Looking to add a little pep after sprocket change
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Looking to add a little pep after sprocket change

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar

Looking to add a little pep after sprocket change

Aloha T dubbas

I just swapped sprockets from stock 14/50 to 15/49. It’s a great feel and draws out the shift points on the bike and allows me to cruise the highway comfortably without worrying about blowing up the freshly rebuilt motor.

However it definitely feels like it lost a small amount of get up so I am looking into a dg exhaust and bigger main jet to give a little umpff. I recall watching a video of MotoMax riding his tw with freshly upgraded exhaust and jet and saying he noticed an improvement.

From my research it sounds like the 128 is a good up jet from the stock 125 or maybe even 130? I live at a few hundred feet and ride mostly sealevel with occasional climbs to 6k plus

Still not sure which of the slip on pipes will give the Most performance increase and waiting to hear back from DG to get there opinion.

Any suggestions you all have are greatly appreciated.

Love modding this thing and stoked there are others out there who feel the same about riding and wrenching these little bikes
    Donzo likes this.

After dealing with a tiny gearing change (47 rearsproket) that I'll say "I'm happy with" just to justify, losing 10lbs of weight (on me, not the bike) would give it more get-up-and-go.
    If you want to go full-bore street or full-bore dirt you'll feel the difference. Something in the middle... they pretty much come stock that way.
    Adding up most of the bolt-on accessories I've done most are for comfort. For better performance I bought a 250. Tweak-away.
    Peterb likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

What year is your TW? Have you done any work on the carb at all? There is a lot of info about carb tuning here at the forum, and it does make a big difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Punch a few holes in the airbox cover, slip on muffler (there's no appreciable difference, pick whichever one you can get a better deal on or like the look of), and a larger main/shim the needle. It's popular to enlarge the air hole in the CV slide as well to make the throttle response a bit snappier. I'd probably go with a 130 main.

It's not going to suddenly transform this into a 450 MXer, but you will notice an improvement across the board. 1 tooth in the rear is a very minor change.

To restore "pep" go back to the stock 14/50 sprockets. Choose either "quick" or "fast" but no simple modification will make the TW go both quicker and faster. The 9% change made in overall gearing to reduce rpm at any given speed is of course going to be at the expense of acceleration. Basic physics.
    Darth and goldenhtr like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I went with the DG "O" series muffler on mine with a Dynojet jet kit. It was a noticeable improvement over stock. I also swapped to a 45 rear sprocket at the same time. The Dynojet kit was a breeze to install and I went with the 130 jet per the kit instructions. The kit also has a new slide needle and shim kit for that and the instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
    Like has been said, it's not a huge improvement as far as gained horsepower, but rather how the power is delivered. I could feel how much smother and harder the bike pulled in the seat of my pants so to say. The other benefit that often gets overlooked on TW rejetting is the bike runs cooler. The excessively lean state of carburetor tune in the "As delivered" stock set up runs hotter. I'm not a scientist, but I can tell you that a cooler running engine will last longer.
    I bought my Dynojet kit at denniskirk.com
    Donzo and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    Riding a TW is like riding a piece of freedom Hidden Content
    I don't want to go where the road takes me. I want to go where it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    To restore "pep" go back to the stock 14/50 sprockets. Choose either "quick" or "fast" but no simple modification will make the TW go both quicker and faster. The 9% change made in overall gearing to reduce rpm at any given speed is of course going to be at the expense of acceleration. Basic physics.
    I don't agree with that. I think the torque and power curves of the TW engine is better suited to a 15 front and 50 rear. Every gear winds out to a higher speed and my TW accelerates better with the 15 tooth front. Of course proper carb tuning is necessary to achieve those results.

Definitely noticed the difference in gearing on the road today. Btw its equal to a 3-4 tooth change as up one in front equals down 2-3 in rear plus the one down in rear. Riding comfortably at highway speed and can make a turn without having to shift through 3 gears! I think the retune and pipe will feel good as it’s more response I am looking for. Also the trails we ride can have 6-10 foot guinea grass which makes it impossible to see if someone is around the corner or going the wrong way. A louder pipe means others can hear you coming and get out the way🤣

My TW is an 07 and carb is stock as far as I know.

I can’t lose much more weight at 140 and narey much body fat. Can’t break the bolts on right side footpeg or I’d take those off. But since they are stuck i have found they make nice foot rests for cruising on the highway and help to keep good back arch

So it sounds like might be worth doing a tuning kit over just a main jet swap

Couldn’t find a dynojet kit for the tw on their site 🤔

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links