Making a Custom Rear Hub specific for welded spoke trailer wheel/atv tire mod.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Making a Custom Rear Hub specific for welded spoke trailer wheel/atv tire mod.

Making a Custom Rear Hub specific for welded spoke trailer wheel/atv tire mod.

Subject kind of say it all but I am thinking this can lead me to an aluminum spoke and wheel option in another yet to come iteration. This one will be all steel to clean up the design for the welded spoke setup I did a a couple of weeks ago. I think next I can adapt this design plan to building from all aluminum.

Here is the new plan..... Going to make the center tube then have dedicated rings properly located on the hub for receiving the spoke ends, the drum brake and sprocket. On the wheel end I am figuring on drilling the spoke holes on the drop center area along the raised edges and spread apart about 2" ish and fitting the spokes through these holes into the hub rings and flush welding on the inside of the wheel where the welds won't be seen. Then kind of plug welding the spokes in milled slots in the rings. !!!! This is gonna take some doing. I am newish to the mill and lathe both but learning fast.

P.S. should I build for 12" or 14" wheel. I done 14" for less sidewall flex for on the road manors thinking low air pressure could give that flex back in ample amounts for offroad. Let me hear from more experienced folks on this subject.

Edit: To include update pic's.

IMG_6518.JPG

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 05-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Tweaker, Trail Woman and Miaugi like this.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

I'm no expert but I'd think more sidewall would better enable low air pressure, although the stock TW rear tires is quite adequate for low pressure. I've yet to see an ATV tire that's road legal.

If you're going to reinvent the wheel so to speak would now be the time to consider a disc brake or is there a reason TWs don't have them I'm unaware of?

While I admire your creativity and ambition, I think that if you are going to machine a whole new hub that you would be better off making one that simply accepts standard trailer wheels and skip the permanent welding on of the wheel. Another member had a friend do this and I believe it was successful. A couple of advantages would be: easier to fabricate, likely able to mount either a 12" or 14" interchangeably, and if the wheel is damaged you can buy a new cheap trailer wheel and swap it out with out re welding. Just my opinion, but either way I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    scotti158 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I see a lot o talk about the rear disc but I just have not found a need to drive the motivation. I can step on my rear and slide my tire. I am sure it would be stronger and with less input, that would be nice. I guess I am already working in too many directions to include it at this time. this project is pushing back my engine and 6 speed build already. I could see a design upgrade in the future. I am not sure TW peeps are big spenders and this wheel and swingarm with a new chain and tire is already unavoidably getting salty as far as mods go. The STI black Diamond tire is DOT. We know of one guy riding it back and fourth to work daily. I have not dug in but I bet there are others. This will have to be sold as an "off highway use only" item eitherway. I certainly will not be going through any certification processes.
    2016, stock'ish and a 2003 Starting on a 225 or bigger 6 speed build as a spare for now and install later when done and ready on this bike.

This find is going to make my job easier !!! Still asking 12" or 14" I am struggling to like the look of the 12" setup but also looking for sound reason to do it at the same time. Just talking about this rev. I can do either or both long term.

IMG_6517.JPG
    Tweaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DougDotyTW200 View Post
    This find is going to make my job easier !!! Still asking 12" or 14" I am struggling to like the look of the 12" setup but also looking for sound reason to do it at the same time. Just talking about this rev. I can do either or both long term.

IMG_6517.JPG
    12" - Larger Tire size and brand to select from.
    Heli-Mech likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Got the main tube cut to length and counter bored on both ends for the bearings and seals today.

Next up is to try and learn more about my cad program to draw up the flanges to get to my cnc plasma table guy. This is gonna be a challenge for me.

TW-Brian, Tweaker and Ken like this.

Doug one thought about brakes is and not needed for this mod yet is that bigger size ATV tires would need more braking power to stop with their increased traction and weight. Stock brake is pretty good. Some just use a longer brake arm to get more leverage.

12” or 14” one point is 12” there are more sizes available in sizes that fit stock swing arm. With modded swing arm I am not sure if more ATV sizes would then work for 14”. Maybe someone who knows will pipe in.

So rear wheel/ hub mod and modded swing arm is adding up, but crazy TW ers will probably flock to them.

If you are making a scratch hub it won’t hurt to investigate a disk brake mounting flange. Placerlode and others have researched this.

They are some disk brake threads with parts etc.

Edit: If you have read through the trailer wheel mod thread you would see talk of a one piece aluminum hub cnc machined for the trailer wheel. I posted pics of a custom one piece CNC machined aluminum motorcross hubs for @ $360. I think these could be made for the TW and I spoke with one company it would need around 10 k of sales to be feasible. 10k \. $360=28 hubs. So with a one piece hub and a $26 trailer wheel not a bad deal.

Keep at it I am enjoying the ride.
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-16-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    Ken and DougDotyTW200 like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Thanks, Good point about the rear brake getting more heavily used with bigger heavier tires, I can sense that riding this one I just built.

I am drawing the spoke ring for the hub this evening. Gonna draw the sprocket ring and the main tube that I built today next. There is nothing like a real project to help the learning curve on something like software. Once I have component drawings I can assemble on the screen with the wheel and stack all the dimensions to the components to optimize the spoke ring location. i can also easily quote out the parts so it all comes in ready to assemble. Some of these components could have as little as a 1-2 minute cycle time if being made on optimal equipment rather than hours by me in the shop. I am not good at cad but on a mission right now to learn what I need to know in Autodesk's Fusion 360 Cad Cam program.

Here is my evening.......thus far. I fiished by converting to a dimensined print and exporting a DXF cut file to my jump drive. making some headway.

ss hub spoke ring.JPG
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 05-16-2018 at 09:49 PM.
    Miaugi, Tweaker and TW-Brian like this.

Had a sample part cut from my DXF file this morning but the plasma cutting had it .02 to .03 narrow on the spoke slots and the I.D. Plasma is just too crud to use for stuff like this in my opinion.

IMG_6527.JPG
    Last edited by DougDotyTW200; 06-04-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    Tweaker and TW-Brian like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links