HELP: Replacing the fuel tank on my 2018 TW
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: HELP: Replacing the fuel tank on my 2018 TW

HELP: Replacing the fuel tank on my 2018 TW

I want to start stripping my TW and slowly start making it unique to me. I have a few things in mind already but this is where I get stumped.

What tanks will fit on my bike? Do they just have to clear the frame? Or should I be looking into other components of a tank?
    I provided a few samples of what kind of tank Im looking for, so if you can tell me where they got these tanks from even better.
    Thanks! Glad to finally be a TW owner
    Ken likes this.

Japan.webike.net has approximately exactly 1676 fuel tanks for sale?

https://japan.webike.net/bm/top/Fuel+Tanks/1106/

https://japan.webike.net/brd/list/bm/1106/

If you can't find what you're looking for there, you should probably try being less picky.
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; 04-10-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    littletommy, goldenhtr and Ken like this.

They will all fit. Some just take a lot of work; and others look like a straw hat on watermelon.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum from Eastern Ontario. I can not offer you no advice on the new tank but on another note.....Congrats on the new T-Dub!!!
    scotti158, Ken and littletommy like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Welcome to the forum!!
    Ken and xupa like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

N2l
    Those xs400/xs250/xs360 tanks will fit a TW with some work. They are one of the most popular tanks Yamaha made and the price will reflect that. Expect to see them for 300-500 bucks in good to great condition. Deals come up every now and then though so its best to look for them all the time.

Welcome to the forum!!
    Quote Originally Posted by N2l View Post
    Those xs400/xs250/xs360 tanks will fit a TW with some work. They are one of the most popular tanks Yamaha made and the price will reflect that. Expect to see them for 300-500 bucks in good to great condition. Deals come up every now and then though so its best to look for them all the time.
    Ken, N2l and xupa like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

N2l
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Thanks! Finally bought a TW after 2 years of lurking. Figured I'd better sign up
    Ken and littletommy like this.

Ken
    Welcome from Texas
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by N2l View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    They will all fit. Some just take a lot of work; and others look like a straw hat on watermelon.

This. The Yamaha XS tanks are quite popular, so youíre probably better off using something different (unless youíre a very patient eBay sniper). The biggest thing to consider when finding a different tank is that you donít get one super long. Itíll not only look funny, but also push your seating area back out of the suspension sweet spot (granted itís a TW, lol). You could search for measurements for the XS tanks you like aesthetically, then make sure what you end up with is in the same ballpark. Also make sure the petcock position will clear the frame.

After that its a matter of fitting the front ó you may get lucky and all you have to do is resize or purchase new rubber pucks on the frame. But it also may be necessary to move the mounting points back to allow for full turning radiu (so the forks donít dent the tank). Or Iíve seen some guys purposefully indent the front of the tank before paint to allow steering clearance.

Then you fit the back of the tank. Youíll have to grind or cut off the current thereaded nipple that the OEM tank slides over. Youíll likely have to weld an extension to the frame to accommodate the longer tank. Depending on the tank, you may need to weld a tab on the tank itself. Basically you just need a place to attach the rear of the tank to the frame, to keep it from lifting or sliding back, so you can get creative (Iíve seen zip ties too ;-D). Finally, you may need to pound or hammer the rear inside of the tank to get it to sit low enough for a clean tank/seat junction. YouTube can help there.

Then rust removal and new paint...

Then You can start working on a new seat to fit the new tank. .. Lots of work, but itís fun and definitely makes a unique looking bike. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links