Frank and Charolette
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Frank and Charolette

I've been waiting to get into a TW until I found one that was cheap enough, close enough, and running enough that I could justify it while I work on my street legal BW project. That glorious day came last week when I saw that LuvNot had posted her bikes Frank ('99) and Charolette ('96) for sale with a ton of extra parts for $1500.

The wife gave me permission (on our anniversary no less) and I set up the deal with LuvNot. We met up halfway on Saturday and I drove the 2 hours back running through all the options in my head. Once I got back home and had a chance to really look over the bikes and all the parts I decided Frank (short for Frankenstein) was probably modded past the point of economically returning to stock, and that Charolette was almost completely stock (except for the handlebars and maybe one or two other things).

Frank kicked right over and was taken around the block while Charolette and the parts were loaded into the shed. I spent the first couple of hours troubleshooting Charolette--the float was stuck and the inlet had to be cleaned out but once fuel was flowing I got her to run for about 20 seconds holding the throttle partially open.

Since then I have turned my attention to Frank; I ended up robbing the plastics and rear turn signal off of Charolette, making a new mount for and reinstalling the clear Clark XT350 tank, and disassembling the cowl to paint it white and reinstalled it with new stainless hardware. I really like the way he is turning out.

Oddly the kill switch doesn't do a thing and the horn doesn't work. Could those two things be related? I ordered a new battery to help with troubleshooting on the bikes, which should get here on Thursday. Other than those two things, I will be getting the seat cover modified to fit the tank wrinkle-free. Though, it is tempting to source the parts for a front disk brake and use all of the TTR parts I have to convert him into a high compression 225cc 6 speed...

Overall I am really happy with deal. I love having kickers on both bikes and its nice to have a clean stocker and one to farkle. Sadly, in the long-term I will almost certainly have to let one of them go (and maybe both once the BW is finished, which is quite a ways off), but hopefully I can get a few good rides in with my wife and perhaps one solo weekend trip before that day comes!

Nice. It looks like a fun project for you.

For the horn, try hooking up the horn unit to the other bike to see if it's the horn or the power supply. If it's the horn, try turning the adjustment screw in or out.
    If it's not getting power, you may need to take apart the switch and clean the contacts. On the '87 I'm working on, it was a combination of both these things.

It may be oxidized contacts on the kill switch, too. Personally, I've trained myself not to rely on the kill switch and just use the key. That way, there's no chance of running the battery down by leaving the key on.
    Badgerflorida likes this.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

Wondered what happened to LuvNot. She came to the San Rafael Group Ride in Utah this spring then kind of disappeared.
    Always sad to lose track of a respected forum member but at least her bikes will continue on here courtesy of YBW.
    Frank sure is looking better in white.
    Badgerflorida and LuvNot like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That’s a smokin deal. Glad that set stayed in the family so to speak. Good advice from imlost on the horn I was also lucky enough to have a second bike to help with testing. I finally had to spray mine generously with WD40 and bang on it something inside it must have been corroded and stuck. Works as weak as ever now. Killswitch on my 01 has also never worked since I’ve owned, I just use the key and they don’t inspect older bikes that closely here in WI for license/title. Cheers
    Last edited by Badgerflorida; 07-17-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

Thanks everyone, and I agree--the white is looking quite good! I didn't have a chance to do much more than pop the old battery in to try the horn again. All I could hear was some type of click when I pushed the button down, I will have to try unsticking it when the new battery gets here.

I did however get the title transferred/registration/insurance and took Frank out on a few mile jaunt to get gas and get a better feel for what might need done. Overall things are good but it seems almost everything needs "dialed in", which is essentially what LuvNot told me. I'm worried these street tires are going to have me spoiled by the time I get the knobbies back on.

The inspection runs out at the end of this month, so I have a couple of weeks to get the horn fixed. I usually don't use the kill switch either but I figure its good to have in the event of a stuck throttle or something like that. Here is another pic from today, it seems like the gas tank matches better when its full?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mel likes this.

If it's clicking or making a "ka-tunk" sound, it's getting power and your switch is working. It sounds like it just needs adjusting. Just back-off / turn-in the little phillips screw on the front.

Remember, if you need to kill it in an emergency, you can always pull the plug wire, provided you wiped-out with the right side of the bike - up. Be ready to get shocked and to hear a backfire, and remember - Your shorts can always be cleaned.

It looks pretty sweet. I think I'd leave those tires on Frank and have a nice pavement bike, and make Charlotte in to the boonie-crasher. If you do that, put the rack on Charlotte. She needs a big rack.
    TWy to make a TWip to the TWails to make some TWacks.

Hmmm its more of a simple "click" that sounds like its coming from under the seat, not the horn, so maybe a relay or something? I don't know what I punch into my phone but I just realized it autocorrects to Charolette instead of Charlotte, maybe someone could do me a solid and change the title for me

I've never really understood the attraction of the supermoto style bikes, I will need to do some reading.
    Talking about big racks, I have a Tinman Tim rack that was included with the bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Wondered what happened to LuvNot. She came to the San Rafael Group Ride in Utah this spring then kind of disappeared.
    Always sad to lose track of a respected forum member but at least her bikes will continue on here courtesy of YBW.
    Frank sure is looking better in white.
    Still here, just not as active. Little under the weather and busy with doctor stuff as well as house stuff. Hopefully this break will be short. Just really have to get things taken care of so I can move forward with plans!

I'm really glad to see Frank and Charlotte are in great hands! It's exciting to see them up and running and being used as intended. I look forward to seeing the end results when he's finished
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Good that you are still involved in the forum, LoveNot!
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

So the battery got in and its definitely something under the right side cover that makes a single click when I press the horn button. I found the starter doesn't work either. I took the right side controls apart and the contacts looked good, so I'm assuming its something to do with the wiring of the whole control? Any ideas?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links