2018 TW Adventure Build
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: 2018 TW Adventure Build

2018 TW Adventure Build

I finally took the plunge and bought a TW after years of wondering what it would be like to ride one. I sold my CRF250L a few months back as I was never really happy with it so when I saw a crazy deal on a 2018 with a few hundred kms I had to buy it. This thing is an absolute blast to ride. I had no expectations of it being something that its not. I knew it wasn't going to be fast. I live only a few kms from a few logging roads so I aired both the front and rear tires down to 10psi and have left it there. Man can this thing climb! With zero wheel spin! My favourite thing is that the tires absorb the rocks. On my 250L I was constantly bottoming out the front rim on rocks at 12psi. Hasn't happened once on the TW. When I'm out exploring I am constantly looking left and right for anything cool. Trails, lookouts, animals, mine shafts, etc. I find that exploring with the TW is so much easier because I don't have to worry about the front tire being deflected off rocks. I've always had to pay attention and pick the best line when climbing rocky trails. With the TW I can just point and shoot and it will climb. As I'm maturing my adventures are becoming more about the journey and less about how quick I can get to the destination. And the TW is perfect for that it seems!

I've spent a lot of time looking at other peoples builds when modifying my bikes in the past so I hope that by making a build thread of my TW it might benefit someone who is in the process of modifying theirs.

I plan on doing:

1.) JNS Engineering Led Headlight-Done
    2.) Pro Taper Handlebars-Done
    3.) Seat Concepts Seat
    4.) Hand Guards-Done
    5.) Rear Rack for Rotopax
    6.) Bigger Foot Pegs-Done
    7.) Tail tidy with LED Brake Light
    8.) Led Front Blinkers
    9.) Heated Grips
    10.) Lithium Battery
    11.) Oil Cooler
    12.) 55 Tooth Rear Sprocket
    13.) O-Ring Chain
    14.) Auxiliary Lighting
    15.) Windscreen
    16.) Skid Plate
    17.) Better Front Tire-Done
    18.) Foldable shifter lever-Done

Still not sure if I want to do any performance mods as of yet. I'm enjoying the "low and slow" for now.....

Here's a picture of the bike on my first ride completely stock.

IMG_0223.jpg
    Last edited by Diesel; 04-02-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    2018 TW200
    2016 Honda Ruckus
    -It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

1.) JNS Engineering Led Headlight

I finished installing the headlight today. Would have taken less than 2 mins but I had to come up with a solution to block out the glare that was now reflecting off the fairing.

IMG_7498.JPG

Since Ive been doing some extensive weather stripping repair on my house I decided I would use some extra I had laying around. Works good. I attached some on the inside of the front fairing and also around the edge of the headlight itself. Time will tell how well this holds up.

IMG_7500.JPG IMG_7499.JPG IMG_7501.JPG

I am very happy with the result. Won't know how much better the beam pattern works until I can take it for a test drive. Snow on the ground right now so it will have to wait. Regardless, I know the light output is better than stock, it looks badass, and it uses less power which will be of benefit when I run heated grips and auxiliary lights.

IMG_7502.JPG IMG_7503.JPG

I've heard that the lens scratches easily so I plan on getting a screen protector for an ipad and cutting it to size to fit the headlight.

Specs:
    Low: 1,100 Lumens @ 20 Watts
    High: 1,800 Lumens @ 15 Watts (35 Watts Total)
    Last edited by Diesel; 04-02-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    2018 TW200
    2016 Honda Ruckus

Middle of the Texas Panhandle, more or less
    I'll be watching with interest.
    Diesel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

I've heard that the lens scratches easily so I plan on getting a screen protector for an ipad and cutting it to size to fit the headlight.
    I love that idea!
    Diesel likes this.

Nice comprehensive list. Maybe think about a beefed up skid plate like a Ricochet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I finally took the plunge and bought a TW after years of wondering what it would be like to ride one. I sold my CRF250L a few months back as I was never really happy with it so when I saw a crazy deal on a 2018 with a few hundred kms I had to buy it. This thing is an absolute blast to ride. I had no expectations of it being something that its not. I knew it wasn't going to be fast. I live only a few kms from a few logging roads so I aired both the front and rear tires down to 10psi and have left it there. Man can this thing climb! With zero wheel spin! My favourite thing is that the tires absorb the rocks. On my 250L I was constantly bottoming out the front rim on rocks at 12psi. Hasn't happened once on the TW. When I'm out exploring I am constantly looking left and right for anything cool. Trails, lookouts, animals, mine shafts, etc. I find that with the TW it's so much easier because I don't have to worry about the front tire being deflected off a rock. I've always had to pay attention and pick the best line when climbing rocky trails. With the TW I can just point and shoot and it will climb. As I'm maturing my adventures are becoming more about the journey and less about how quick I can get to the destination. And the TW is Perfect for that it seems!

I've spent a lot of time looking at other peoples builds when modifying my bikes in the past so I hope that by making a build thread of my TW it might benefit someone who is in the process of modifying theirs.

I plan on doing:

1.) JNS Engineering Led Headlight
    2.) Pro Taper Handlebars
    3.) Seat Concepts Seat
    4.) Cycra Hand guards
    5.) Rear rack for Rotopax
    6.) Bigger Foot pegs
    7.) Tail tidy with LED brake light
    8.) Led front blinkers
    9.) Heated Grips
    10.) Lithium Battery
    11.) Oil Cooler
    12.) 55 Tooth rear sprocket
    13.) O-Ring Chain
    14.) Auxiliary lighting
    15.) Windscreen

Still not sure if I want to do any performance mods as of yet. I'm enjoying the "low and slow" for now.....

Here's a picture of the bike on my first ride completely stock.

IMG_0223.jpg
    Diesel and Gulfrider like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Nice comprehensive list. Maybe think about a beefed up skid plate like a Ricochet too.
    Thanks, I forgot about the skid plate. The stock one does seem kind of flimsy. I have added it to my list.
    Tweaker and Gulfrider like this.
    2018 TW200
    2016 Honda Ruckus

That dirt looks good on it.
    Diesel likes this.

Don't forget the front tire, the Shinko 241 is amazing off road, and really likes to stand up on the pavement.
    Tweaker, FishByte, Diesel and 1 others like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

That's a good list, it will always.... be added too
    Diesel likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

unless I did something incorrectly trying to install the screen protector ,I couldn't get it to stick to the slight curve of the JNS light.
    Diesel likes this.
    87 TW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links