• 1 Post By dette
  • 2 Post By sayosen
  • 4 Post By sayosen
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By sayosen
  • 3 Post By Xaman

Thread: Rattle Trap TW

Rattle Trap TW

So we snagged another TW for $600... which, as you can guess, needed some TLC (and a bunch of replacement parts as always). Decided to go a different route with this one. She is still a WIP, but you can get an idea where we are going. I know the TW purist will hate it; sorry guys!

Mods so far:
    Swapped out the tank for a decent Honda CL350 tank. (Oh the sacrilege!)

Installed a v-star shock as I am from a short-legged people

Reworked rear frame to lower seat and still reshaping seat before recovering it.

Trying out a set of clip-ons… because well, we like ‘em weird! With the lowered seat height and lowered ride height, the clip-ons feel pretty comfortable, which is good as I am not as flexible as I used to be. Will be throwing some biltwell grips on their soon

Street tires

Rear LED light/turn signal unit — will flush mount beneath the seat.

Will mount new head light — debating one with integrated turn signals. Anyone have experience with those?

Will mount original speedo on a fabbed bracket and also a set of idiot lights on the old knuckles on the triple tree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dette, lugnut, Ken and 2 others like this.

A $600 bike that you will enjoy riding - what’s not to like? Looks like you’ve done some nice work. I’m gonna send you a PM for your notes on the V-star shock installation, if you have time. I have one I want to try out.

Have you tested it on the road? Wondering if you get any rear wheel rub over bumps?

Cheers and enjoy that bike.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

I think it looks pretty cool! I always enjoy watching individual builds.

Considering the TW200 has been in continuous production for more than 30 years, virtually unchanged in design, I'm amazed at the wide variety of "end products" we come up with, having essentially started with the same canvas!

I almost think "TW purist" is a contradiction in terms, since almost nobody is completely satisfied with the salesroom floor version of the motorcycle.

With a few exceptions, there aren't many "rare" TWs, and even those are only desirable if they're in almost mint condition.

As for a $600 beater... have at it! You can only make it better!

Have you checked out Xaman's build? It's one of my favorites on this forum: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...tom-tw200.html

Have fun!
    Tweaker, dette, Xaman and 1 others like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Can't wait to see the finished product
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Currently enjoying a great mix...
    2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2013 Yamaha TW-200 & 2014 Yamaha V-Star 950 TourerHidden Content

The V-star bolts right on without any cutting or drilling - only thing needed was a couple washers for spacers to accomodate the offset. When tested on our last TW - Roxy - we had wheel rub on the lowest setting on the shock. Turned it up a few clicks and that did the trick. Of course the size of the bump and the size of rider may give different results!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ7Pilot View Post
    I think it looks pretty cool! I always enjoy watching individual builds.

Considering the TW200 has been in continuous production for more than 30 years, virtually unchanged in design, I'm amazed at the wide variety of "end products" we come up with, having essentially started with the same canvas!

I almost think "TW purist" is a contradiction in terms, since almost nobody is completely satisfied with the salesroom floor version of the motorcycle.

With a few exceptions, there aren't many "rare" TWs, and even those are only desirable if they're in almost mint condition.

As for a $600 beater... have at it! You can only make it better!

Have you checked out Xaman's build? It's one of my favorites on this forum: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/per...tom-tw200.html

Have fun!
    Agreed - I think an untouched Tw is the proverbial unicorn... or maybe more like a Sasquatch consider the ground they can cover.

And I checked out Xaman's build and I have to say... dammmmn! That is some pro level finish work. Honestly thought I was looking at catalog pics for some of his mods. Gonna need to step up our finishing game now!

R.E. headlight with integrated turn signals: I believe most states in the US require turn signals "to be at least 6 inches from the headlight
    ". The few regs I have researched do not elaborate on whether this refers to element to element clearance, or distance from reflector edge to reflector edge.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    R.E. headlight with integrated turn signals: I believe most states in the US require turn signals "to be at least 6 inches from the headlight
    ". The few regs I have researched do not elaborate on whether this refers to element to element clearance, or distance from reflector edge to reflector edge.
    My buddy Dave and I have been debating this headlight. It would tidy up the front end, but can they actually be seen? We've watched videos on youtube and still not convinced. So, I've been looking at doing some compact turn signals like the ones Analog Cycles sells and mounting them on fabbed brackets on the side of the headlight or off of the forks.

If Xaman is monitoring this - are you happy with your mini turn signals?

Quote Originally Posted by sayosen View Post
    My buddy Dave and I have been debating this headlight. It would tidy up the front end, but can they actually be seen? We've watched videos on youtube and still not convinced. So, I've been looking at doing some compact turn signals like the ones Analog Cycles sells and mounting them on fabbed brackets on the side of the headlight or off of the forks.

If Xaman is monitoring this - are you happy with your mini turn signals?

Yeah im happy with them, no complaints about visibility. To be fair, I’m not sure anyone could complain about visibility in the front. I think the rear blinkers need visibility more than anything else, so we don’t get smashed from behind. I want whoever is behind me to know when I intend to slow and turn.

The front signals are helpful, but mainly as a courtesy to other drivers so they don’t unnecessarily wait for me when they could have proceeded had they known I was turning. But if you’re forgetful like me, and forget to cancel them after the turn, they can get you killed. In Texas turn signals aren’t necessary, so I have other bikes without them. I prefer hand signals because you can’t forget to to turn them off, lol. Unfortunately the young folks around here have no idea what my hand signals mean, they just stare at me in puzzlement.
    jtomelliott49, Fred and sayosen like this.

Sponosred Links