Looking at putting an ATV tire on the TW
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ejfranz
  • 1 Post By Dubster

Thread: Looking at putting an ATV tire on the TW

Looking at putting an ATV tire on the TW

I'm needing a new rear tire and would like more traction than the stock seems to offer. My riding is 95% mountains. I found a WDT P392 AT 26X8-14 C/6PR for only $57 so I figure I couldn't get hurt too bad. I'm assuming I need a tube with this tire? I've read about the struggles to get these tire to seat but it seems as people have been able to get it done. Any suggestions before I order this tire? What size tube do I want?
    Thanks,

I used the tube that was in the stock rear wheel.
    Just do not rely on pressure to seat the tire.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Several listings do not say if radial or bias ply construction, has a fairly square shoulder profile, lateral biased tread blocks might make it always want to slide out favoring one side, looks like a fairly quiet tread pattern , made in China and can be had for as little as $46.32 per tire.
    Several Forum members have sealed their spokes to run their ATV tires tubeless. This aids subsequent flat repair but makes initial installation and bead seating a bit more difficult.tire.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

tire is up to you but when you put it on it can be very dangerous. I heated mine up in a hot box got it on the rim ok but setting the bead is a whole nuther problem. the max pressure for most of the ATV ties is 20-30lbs and it will take around 60 to set it. I had it filling got the bead set at about 60 but could not get the air off quick enough and it blew up. shot the tire and rim about 10' in the air I was around a corner with a long hose on the stem so no danger for me but I toasted a $120 tire you need to lube the crap out of the bead and tire rim and put in 40-50 lbs and let it set for a while and relax and dont go anywhere near it till it pops on. good luck be safe
    DMAN

TW200D

HODAKAS, 950 KTM ADV, YAMAHAS

"EVERY SOLUTION IS THE SEED OF THE NEXT PROBLEM"

YOU CAN HAVE IT GOOD, FAST, OR CHEAP = PICK 2

IF ITS GOOD AND FAST, ITS NOT CHEAP. IF ITS GOOD AND CHEAP ITS NOT FAST, IF ITS FAST AND CHEAP , ITS NOT GOOD.

Ken
    I just saw the thread from 2015 about using the cord/cable around the rim while seating the bead. That sounds like it was very successful with much lower air pressure. I went to Google and pulled up. Under (Help an atv tire blew up in my face) there is a link under flyhunter3825 that shows you this method. I was looking for the hilarious astroglide thread but found a more practical but not as funny solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I just saw the thread from 2015 about using the cord/cable around the rim while seating the bead. That sounds like it was very successful with much lower air pressure. I went to Google and pulled up. Under (Help an atv tire blew up in my face) there is a link under flyhunter3825 that shows you this method. I was looking for the hilarious astroglide thread but found a more practical but not as funny solution.

Flyhunters cable solution is probably the best though I haven't had a chance to use it since I'm still running my original Ceros ATV tire. Plus, I think I'm gonna go with the trailer wheel mod on my TW like I did for Mrs. Admirals TW which eliminates the drama of putting on an ATV tire on the stock TW rim and it's tubeless which makes using a plug much more attractive when fixing a trail side flat.

Wrench-Puller had the funny thread.

Done at last! For now.... - Page 2
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I aggressively trimmed the bead,heated the tire (Duro) in the sun,used silicone grease,generous amounts of tire lube, and tried to seat the tire and it would not seat. I used the cable method and and it seated but still took around 70lbs if i remember correctly. I was also under cover and had the tire on a bank facing into the woods. It seated with a heck of a bang but stayed together. Not for the faint of heart.
    ejfranz likes this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"
    09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"
    03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"
    81 Z50 "Just Because"
    98 Honda Valkyrie "Fast as [email protected]&K"
    02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition" Sold to Son-in-Law
    73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's" Sold. Had an offer I couldn't refuse.

I ruined a few tires before I gave up and went to tge tri z rim. now I have runflat capability and whatever

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

Sponosred Links