xt225 Tank Guys/Gals - Page 2
Close

Poll: Which tank?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: xt225 Tank Guys/Gals

I mashed the tank puck tabs in, instead of cutting them. So I could bend back out if I ever want to go back stock. Just threw the tank and seat on to see if I like. Think it might actually look better than stock...

Does put a wrinkle in seat, hoping that smooths out with time. Have to push down pretty hard on the seat to get it on, tempted to heat up the seat plastic with a heat gun and form it a little bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ZacoWacko; 07-13-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    Fred and GCRAD1 like this.

Nice!
    ZacoWacko likes this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

2006 TW with a 2005 XT tank, that's the exact combo on my dad's bike. i think it looks sharp. further, my bike has 2006 TW plastic with a 2005 XT tank, but an all black seat. looks sharp!
    i also think it looks better than the stock tank, plus with 1/2 gallon more, what's not to like?
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    2006 TW with a 2005 XT tank, that's the exact combo on my dad's bike. i think it looks sharp. further, my bike has 2006 TW plastic with a 2005 XT tank, but an all black seat. looks sharp!
    i also think it looks better than the stock tank, plus with 1/2 gallon more, what's not to like?
    I think i like it too, lol. I've looked at your bike quite a bit for inspiration. Reason i have 2 225's sitting in the corner waiting to be built, lol. Now i need to get the tire, hand guards, and risers on, that have been collecting dust in the corner. Too many projects, lol. I finally got the front pods and led headlight in not too long ago, was too hairy at night with old stock light.

Have you ever had any issues with the side plastic, now that doesnt pop into the tank? Did you do anything to hold the front of it down?
    Last edited by ZacoWacko; 07-13-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    joeband likes this.

"Have you ever had any issues with the side plastic, now that doesnt pop into the tank? Did you do anything to hold the front of it down?"
    -For left side cover I glued a small strong rare earth magnet to cover that then grabs metal tank. For right side I cut a slot in top web of right side plastic cover that engages metal tank flange. Both have held up well for about 3 years other than magnet can collect magnetite dust over time. Either technique might work on both sides, I was just experimenting with different approaches on my tank.

Seat fabric wrinkles are usually not self healing. Removing a few staples at the nose and re-stretching fabric then new staples can help. I used dremel tool to cut some of the reinforcing webbing on backside of seat pan to increase seat pan flexibility permitting greater ease of seat installation.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    "Have you ever had any issues with the side plastic, now that doesnt pop into the tank? Did you do anything to hold the front of it down?"
    -For left side cover I glued a small strong rare earth magnet to cover that then grabs metal tank. For right side I cut a slot in top web of right side plastic cover that engages metal tank flange. Both have held up well for about 3 years other than magnet can collect magnetite dust over time. Either technique might work on both sides, I was just experimenting with different approaches on my tank.

Seat fabric wrinkles are usually not self healing. Removing a few staples at the nose and re-stretching fabric then new staples can help. I used dremel tool to cut some of the reinforcing webbing on backside of seat pan to increase seat pan flexibility permitting greater ease of seat installation.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to look at that next chance i get some time.

i trimmed the top of of my seat pan about 2" to come up the xt tank a bit less.

for my plastic i actually cut the tabs off of my old worn plastic and glued them on the new plastics so the tabs fit in the correct holes.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

My side plastics have had no attachment points with my xt350 tank for several years, and have never caused a problem.
    Seat wrinkles are best dealt with by having an accessory (tank) bag cover them up. I use an old cd carrier for papers, emergency stuff and ???
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    i trimmed the top of of my seat pan about 2" to come up the xt tank a bit less.

for my plastic i actually cut the tabs off of my old worn plastic and glued them on the new plastics so the tabs fit in the correct holes.
    Wow the glue holds huh. Figured you'd have to plastic weld or something. I'll have to look at trimming, and cutting some support out. Or maybe heat it up and form back some.

Any photos of the cut seat?
    Last edited by ZacoWacko; 07-14-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Well i put my TW tank up for sale in the classifieds. Just be warned, its a long read, lol. Just wanted anyone getting it, to go in eyes wide open.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links