gear on front rack blocks headlight
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: gear on front rack blocks headlight

gear on front rack blocks headlight

Hello all. I am brand new to riding, as in we just got my first ever bike last night. you probably guessed it is a TW200 since I am on this forum. We purchased the front rack from cycle racks and then realized after it was installed if i put anything on it over a couple inches tall I am blocking the headlamp. My husband wanted me to ask the forum what other solutions people have for this. For example, are there auxiliary lights I can install higher up like near the handle bars, etc.? It needs to be a simple install too, no welding, etc.

We are planning on doing some moto camping so I will be using the front and back rack for gear. I tried to attach a photo to show how just a bedroll bag on the front rack blocks the light. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elvesus, Tweaker and Fred like this.

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum!

Cycle Racks makes a pretty good product, but unfortunately their front racks are not particularly useful unless you only ride off-road during daylight hours . I have seen a few members with front racks that carry their load up above the headlight, but even that design presents its own problems. Lots of people have added auxiliary lights up front (usually LED's), so that may be a viable option for you.

Brian
    Elvesus likes this.

how often would you really need to haul gear up front and drive at night ? for most it's not the normal or common ride

The tiny amount the front rack can hold could easily he added to the rear rack or a back pack or even a tank bag for a short night ride

modern LED lighting would allow for a helmet lamp or two lights mounted on each side of the fork where the reflectors mount

I agree with TWBrian I do still like the Cycleracks front rack even though I've never carried anything but some road dirt on mine

Welcome to the forum and let us know if you choose a lighting solution

Also wasn't there a forum member offering a dual front light kit that mounted at the reflector points ?
    Tweaker and Allanb like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You cannot or shouldn't add auxiliary lights just because you want to bungee or carry something on that front rack blocking the lamp. I have the exact same one but for safety's sake do not carry anything tied to it at night. It's a nice product but will have limited application based on the riders safely being able to see at night and if you think about it, riders safety for others to see her/him during the day or night.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

Stagewax brings up a good point along with some others. I probably won't do much riding at night, especially with gear on the rack. But if I do get caught out in the woods later than expected I'd like some light. Probably more important is what Stagewax said about visibility to other vehicles. That reason alone I'd like to find a way to mount some lights up high enough to be seen over the gear. Any suggestions for this or pictures, etc. I'd appreciate it. I will do a little looking for a helmet lamp as Placer suggested but would also prefer to have them mounted directly to the bike for when hubby or son rides it. Thank you.

If you're looking for an alternative, Manracks sells a front rack that mounts above the headlight: Welcome to ManRacks. (This may be the one TW-Brian mentioned).

Welcome to the forum!
    JerseyJeeper and Allanb like this.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

I would think that the best and most practical use of the front rack would be to hang panniers from the sides of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    I would think that the best and most practical use of the front rack would be to hang panniers from the sides of it.
    I agree. Small panniers or a pair of 1 gallon Rotopax fuel packs would work well on the low front rack.
    John in Nanaimo

2013 TW200 - with Shinko 241 front tire, Rox 2" anti-vibe risers, Polisport Touquet handguards, homemade wind deflector, Manracks utility rack

Quote Originally Posted by Elvesus View Post
    If you're looking for an alternative, Manracks sells a front rack that mounts above the headlight: Welcome to ManRacks. (This may be the one TW-Brian mentioned).

Welcome to the forum!
    I have this one on mine, and it can carry a moderate amount of stuff without interfering with the headlight. I usually just mount the GoPro to it.
    Elvesus likes this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

When off-road; even in a slow speed crash - the pannier hangers can get pretty messed up to where I had to jury-rig things to continue on. And another time; hitting a couple bumps in a row at a good clip broke the clips on the left to right pannier attaching straps when Rotopax containers were attached. Thus I've concluded that for me; the cycle-rack panniers will be only for on-road use.
    Elvesus, PlacerLode and Allanb like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links