xt225 Tank Guys/Gals
Close

Poll: Which tank?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: xt225 Tank Guys/Gals

xt225 Tank Guys/Gals

Well i was going to sell this tank to recoup some $ for my eventual 225 build. Then i looked at a couple of threads with the xt225 tanks on, couple grey, couple white, and thought: damn that looks pretty nice!!
    Then looked at my bike and saw my plastics were black, just with blue stickers. Only knock so far is the blue upper section of my seat. So what you guys/gals think, look weird with the blue seat?
    Seems xt tank pulls more $ on ebay than the tw tank, but not many tw tanks to go by. What would one expect to get for the tw tank like mine? If the difference ain't much, may try the xt route.

Decisions, decisions, lol... Poll up top for fun, lol!

20180412_185128.jpg20180628_073951_1530193838699.jpg

Install XT tank, transfer side panel graphics with heat gun then add a "W" for the ex-TW look, top off with a all black Seat Concepts kit?
    Trail Woman, Purple and Gulfrider like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

You can always paint or recover the seat...I believe the seat pan will also need mods to fit the angle of the XT tank but worth it IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I did it and love it. Increased distance and lots of compliments. I never had to modify the seat pan, only the side panels.....
    putt-putt

Well took my a while to fish the old gas cap pieces out of the tank last night and then i filled it with evapo-rust, since it had a nice layer of surface rust. Already looked clean inside this morning. May go take a look at lunch. Need to go find my pocket knife anyway. 2yr old picked it up and made off with it at some point, so now its buried treasure somewhere outside. Wonder if there is any interest for the stock tank?

Anybody have experience derusting a tank? Last time i did one, i dried it with a heat gun after rinsing and it immediately flash rusted. Not enough to concern me, but annoying. I'm thinking maybe rinse it out with water to get the evapo-rust out and then maybe wd-40 this time, to displace the water. Then let it air dry...

I've never done this but I came across some stuff researching building a gas tank....

There are resin coating kits just for gas tanks available to seal remaining rust damage. You can always run an inline filter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    I've never done this but I came across some stuff researching building a gas tank....

There are resin coating kits just for gas tanks available to seal remaining rust damage. You can always run an inline filter as well.
    I dont need to seal it. The evapo-rust frees it all from the tank, its just light rust. But, after drying it, the fresh bare metal will flash rust, with a light surface rust. Its mostly just annoying, you add gas back and it never really gets any worse, as long as you use 100% gas anyway, lol. Well, and dont let it sit forever.

Anyway, just seems like i remember someone saying once they used wd-40 to displace the water and leave a light coating to keep it from flash rusting. I may go ahead and try it out anyway. Nice thing about evapo-rust is you can re-use it. Also, its biodegradable and non-toxic.

I'd set the XT tank in place on the TW and see how it looks as-is.

It has a blue stripe which matches the front of your seat, the silver matches your frame, and the lower black stripe should flow nicely in to your black side panels.

I think it will look great!
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 07-12-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

From memory – I think that Fred had / has the XT tank on one of his bikes – and rather “swish” it looks too

Also from memory – I believe he lost one of the side / air flow / pretty bits at one stage, so if you do go down that route, take the man’s advice

Re your existing tank – several people here have done wonders re-sealing / restoring the inside of their tanks, so it can be done – but re-sale value is likely to reflect the quality of the final finish

To that end, if you do decide to “re-seal” the inside of your TW tank (for whatever reason), I’d recommend starting a thread dedicated to doing so – you’ll get better advice, and a better finish because of this …..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    From memory – I think that Fred had / has the XT tank on one of his bikes – and rather “swish” it looks too

Also from memory – I believe he lost one of the side / air flow / pretty bits at one stage, so if you do go down that route, take the man’s advice

Re your existing tank – several people here have done wonders re-sealing / restoring the inside of their tanks, so it can be done – but re-sale value is likely to reflect the quality of the final finish

To that end, if you do decide to “re-seal” the inside of your TW tank (for whatever reason), I’d recommend starting a thread dedicated to doing so – you’ll get better advice, and a better finish because of this …..
    Thanks for the info. I dumped out the evapo-rust from the XT tank at lunch. All the rust was gone, save for a tiny bit in two corners, not enough to be concerned with. I then rinsed it real well with water and after that sprayed quite a bit of generic wd-40 in the tank to keep it from flash rusting. I sloshed that all around and closed her up and came back to work. Really impressed with how it came out.

If i decide to go with the XT tank, i may do my TW tank again to remove the flash rust it received when i treated it, and follow same procedure i did on the XT. Provided the WD-40 doesnt give me any issues. I plan to give it a couple rinses with some gas to remove most of the WD-40, before i put it into service.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links