How much uice do TW's have/use? Early models
Close

How much juice do TW's have/use? Early models

I have searched and the only thing I can find is the headlight rating and people doing math on assumed numbers. The repair manual doesn't state either.

So how much is the TW putting out while moving? Idling is not what we do most so what is the stator rated to produce?

I ask because I have converted all lighting to LED. While a huge improvement, especially the head light, I don't know what I have to spare. I don't like the front running lights and turns together. Even after the LED swap it isn't enough of a difference. I want to redirect the "running" lights to a set of aux lights and then just have the turns in the stalk. Then a set of low power cheapo strips for the side somewhere.

Eventually this will be my youngest's first bike on the road and I want him seen. I will even recycle the "New Rider" decal from my younger daughter for him. I am big on minimizing the threat other drivers pose to them (at least as much as I can).

I am looking at these Ebay cheapos. Hey if they work they work, if they don't I will know before he gets it in a couple years.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3-LED-Wh...MAAOSw-xVaDSDH
    Last edited by Gdcpony; 05-14-2018 at 12:53 AM.

As relayed to me when I had a similar query, the 2001+ stator is rated/documented for between 150W and 170W, and supposedly the earlier ones have the same part number, so it should be reasonable to assume they're in the same ballpark.

If you want the best bright-for-the-(wattage)buck, LED is the way to go for sure. I have my rear converted, with the front sporting a LED drop-in bulb replacement that is better than stock and stock turn signals. Next step for me is to finish the CAD and send it to my 3D printer so I can mount the Truck-Lite 7" round headlight, the LED turns, and separate LED running lights.

Apparently this is from the old version of this forum, and the posts haven't been migrated or some sort of situation like that:
    Stator rewind for higher output? - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

(note the URL being /forums/ rather than '/forum/')

They are the same? Didn't know that. I do know that LED's go into all my vehicles when the stock lights go except headlights on most. This one's headlight sucked so bad that the LED made a 100% more light from an Ebay cheapo (yeah I'm a cheap guy). It reduces strain on the electrical system on any vehicle and frees up power for other things.

Just this bike seems renowned for having low power to spare in the first place. Wanted to know if I was going to hurt anything adding another set of lights. I could switch them if needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gdcpony View Post
    They are the same? Didn't know that. I do know that LED's go into all my vehicles when the stock lights go except headlights on most. This one's headlight sucked so bad that the LED made a 100% more light from an Ebay cheapo (yeah I'm a cheap guy). It reduces strain on the electrical system on any vehicle and frees up power for other things.

Just this bike seems renowned for having low power to spare in the first place. Wanted to know if I was going to hurt anything adding another set of lights. I could switch them if needed.
    Not trying to make things difficult and I am a modder extreme !! but I am pretty sure I read in the last few days of someone or more people setting up switches to kill headlight for energy conservation, " daytime trail" I assume and that lack of load on the system cause it to burn out some component. I'm sorry do not remember more specifics, but might be worth some research if you are on a mission to lower electrical loads, there might be a level that is unhealthy. So long as it is replaced with increased lighting then I could see no issues.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

Sponosred Links