Rear rack gear box
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Rear rack gear box

Rear rack gear box

So I just installed my Cycleracks rear rack. Thanks Don & Marc. Now I would like to put a SOLID gear box on it. My idea is that I want to mount my rotopax to the back of the box and the lid still open freely. I don't have the rear hoop on my rack so I have 14" to work with front to back, including the 3 1/2" rotopax. I would like to stay within the 18" side to side as well. Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Resized_20180801_165427.jpeg

Hey Cowboy...can't help you with your question, but just noticed your license plate .
    Thank you for your Service my friend...I appreciate you!
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

My honor to serve. No worries everyone, found a tool box that fit perfectly, mounted it, tried it, hated it. On to the next bright idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I added a 2x4 under mine and painted it black for extra support. I have heard way to many horror stores of broken welds. This should keep the rack from flexing.

DA73DDE7-19FD-46EB-9FE4-DE7736184ADA.jpeg

5626C60D-AB98-44B2-80BB-B8C06CC009B3.jpeg
    Last edited by TopPredator; 08-06-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

I run a Pelican case and I like it. Waterproof and tough but a little on the heavy side.
    IMG_20180624_163047523_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Peterb; 08-04-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    Ken likes this.

I bought a TW that had this custom fitted Pelican box easy to take on and off and very durable and waterproof
    specially fitted for a Cyclerack
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

i tried the rotopax on top of the top box on top of the cyclerack. didn't work out for me. the fuel tank was too heavy for the hings on the top box and the top box and fuel tank were too heavy for the cycle rack. it worked a lot better with a bigger gas tank, no BS with fuel transfer and the extra fuel weight worked better up front25.JPG
    Last edited by grewen; 08-04-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

I got a case from these guys...they are almost exact match to pelican but much less money. Various sizes available.

Cases | Newark element14
    Ken likes this.
    2005 Tdub

Kinda like this?

I like the idea of a 2x4 underneath to support it more. I should look into that.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"I thought the slowest bike i have ever owned was going to kill me." - Hidden Content

The John Birch Society is too Liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by NVcowboy View Post
    So I just installed my Cycleracks rear rack. Thanks Don & Marc. Now I would like to put a SOLID gear box on it. My idea is that I want to mount my rotopax to the back of the box and the lid still open freely. I don't have the rear hoop on my rack so I have 14" to work with front to back, including the 3 1/2" rotopax. I would like to stay within the 18" side to side as well. Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Resized_20180801_165427.jpeg
    Hey NVcowboy, thank you for your service! Too many people these days don't have a clue what you guys do for our freedoms and show no appreciation for the sacrifices our soldiers make!

IMHO you bought the best rack in the market. I also run a Cyclerack without the rear end hump with a 18" x 18" x 12" box (Hardigg military surplus from Sportsmanguide) fixed installed on it. On a normal day, I carry about 40lbs but I pushed it to 65lbs and occasionally take it off-road. See my profile pic...

After 3 years, the weld on the rear mount plate succumbed to fatigue. Not a welding or material issue, just that the rack flexes with that kind of weight and starts to swing around that weld point because the TW200, unlike most other bikes, does not have a real mount point any further back. Don and Marc are awesome guys and they replaced the rack... after 3 years of usage!!! These days, where do you find a company that stands by its product this way???!!!!

So I was thinking along the lines of a wood piece or something similar as TopPredator is suggesting, and that probably works well for most cases. At the time I was (and quietly still am) planning a Singapore to Beijing trip with my TW. I was going to put significantly more on it than 65lbs... side cases with tools and spare parts, bag and tent on the top case.... so I knew that the sub-frame which is under the rack would not support that weight, especially with off-road bumps and an occasional catching air.

Consequently, I put my engineering hat on and designed something I could print to solve the problem:
    KIMG7896.jpg

The design is based on the direct line between the mount points changing length when the rack swings, so the force is actually push-pull between the mount points (horizontal) vs. push-pull is the direction of gravity (vertical). The subframe back there is not made to withstand a lot of vertical forces but it can handle plenty of force horizontally.

I'm running with it for 2 years now and so far so good. With only 12kmi on this design I consider it a "tested prototype". I have not thought much about selling this directly, but if you're interested I'll send you one (for free ) for trying it out to let me know what you think how I can improve it and most importantly if you were able to break it!

Cheers, Bert.
    Last edited by wersonst; 08-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    1981 Vespa Piaggio PX80E
    1983 Zündapp KS80 Super
    2012 Yamaha TW200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links