Tire reassurance.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Tire reassurance.

Tire reassurance.

Hi folks!

I'm a new owner of a 2018 Tw 200 and I've been reading thru all of the posts here and the first thing usually mentioned is to replace the front tire.
    At first I thought well just ride with what you have and replace it when it wears out.
    Then I went off road.
    The first hill climb with a puddle in the middle of it and the front tire washed out and threw me to the ground. LOL it was so fast I did not even have time to put my feet down.
    I should have listened to all you nice folks.

So off to Rocky MT ATV/MC to pick a new tire.

I've got the Pirelli MT 43 4.00x18 64p on my wish list.
    Now the reviews for this tire is great but it may raise the height of the bike by 1 inch.
    The 1 inch thing may be a problem because I'm already on tip-toe at 5'3.
    This tire gets great reviews in sand and dry areas but not much is mentioned about the muddy, rocky, snot we can see here in New England.
    This tire also gets high grades for high speed road behavior.

Second choice

The forum favorite is the Shinko SR241 4.00x18 64p
    This is popular tire because of the price, but the reviews do not mention to much about road behavior or off road traction in the east coast snot.
    There is no mention about this tire raising the height of the bike.
    But I have to also take into account how popular this tire is in this community.

So I guess I just need to know if I'm picking the right size tire and will the stock tube work with this tire?
    And which tire should I pick for the rocky muck I may see here on the east coast.

Thanks!
    T.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

The 241 is a good all-rounder – very few tires are recommended for their price

I have no experience of the Pirelli – but I will say that if it raises the front by an inch, this can be countered by lowering the forks in the triple trees – but at the end of the day, it’s your in-seam that counts
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Thanks for the input Purple. I did not think about lowering the forks.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lowering the forks may also reduce suspension travel and you only have ~ 6 inches max to play with.
    With forks raised as much as possible on full compression there is only about a half inch of clearance before top of fender hits bottom of triple clamps. Lowering forks one inch means fender will bottom out on clamps that much sooner.
    Replacing OEM fender with a high mounted fender reclaims a bit of clearance, this is popular with off-roaders here and especially those who deal with mud. Stock fender has minimal clearance with tire and it is very easy to get enough mud build-up so that tire will no longer turn. This problem is aggravated by a taller tire.
    Raising the fender or carrying a good tool to dig mud, stones and twigs out of tiny gap between fender and tire whenever that tire stops rolling might be a good idea if your mud has a gummy clay nature. Mud induced wheel lock is no fun.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Lowering the forks may also reduce suspension travel and you only have ~ 6 inches max to play with.
    With forks raised as much as possible on full compression there is only about a half inch of clearance before top of fender hits bottom of triple clamps. Lowering forks one inch means fender will bottom out on clamps that much sooner.
    Replacing OEM fender with a high mounted fender reclaims a bit of clearance, this is popular with off-roaders here and especially those who deal with mud. Stock fender has minimal clearance with tire and it is very easy to get enough mud build-up so that tire will no longer turn. This problem is aggravated by a taller tire.
    Raising the fender or carrying a good tool to dig mud, stones and twigs out of tiny gap between fender and tire whenever that tire stops rolling might be a good idea if your mud has a gummy clay nature. Mud induced wheel lock is no fun.

Thanks your input Fred!

Will the Shinko 241 raise the bike also or is the sidewall softer?

It's a very soft sidewall and it is very close to stock in it's stance. It's also very easy to install compared to the stock or shinko 244. The 244 is too hard for colder climates.

I ride it off road and in the north eastern terrain it does very well. My only concern is with deeper mud which I've yet to experience but in shallower mud it's soft flexible knobs clear mud easily if moving fast enough. It might not be the best in some exteme conditions but over all it is really good in a variety of terrains. I ran it all winter in the snow on wet roots, moss, loam, dirt road, sand, mud, rock. Great tire.
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 07-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWCurling2018 View Post
    Hi folks!

I'm a new owner of a 2018 Tw 200 and I've been reading thru all of the posts here and the first thing usually mentioned is to replace the front tire.
    At first I thought well just ride with what you have and replace it when it wears out.
    Then I went off road.
    The first hill climb with a puddle in the middle of it and the front tire washed out and threw me to the ground. LOL it was so fast I did not even have time to put my feet down.
    I should have listened to all you nice folks.

So off to Rocky MT ATV/MC to pick a new tire.

I've got the Pirelli MT 43 4.00x18 64p on my wish list.
    Now the reviews for this tire is great but it may raise the height of the bike by 1 inch.
    The 1 inch thing may be a problem because I'm already on tip-toe at 5'3.
    This tire gets great reviews in sand and dry areas but not much is mentioned about the muddy, rocky, snot we can see here in New England.
    This tire also gets high grades for high speed road behavior.

Second choice

The forum favorite is the Shinko SR241 4.00x18 64p
    This is popular tire because of the price, but the reviews do not mention to much about road behavior or off road traction in the east coast snot.
    There is no mention about this tire raising the height of the bike.
    But I have to also take into account how popular this tire is in this community.

So I guess I just need to know if I'm picking the right size tire and will the stock tube work with this tire?
    And which tire should I pick for the rocky muck I may see here on the east coast.

Thanks!
    T.
    I would take a look at the 244 as well. My .02 based off experience is the 241 is not the best tire for mud. The 244 is a significant enough improvement that its worth looking at over the 241. A good friend of mine had a 241 on the front of his and up here in New England he was not happy with it. In the heavy loam based mud we have here in the spring it would just load up, not clean itself and become a racing slick. I rode with his bike a bunch of times to get a comparison and the 241 was not a tire i would choose for loose loam and mud like we have here.

On road i have never rode the 241 but i can tall you the 244 is great.
    TWinning, Peterb and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I've got a Dunlop 606 on the front. Great in the NE snotty stuff. Not sure how long it will last on pavement and probably a little extreme. But it does grab good in the mud!

606.JPG
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

the 606 looks alot like the maxxis 6006 that I had for several years that has been discontinued. Only problem I had was it cupped pretty fast and after I put on a 241 boy could I feel the difference. Bike was a joy to ride again.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

The 241 is pretty good on the road for a knobby. Most of my experience is with the TW203 so the heavy feel of the 241 is taking me quite a bit of time to get comfortable.
    Peterb and jtomelliott49 like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links