New to me - lovely 2010 TW with 4K miles
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New to me - lovely 2010 TW with 4K miles

New to me - lovely 2010 TW with 4K miles

Hi - I’m new here. I’ve been spending some time on your site and appreciate all the good feedback and advice. Looking to do some quick upgrades to get better performance and response. The TW is a whole new bike experience for me. I’ve been away from motorcycles for a while recovering from an accident. My motorcycling history is primarily street biking and some off road dirt biking. I’m really comfortable on motorcycles but this one has got me a bit puzzled. I guess I’m looking for a little more zip or throttle response so to speak - but maybe I’m expecting too much. I guess I need to spend more time on the bike. I would appreciate some advice. Besides some adjustments, I need to buy fold down mirrors, hand guards, small rear bag and a new chain. Would a new spring and front shocks help? I would think it would. Tell me about pipes - does a new pipe and jetting really make a significant difference? Sorry - full of questions.

Thereís not a lot you can do to improve the speed, other than play around with the sprocket ratios Ė but if you do that, what you gain on one hand, you lose on the other

You can get a bit more response from the throttle if you play with the carb, though thatís not my area of expertise, Iím sure someone who can help you with that will be along shortly

Exhaust pipes Ė now thatís the way to go Ė if you like loud pipes that is. But although your ears will tell you you are going faster, in fact, you wonít be

If youíre on tarmac, tire pressure can help Ė as can tire choices

But first and foremost Ė get used to the bike as is Ė you may be pleasantly surprised

Judging it by your previous bikes is not the way to go ÖÖ

Welcome to the board ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Welcome!

I just picked up an '09 10 days ago myself!
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    2003 Honda CBR600RR - Race/Track bike
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Motofish View Post
    Hi - Iím new here. Iíve been spending some time on your site and appreciate all the good feedback and advice. Looking to do some quick upgrades to get better performance and response. The TW is a whole new bike experience for me. Iíve been away from motorcycles for a while recovering from an accident. My motorcycling history is primarily street biking and some off road dirt biking. Iím really comfortable on motorcycles but this one has got me a bit puzzled. I guess Iím looking for a little more zip or throttle response so to speak - but maybe Iím expecting too much. I guess I need to spend more time on the bike. I would appreciate some advice. Besides some adjustments, I need to buy fold down mirrors, hand guards, small rear bag and a new chain. Would a new spring and front shocks help? I would think it would. Tell me about pipes - does a new pipe and jetting really make a significant difference? Sorry - full of questions.
    Hey MotoFish, Welcome !

Where are you? Put it in your info so we have an idea of where you ride. What's the elevation? With that we would know what size jets to run as a good starting point etc. Usually you will find a 128 main jet as stock main in the newer style carb that you have (if it's an east coast bike, westies come many times with a 126 I hear) and both are good for most areas/elevations.

There are a lot of things that will help but nothing is going to make it seem like a "different bike". Regardless, you can do alot with it. Have you spent much time off-road yet?

For instance i'm at sea level and run a 130 main jet in my 2010 but would not run that at 5000 ft.

End of day adding "pipes" based on the feedback from many members has not seemed to increase the power enough to feel it in the seat of the pants, even with jetting. Going to a bigger main jet helps mildly in the upper mid to hi end but definitely lets the engine run cooler for me (as measured with a fluke) on the same afternoon where and how I ride. Your results may be different. I actually could tell without measurement that the engine was generally running cooler.

The TW is suited for many things, it's not a motocross bike by any means but I will take it many times where I would not take my other bikes. It has a purpose and suits it well.

So welcome aboard!
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Welcome to the forum. I like Purpleís advice. Get to know the bike first. Get it running as good as possible as is before you upgrade or modify.

Itís a 13(?) HP dual sport/ enduro that is good at a lot of things, but itís never gonna be a freeway cruiser or drag strip champion.

My only experience is with stock exhaust, but many here have reported improvements with DG or FMF. I believe they both require carb rejetting. I donít want to annoy my neighbors right now but would eventually like to try one. Theyíre pretty pricey.

I spent most of my money on RaceTech suspension upgrades because I canít ride 50 feet around here without hitting a pothole. It made a substantial improvement when compared to my stock bike. Again, rather pricey. Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    I spent most of my money on RaceTech suspension upgrades because I canít ride 50 feet around here without hitting a pothole. It made a substantial improvement when compared to my stock bike. Again, rather pricey. Cheers
    Can you share what you did, and your weight?

That's the biggest disappointment thus far is the ride. Not as supple as I'd expected, but then again, I'm sure they need fresh oil at a minimum. Would love something with some sort of rebound, compression, damping adjustability.
    PlacerLode likes this.
    Jeff
    2009 Yamaha TW200
    2005 Suzuki DR650
    2003 Honda CBR600RR - Race/Track bike
    1985 Honda 250ES Big Red

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyTide View Post
    Can you share what you did, and your weight?

That's the biggest disappointment thus far is the ride. Not as supple as I'd expected, but then again, I'm sure they need fresh oil at a minimum. Would love something with some sort of rebound, compression, damping adjustability.
    the OEM springs are deplorable but buy a set of ProCycle front springs and the emulators are also worth the cost but at the very least the springs keep front front from sagging with just the weight of the rider standing still mine was 80% compressed up front.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Welcome New Guys!
    My method for optimizing perceived performance is to lower my expectations. Then the TW is perfect, it affordably does what it was designed to do.
    Of course one can throw improvements on. Builder of one of my bikes swapped forks and shock for those from a Tri-Z and Blaster respectively, used stuff from the Yamaha parts bin. A few more inches of suspension travel really helps the bike not try to spit you off when hitting a bump or rut at speed. All these mods listed so far are easy to do, no seriously complicated machining.
    Old n dirty likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. ďMr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered Iíld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks for the feedback. I've added my details in now. I'm in Indiana. I just need to ride the bike for a while and get used to. I'm not sure what I expected but know that it's a good bike. The feedback that you've provided helps with my confidence in my purchase. It's just very different than any bike I've owned. I've done plenty of off-road riding but not with the TW yet. I'll check in after I've put some miles on it off-road. Just need to make some adjustments so it fits me well. The bars are pretty low for me so need to adjust with risers or new bars. Planning to get a pipe for it soon, hand guards and wider foot pegs for sure. Hopefully with some more riding I'll be pleasantly surprised and feel better. And mine is a 2010 with 4k miles on it. White with red decals. All original. Thanks all - Wanda
    Last edited by Motofish; 07-04-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Forgot it add something
    JerseyJeeper and Old n dirty like this.

Welcome from Bel Air MD.
    If Iím ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links