Tubing or solid for spoke material on this project.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Tubing or solid for spoke material on this project.

Welded Spoke 6.5" wheel conversion for ATV tire

I am going to attempt to weld spokes in between the hub and rim while in a jig. Curious if you guys and gals think that tubing or solid would be tougher in use. thinking (8) per side and 1/4" to 3/8" size range. Just cutting the spokes away and using the hub for a conventional trailer wheel hub is my backup plan whick would only waste the $35 wheel. I just think I would like the spoke look better if I can make this successful.

EDIT: To include video link once done. Just came back from 15 mile test ride. Other than taking a small amount of power to pull the big tire at 10 psi, it rides very close to the same as before. The little bit of free spin wiggle I am seeing in the video is not detectable at any speed up to 55 thus far. Smooth and neat feel.

Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 05-10-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    Ken and PlacerLode like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Peterb, TW-Brian and Ken like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

There is a reason why every spoke wheel I own is equipted with adjustable spokes to true the wheel after every major shock experience. The only rigid spoke wheels I recall were covered wagons which had wheels that exploded on demand.
    Ken likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Makes sense but I have never found a need to adjust a spoke in my life and bigger spokes welded in might not get knocked around as much ?? , Just trying something and wanting an opinion, I already acknowledged it might not work out so I see the potential flaws and failure modes, no help needed there !! I am willing to risk the $40...
    Peterb and Ken like this.

Hey Doug,

My first reaction when I first read about your idea was that you must have fallen and hit your head !

Now, I am kind of digging it ! There is no reason at all why this won't work well, assuming that it is accurately jigged up and you are able to get good welds. My vote would be to use five tubular spokes per side, with my reasoning being tubes would be more rigid than solid bars and ten spokes should be plenty while still providing interesting aesthetics.

What trailer wheel size are you using?

I say go for it (and put me on the waiting list for prototype #002).

Brian
    Ken likes this.

Holy shinko that's a big tire.
    TW-Brian and Ken like this.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

It is 14x6, a bit concerned about swelling the tire out that much so gonna mount this freebie tire of the 26x8x14 size to get good measurements first. Shoulda done that first but this tire just fell in my lap by accident today.

I think I need an even # of spokes on each side to create opposing forces for acceleration and braking torque loads if I install at angles like stock, I am afraid if i just do them like an old wagon wheel the rotational torque from being driven and braking, might try to over stress them. ???
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 05-02-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    Ken likes this.

Got 3 more hours in on this project today...Got all the dimensions worked out, will double check all the #'s again tomorrow and finish the fixture. I settled on 3/8" 1018 crs for the spokes due to availability.

wheel4.JPGwheel3.JPG
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 05-03-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    TW-Brian and Ken like this.

Rebar would give it a nice hillbilly look !

Got my dimensions all cross checked and confirmed, fixture jig done, need to remove a bit more paint before fitting and welding in spokes. P.S. I am experimenting with picture posting options so two pics of same thing here. let me know if you cannot see the one on the bottom !!

Fixture jig done.JPG

Mel likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links