hidden Content #89 cam, Hidden Content exhaust, Front disc brake, 130 mm Rear drum, Round headlight

I didn't realize I'd been procrastinating for nearly 3 years. Been on my list since I first saw your posting on the old site. You should do another posting of it over here.

I need a serious rear brake. I never saw any follow-up on the mod. Was it worthwhile, or only a slight improvement? Do you find that more crud gets past the (now) smaller backing plate?

PSC, I feel your pain. And I don't think having a rear brake that is capable of locking up if need be is crazy. I've monkeyed with sanding them and even checked the wear limits on the drums thinking my drum may be worn out. One good day of rock crawling and they're glazed again. I don't have a lot of suggestions for improvement but as Sasquatch has said keep the adjustment whisker close, just short of rubbing. The brake blows, but at least it comes in more immediately that way.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TeeWee View Post
    Well done............................ How much better do you think it is??? OMM.

Ok. I thought something got lost in translation but I just read it wrong (over and over, for nearly 3 years ) Think I got it straight now..

What he's using is a late model TW125 backing plate and a front TW200 drum.

We Yanks will need to locate another model of Yamaha backing plate of the proper configuration in order to pull it off.

The TW FRONT shoes cross over to the REAR shoes of various years of TTR225's, XT350's and others. If the axle hole is the same diameter as a TW one of them could be potential donors.

My XT350's backing plate is too thick and the alignment groove too shallow, so rule that one out. Anyone got a TTR/XT225?

PSC: I think this will be pretty doable. Stand by. It's something quite a few of us have a fairly urgent need for and between Ronnydog and myself we may come up with a fairly easy swap. With the right backing plate the only irreversible mod will be grinding the stop tab on the swingarm. I kinda doubt there's any way around that.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links