TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Is there such a thing as a quiet aftermarket muffler?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MaddMaverick 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an aftermarket muffler that's quieter than stock. Does such a thing exist?

#2 ·
Not that I know of. You can search threads where hunters and such have worked to silence the exhaust... only to find that the engine itself is a noisy rattling machine, so there is no such thing as stealth mode on a TW. :)

#4 ·
Yup copper pipe 45 elbow and angle down. The sound is directed to the earth and the bike is a lot less noisy. Also, a stainless steel header pipe made a difference on mine as well. Skid plate with a closed cell foam pad between the motor and the plate quieted things too.

#5 ·
Induction roar, misc mechanical and drive chain rattling can all be better appreciated with improved exhaust note muffling. One of my TWs has this second industrial muffler attached to the stock muffler. This something OP can readily accomplish since no quiter aftermarket pipes seem to be available. Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Tree Adventure

I recently removed 1" copper 45 degree elbow from the other TW as it actually made the exhaust note louder for the operator, something not reported for those who use 3/4" copper 45 degree elbows. Odd.

#8 ·
The problem is, you can't get into the cavity. When pulling the spark arrester, there's no more space vacated other than the spark arrester. If the entire end came off the muffler, that would be one thing, but it doesn't. Just a center small diameter section comes out. Here's a couple photos;

#9 ·
Someone joined about two months ago that had picked one up with a home made quiet pipe. Previous owner had taken the tw muffler and cut it off at the beginning and welded a glass pack on it. The new owner found an engine freeze plug that fit the end of the glass pack and made a 1 inch hole in it and welded a piece of pipe in it clear to the front with a bunch of little holes in it and claims it's the quietest exhaust he's ever heard. I'm going to butcher the exhaust on my parts bike and try it sometime this year i hope depending on how long i have to keep this IV hooked up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.