47 tooth rear sprocket.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 47 tooth rear sprocket.

Lightbulb 47 tooth rear sprocket.

I changed the stock 50t sprocket to a 47t. Makes first gear a lot more usable. There is a definite decrease in torque and you get about 500RPM less at 90km/h in 5th gear.

I didn't change the chain to a 120link instead of a 122link, like recommended. The 122link chain still works but your cam (I don't know the right work for the thing that move's the wheel back and makes the chain therefore more tensed) is set to the position marked by a 7.

The part number for the new sprocket I put on is: JTR1842.47 (perfect fit)

Overall it's the best compromise highway-off-road if you do mostly trails and only need a little more top speed for when you need to do a little bit of highway.

36762457_1793698944050580_9199959379850297344_n-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just out of curiosity, what size front sprocket are you using?

One of the guys riding the mountain trails and roads with us in Green Ridge recently didn't care for the 47 tooth rear sprocket. It was nice to have the low first gear in the technical stuff. I think I'm going 52, next time around. 47 tooth for me lost to much torque in 5th but many do like it. I guess to each his own for where and how they ride. I am running stock now, but heading up those mountain roads could have been just right with a 52, won't know unless I try and that's what it's all about trying things out, else you're in a box of your own making.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Kaz, I'm curious... Do you know how much top speed you gained?
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

Quote Originally Posted by imlost View Post
    Kaz, I'm curious... Do you know how much top speed you gained?
    I know you didn't ask me BUT I have been running a VERY similar gearing 15/50 for few years now and I would say you gain ZERO top speed. What you do gain is a more relaxed engine between 55 and 60 mph. Just my two cents.

Tom
    Kaz, werwolf, grewen and 2 others like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

"Kaz, I'm curious... Do you know how much top speed you gained?"

I don't know about the 47 or what kind of top end you get with stock gearing but I run a stock front and 45 rear which gives me a top speed of 118 km/hr (73 mph) and it will cruise all day at 110 km/hr.
    JerseyJeeper, Kaz and werwolf like this.

I did the 47T swap almost as soon as I bought my TDub. If I knew how to find my frikkin mods post ("So Far") I had an RPM comparison. Bottom line was for a 50-50 bike the Yamaha engineers got it just about perfect and I recall Gary L. telling me not to bother, won't make much of a difference. Did I listen, NO of course. Just changing the rear sprocket from 50 to 47 is so minimal that the tiny loss of torque at the low-end or the lower revs at the high end are minimal, a tiny edge over stock if you still want it to be 50-50.Maybe it's 49-51 now, HaHa.

But the JT sprocket is a nicely engineered product over stock and changing to an "X-Ring" chain from the crappy factory chain was a big upgrade. So in the end those are what justifies the change for me and makes me feel warm inside.
    For anyone thinking about doing it (50 to 47) I'd say don't bother. If you were going to Increase or decrease teeth substantially and primarily for street duty or trail duty... yeah, go for it.
    Been down this sprocket alchemy road already years ago with a KLR where everybody was either prepping their bikes for a trip that never happened to Patagonia, Chile or Paterson, New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    I did the 47T swap almost as soon as I bought my TDub. If I knew how to find my frikkin mods post ("So Far") I had an RPM comparison. Bottom line was for a 50-50 bike the Yamaha engineers got it just about perfect and I recall Gary L. telling me not to bother, won't make much of a difference. Did I listen, NO of course. Just changing the rear sprocket from 50 to 47 is so minimal that the tiny loss of torque at the low-end or the lower revs at the high end are minimal, a tiny edge over stock if you still want it to be 50-50.Maybe it's 49-51 now, HaHa.

But the JT sprocket is a nicely engineered product over stock and changing to an "X-Ring" chain from the crappy factory chain was a big upgrade. So in the end those are what justifies the change for me and makes me feel warm inside.
    For anyone thinking about doing it (50 to 47) I'd say don't bother. If you were going to Increase or decrease teeth substantially and primarily for street duty or trail duty... yeah, go for it.
    Been down this sprocket alchemy road already years ago with a KLR where everybody was either prepping their bikes for a trip that never happened to Patagonia, Chile or Paterson, New Jersey.
    Paterson! You need some serious gearing there..
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

the stock 14tooth
    buellzebub likes this.

Yeah I don't have mountains in my area it's pretty flat and there's not a lot of trails so I have to travel sometimes half an hour going 90km/h to find trails..
    SpeedyTide and werwolf like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links