Shorty Brake and Clutch Levers for 2001+ TW's
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Shorty Brake and Clutch Levers for 2001+ TW's

Shorty Brake and Clutch Levers for 2001+ TW's

My friend Putt-putt was kind enough to send me these blue beauties that he purchased, but was unable to fit onto his TW. He was right, they didn't even come close to fitting, so I sold them on Craigslist.

IMG_0101.JPG

After a little research, I used the proceeds from the sale of these blue ones to buy a couple of pairs of these grey ones to confirm that they would indeed fit on 2001 and up TW's (front disc brake models). They took a couple of weeks to get here with free shipping from China, but they are very nicely made and fit perfectly. I kept one set and mailed the other set to Putt-putt who just received them.

Here is how they compare to the stock levers.

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

Attachment 182530

Attachment 182534

IMG_0618.JPG

Note: You will need to re-use the small coil spring that fits inside the stock brake lever, so be careful not to lose it.

Here is the link for the ones I ordered, I selected the WR250R, years 2007-2016:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281877805907

Less than $20.00 for the pair and they come in various colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

those look perfect I used to love shorty levers on my old Yamaha MXB's

I'm guessing they are adjustable which would be great for the TW clutch lever and the notorious late release point
    TW-Brian, SpeedyTide, Ken and 1 others like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Thanks for the review and link. Ordered.
    TW-Brian, Miaugi and jtomelliott49 like this.
    The bear slayer!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

more bling on brian's bike... mine would be lipstick on a pig. very sharp looking!

what's the reason they wouldn't fit a easily on a pre-2001 bike? inquiring drum brakers wanna know.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Here is the link for the ones I ordered, I selected the WR250R, years 2007-2016:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281877805907
    They look really cool. They also list a TW200 fitment, so just out of curiosity why did you choose the WR250 ones? Or was it the TW ones that didn't fit originally?

Edit: Sorry, forget that ^^ it won't let me select TW after all.
    Last edited by buellzebub; 07-26-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    PlacerLode and jtomelliott49 like this.

This time I'm serious, I copied the link/info and emailed it to myself so I won't have to remember where I found it. Too many times in the past I've forgotten and can't find the links when these shorty levers come up in a thread.

Thanks TW-Brian, you the man...again.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Feeling priviledged.........these levers are S W E E T! Thank you again for your thoughtfulness Brian! Installation should occur today followed by a report and picture..........
    TW-Brian, Gerry, Miaugi and 4 others like this.
    putt-putt

Sorry I gave an imprecise link for these last year, interested parties were directed at that time to find the cross reference for their bike before ordering . LittleTommy posted a link for the drum brake model at that time. But once again parts for TWs have very few listings, however many parts on TWs are shared with many other Yamaha models. Simply find cross references for your model year when a listing for a TW is not obvious, then order item for a comparable bike..in this instance levers from 2007 through 2016 WR250s as well as from other models and other manufactures will fit disc brake equipped TW200s.
    Boats.net used to feature cross reference listings, have not checked lately though.

Anyways I have been using these shorty levers for a few years now and really like them. Very hard for an impact displaced handguard to trap the lever like what can easily happen with a stock lever and those tight fitting Acerbis and their Chinese clone hand guards. One or two finger operation is easy leaving other fingers free to hang on. Plus they tend to pivot out of the way rather than bend or break.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-26-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    more bling on brian's bike... mine would be lipstick on a pig. very sharp looking!

what's the reason they wouldn't fit a easily on a pre-2001 bike? inquiring drum brakers wanna know.
    Hi Joe,

The clutch lever should work fine, so you could put lipstick on one of your pig's lips !

However, the front brake lever and perch for the 1987 - 2000 TW's must accommodate a brake cable, while the 2001+ front brake utilizes a perch mounted master cylinder and the brake lever needs only a small nub to actuate the plunger on the master cylinder.

Maybe one of you drum brakers can do a little research and see if there are any of these shorty levers that will work for your bikes.

Brian

Thanks for the post and link....just ordered a set myself! Cheers!
    admiral and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links