Inline easy cable pull box?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Inline easy cable pull box?

Inline easy cable pull box?

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm considering getting one...pros/cons?
    hqdefault.jpg

They do work, I had one on a bike many years ago. It makes the clutch pull very easy. I did not know that they were still for sale. Where are you getting it from?

Cool. Ebay or fortnine.ca both have them. The ones at fortnine are brand name and have poor reviews but can be fixed up. So for that I might as well get a cheaper ebay version. As long it's the same geometry as above.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Your modified clutch lever not working out? The TW clutch pull is the easiest of any bike I've ridden. If you have a real heavy feel at the lever, maybe something else is going on.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

No the clutch lever mod makes it easy enough to 2 finger but I want to go further to reduce it to single finger. If this device works out I'll make the lever even shorter. I clutch a lot racing through tight single track. As easy as the TW clutch lever is stock it was making my hand cramp after 3 hours of intense riding.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 04-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    admiral likes this.

Neat. That looks like it gives you about 21% more throw ( and thus ease of feathering) at the lever to generate a given amount of clutch engagement change for about 18% less effort ignoring any friction losses.
    Uses the principle of one of the oldest machines known...the lever. Remember ol' Charlie Archamedes from a few thousand years ago? "Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world!". Well, must then work for the TW clutch too.
    This lever principle concealed in the housing does consume more clutch lever travel at the bars. While changing shape of stock lever can help with clearances there are also suitable aftermarket shorty levers available. I have a set similar to these compound pivot shorties on Betty Boop and really like them. Easy 2 finger operation, safe rounded ball ends, tuck in nicely so as to not get bound up when handguards deflect in a Boo-boo, choice of blingy colors...What's not to like other than there is no direct application for "TW200"? One has to look for a cross referenced model that takes same stock levers and I forget which.... Mid-200's WR450s? I recall there were many compatible listings for both disc and drum front brake models. Under $30 a pair from Amazon.shorty.jpg
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    No the clutch lever mod makes it easy enough to 2 finger but I want to go further to reduce it to single finger. If this device works out I'll make the lever even shorter. I clutch a lot racing through tight single track. As easy as the TW clutch lever is stock it was making my hand cramp after 3 hours of intense riding.
    Side bar. I had to look at your avatar for about 20 minutes before I figured it out. At first I though it had something to do with a cat and wood burning stove but now I get it. I would not be a good contestant on Jeopardy. Me too slow...

Back to inline easy cable pull box. Mrs. Admiral's never mentioned it being hard to pull but I'll keep watching this thread to see how you feel about the mod when done.
    Trail Woman likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Neat. That looks like it gives you about 21% more throw ( and thus ease of feathering) at the lever to generate a given amount of clutch engagement change for about 18% less effort ignoring any friction losses.
    Uses the principle of one of the oldest machines known...the lever. Remember ol' Charlie Archamedes from a few thousand years ago? "Give me a lever long enough and I can move the world!". Well, must then work for the TW clutch too.
    This lever principle concealed in the housing does consume more clutch lever travel at the bars. While changing shape of stock lever can help with clearances there are also suitable aftermarket shorty levers available. I have a set similar to these compound pivot shorties on Betty Boop and really like them. Easy 2 finger operation, safe rounded ball ends, tuck in nicely so as to not get bound up when handguards deflect in a Boo-boo, choice of blingy colors...What's not to like other than there is no direct application for "TW200"? One has to look for a cross referenced model that takes same stock levers and I forget which.... Mid-200's WR450s? I recall there were many compatible listings for both disc and drum front brake models. Under $30 a pair from Amazon.shorty.jpg
    I think my clutch lever mods broke even on pull. The only real gain is the shorter lever and how easier it is to slip the clutch. So adding this box would be the only noticeable improvement in pull strength.

The levers with levers on them! What are those for? Locking it in position? I considered after market levers but by modding the stock ones I saved >$30.

"...something to do with a cat and wood burning stove..." That's hilarious, Admiral! Is that a Freudian slip? Should we feel sorry for any cats that stray your way? Haha?

Anyway, I have a pair of levers similar to the ones Fred posted on my big bike, a Honda NC700. I haven't felt the need to change out the stock TW levers yet.

The second small lever is for adjusting the throw by turning a small cam in the hinge. It's so they can be adjusted for different hand sizes to accommodate shorter or longer reaches. In my experience, the work great.

The ones I bought are also split along the length of the lever so that the shaft is actually two separate pieces that slide together and can be adjusted using a set screw to make the lever longer or shorter. As a bonus, this makes them much easier to adjust to fit within handguards, too!

Finally, they also fold up to minimize the chance of breakage in the event of a fall.

The machining is very nice and smooth, and they feel much better under my hands. If you're having issues with the stock levers or just want infinite adjustability, these are definitely worth checking out.

The ones I bought are no longer available, but these are similar (of course, you'd want to find some spec'd for the TW. This is just what I ran across on a quick search):

https://www.amazon.com/FXCNC-Adjusta.../dp/B0722PTV84

The adjustable nature of those are really cool....if my mods are not acceptable maybe that one is.

I never found the stock levers hard to pull but when you're pulling your clutch at some degree for half of your riding time even the easiest clutch can be tiring after hours. Plus when you work with you hands all day anything you can do to make it easier is welcome.

I'd like to get my brake down to a one finger pull but with the hydraulic system I might have to do some more research....
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 04-18-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links