Suzuki vanvan 200 Fuel Injection TW200 conversion
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Suzuki vanvan 200 Fuel Injection TW200 conversion

Suzuki vanvan 200 Fuel Injection TW200 conversion

as a recent vanvan 200 owner I've been looking at parts and pieces and I priced the FI throttle body, FI control unit and the complete wiring harness for the RV200 (vanvan) at aprx $1000 not cheap but as time goes one some vanvan's are bound to be parted out and those parts becoming available. If someone could possibly sort through the harness and separate the FI essentials and assuming the thoittle body will physically fit the TW (I'll research this more soon) we might have a viable FI solution for the TW

Of course right about the time we do this Yamaha might start offering that upgrade on the TW

I mean if they were to do one single thing to improve the TW w/ destrying the classic cult bike we all know and love a TBI FI upgrade would be harmless to aesthetics and eliminate all the fouled carb problems associated with TW's
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 06-26-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

I’m glad to see more people thinking about going FI on our little TWs.
    The last time I looked into it, the biggest obstacle to overcome for our bike is the fuel pump. The best I could come up with was an external on from a Suzuki LT500. If you watch on eBay, sometimes you can find one for an almost reasonable price. They are $$$!

I've been fortunate, 5 yrs. and 14,000 miles on my '13 with no carb issues. My '96 "Buddy Bike" has also been reliable. Not storing them with ethanol gas in the tanks has worked out great for me.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    I've been fortunate, 5 yrs. and 14,000 miles on my '13 with no carb issues. My '96 "Buddy Bike" has also been reliable. Not storing them with ethanol gas in the tanks has worked out great for me.
    I store mine with ethanol gas all the time. All winter in fact, sometimes longer (no choice, can't get non-E). I always store it with Sea Foam in the tank.

The trick to never ever having an issue (for me over many years) is to have a fuel filter in place, having fresh sea foam mixed in when starting the store-it period and most importantly:

ALWAYS ALWAY ALWAYS drain the carb with the drain screw on the bottom that was in-fact put there for that purpose. Then run the engine till it dies from lack of fuel.

I have never had a problem since I started doing this years ago, it only take 60 seconde of my time, the bike idles and purrs like a kitten every time.

The tank looks shiny and new inside, never has slime and the filter is always clean, never been changed (it's a clear right angle filter with a screen).

I always mix the sea foam in and let it run long enough to make sure it's mixed fully and through the carb (a five minute ride).

Before I started this exact process I always had to battle it to get a good even idle and at times getting it started was a process to say the least.

So, Add sea foam, mix it in thoroughly, run it through, use a good filter and drain your carb every time your done with the bike and you will never have a problem guaranteed.

It's worked for me for 5 years flawlessly, even last year when i spent all my time on other bikes.

Use the right screw driver on the drain screw and you'll be using the same drain screw for at least 5 years without issue.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Unless you're frequently traveling between extreme elevations and have an authorized dealer on each end who has a computer to service your EFI I don't see the point. I bought my 2015 and did little to maintain it except add a fuel stabilizer and run the carb dry before storing it for more then a month. Now I ride year round so I do nothing but keep it running. IMO adding EFI to a TW would ruin it's classic simplicity and easy to work on nature. For the price of EFI by the sounds of it you could buy a new gas tank, carb, and airbox and have no problems if you maintain it accordingly.

Here is something that I have wondered about fuel injection.

If your battery is completely dead, can a fuel injected bike be bump started, or kickstarted, if it has a kicker?

Or, are you out of luck and pushing your bike?

Unless and until you've seen the brilliant simplicity of the vavnan's FI it's impossible to see why this is a worthwhile upgrade. While TrailWoman may have not had carb issues I can say the great majority of TW owners have and still do have carb maintenance issues some spending up to $500 by scammer dealers for so called carb repairs (and ALL dealers are scammers)

I've owned a few TW's and I'm pretty sure I had to repair every carb even on one I bought with 4 actual miles, perhaps 2 or 3 TW's out of a LOT I've owned or helped people acquire did not need carb work

I know the great majority will prefer this conversion once they see it in all it's glory

The Throttle body has the fuel pump attached directly to the injector all contained in the throttle body and gravity fed just like any MC carb Due to the low fuel volume there is no need for a high volume in tank mounted / cooled pump

the system is completely modular and would be as easy if not easier than maintaining a regular carb thus making the TW even simpler

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post

If your battery is completely dead, can a fuel injected bike be bump started, or kickstarted, if it has a kicker?

you will need to have a battery with a charge but most of us do

I bet you could start the TW with a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug hole with would allow kick starting enough to get voltage output from the generator

you could also carry a lithium ion starter pocket pack to get starting voltage with a dead battery

even if it wouldn't work I'd still prefer the FI over the carb

this will be an optional conversion we will not force any of you to vote for Trump or to convert to FI lol

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post

That is a great question. I asked it as well to a Husqvarna engineer at an event.

He said all the electronics is why new huskies have no kickstart option. Not enough juice..

Whether that applies to all forms, makes and models of fuel injection I can not say.

He said the injectors, pumps etc used too much juice.

In my case, two injectors, two pumps and two spark plugs in/for one cylinder. Then add in a huge ecm, emissions controls, always on lights, air pumps for the emissions, relays.. etc..

BUT it is 80 horsepower so I: "put up with it"

So in my case a battery is needed. Bump start, never tried it. If the battery ever dies way back in the pines.. I may too. It's a long walk. The sand is just to deep too even push a bike a few feet no less bump it.

Again, great question and a valid concern. That's why my deep expeditions are generally on the TW. I trust it. Granted the Husqy has been rock solid reliable.. However, it really is a rolling computer.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

Sounds good Fred, probably just need a crank position sensor, and a few other things. Send me the bike, i'll test it

Quote Originally Posted by PlacerLode View Post
    Unless and until you've seen the brilliant simplicity of the vavnan's FI it's impossible to see why this is a worthwhile upgrade. While TrailWoman may have not had carb issues I can say the great majority of TW owners have and still do have carb maintenance issues some spending up to $500 by scammer dealers for so called carb repairs (and ALL dealers are scammers)

I've owned a few TW's and I'm pretty sure I had to repair every carb even on one I bought with 4 actual miles, perhaps 2 or 3 TW's out of a LOT I've owned or helped people acquire did not need carb work

I know the great majority will prefer this conversion once they see it in all it's glory

The Throttle body has the fuel pump attached directly to the injector all contained in the throttle body and gravity fed just like any MC carb Due to the low fuel volume there is no need for a high volume in tank mounted / cooled pump

the system is completely modular and would be as easy if not easier than maintaining a regular carb thus making the TW even simpler
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links