Japanese Style Mods
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Japanese Style Mods

Here is a pic of a modded TW that looks similar to what I would like to do to mine:

Has anyone modded their TW200 with a new tank, round headlights, new fenders, speedometer, etc.? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my while to sell the parts on my bike before the mod when they are brand new.

My bike is a 2013 and it has 14 miles on it. I would like to fit it with a Big Cedar tank, fenders, etc., new seat, the works. Trying to figure out if selling my new parts is worth it. Not sure how much I could get for everything on a new TW200 before I mod it.

If I can't get decent money for my parts, then I will finish paying the bike off before I begin modding it.

The only thing that I plan on doing differently from the pic, is putting a scrambler-style chrome pipe along the side of my bike, and not a low pipe. I will still want to ride off road. My TW200 will remain a dual sport for sure.

That is a good looking bike. I like the idea of a scrambler high pipe.
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

I love that look as well, but if i was you I would enjoy your Brand new TW, i mean seriously yours is BRAND NEW! Personally I would work on paying off the 2013 then wait for a good deal on like an 89 - newer TW on craigslist for cheap and then work on modding one that already needs fixing up. Idk just my 2 cents, but welcome to the forum, I have seen a few TW members on here that have something similar to that japanese one you have pictured that could help you out.
    ALEX-

My Current Rides:

DIRT:
    2013 yz450F (race bike)
    2011 Yz450F (practice bike)
    2008 Yz250F (full mod)
    2005 TTR125 (full mod Gf's bike)

Street:
    2009 DRZ400SM (full mod)
    2009 qlink XF200 (sumo build)
    2007 SDG 140cc big bore (supermoto)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I bet that bike pictured is LOUD!!! It is a looker tho!! Congrats on your new bike, what ever you end up doing to yours, post up pics!!!

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Monteer View Post
    I love that look as well, but if i was you I would enjoy your Brand new TW, i mean seriously yours is BRAND NEW! Personally I would work on paying off the 2013 then wait for a good deal on like an 89 - newer TW on craigslist for cheap and then work on modding one that already needs fixing up. Idk just my 2 cents, but welcome to the forum, I have seen a few TW members on here that have something similar to that japanese one you have pictured that could help you out.

I agree.

You won't make enough money off of your stock parts to pay for much of your custom parts. From what I've read, custom parts like the ones you want can be very expensive.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

X2 for sure.............. (o; OMM.

I hate to agree, but you can pick up an older TW for super cheap and re-work seems like a waste to strip down a brand new 2013... unless money isnt a worry then go for it

You can check out slinky's restoration, he went this way.. custom tank, high mount exhaust! it looks pretty good.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...ation-project/

Thanks for the replies! I bought a new TW200 for modding instead of simply modding an old one for two simple reasons: 1. it's expensive, and 2. it's time consuming.

My rationale is basically, "Why would I want to spend a ton of time and money modding a bike that is already half-way over the hill, so to speak?" Once the bike is modded and done, I want it to last for a very long time that way.

My new bike will allow me to change the oil after 50 miles and then 100 and then 200 and so on. In short, I plan on babying it, and taking very good care of it, but not at the expense of having fun, of course. I could have saved about $1000 by scouring the Internet for a good deal with a bike that had 1,500 or so miles on it, but I just got tired of surfing. This forum changed my mind when I found out about all the metal shavings in the oil filter after 50 miles of riding. It made me think that I would like to make sure none of those shavings had gotten into the engine of the bike that I mod.

At any rate . . . sounds as if the parts (like new) aren't worth a great deal. I will just enjoy the bike for now, while I pay it off. I should get it paid off in about six months. (It cost a flat $4K new in December, which I thought was a good enough deal to go into debt for half a year [at zero percent interest] since it will save about 500 clams compared with the list price of $4495 now and through next fall.) By the way, the cheapest time to buy a motorcycle from a dealer is generally in December when they are trying to make their year-end figures.

Maybe in 2014 I will think about modding my TW 200, and maybe just hang onto my stock parts after that in a box in my garage.

Any future comments from people are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Your rational makes sense to me. It's nice to work with all new parts when you can.

I'm sort of curious about how much bike work you've done before? Not a lot I'd say,you're going to have to factor in a good customizer / mechanics costs into that. Working on a slightly older bike would have given you some experience.

I actually go the other way with customizing - buy an older bike and don't feel guilty about throwing half the parts away that are worn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links