• 1 Post By Idon'thaveoneyet...
  • 6 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 1 Post By Petro24
  • 1 Post By Maxpower
  • 1 Post By Gulfrider
  • 2 Post By Idon'thaveoneyet...

Thread: The front tire...

The front tire...

I have been reading the pros and cons of the sweet tw200. I love all of the pros. The only cons that have me concerned are the small OEM fuel tank, the small OEM foot pegs, and the front tire. As a purely amateur rider, is there any reason to avoid this bike because of the tire? I don't really want to replace it right off the bat. If it was that big of a problem Yamaha would have fixed it by now, right?
    Also, is there an issue with the rear tire being wider than the front tire when it comes to making corners?
    Elvesus likes this.

On pavement the stock tires are fine in my opinion, although there are many that are safer and perform better. There are many reports of the front tire washing out during off road riding. My opinion is that it’s like most other bikes - take your time learning it’s characteristics before you push anywhere near the limit of your comfort level. Cheers
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

The only reason to not buy a TW200 is if you plan on doing highway riding at 60 mph for long stretches. Other than that, the gas tank is sufficient unless you plan on getting lost in the wilderness. If you do such a ride, where you may get lost, strap on a gallon or purchase this... http://a.co/d/dxsUXyD Also, I just installed these low cost footpegs: http://a.co/d/bXj1AXz Many in the forum said they are good. I've owned many different bikes and ATV's and the TW is, by far, my favorite!!

Quote Originally Posted by Idon'thaveoneyet... View Post
    I have been reading the pros and cons of the sweet tw200. I love all of the pros. The only cons that have me concerned are the small OEM fuel tank, the small OEM foot pegs, and the front tire. As a purely amateur rider, is there any reason to avoid this bike because of the tire? I don't really want to replace it right off the bat. If it was that big of a problem Yamaha would have fixed it by now, right?
    Also, is there an issue with the rear tire being wider than the front tire when it comes to making corners?
    Elvesus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have had zero problems with those concerns and have ridden several of these bikes many thousands of miles and for more than 30 years....no doubt there are riders that have bigger feet than I do....who ride much faster than I do....and go farther than I do...that tank will take me more than 50 miles in a day and that is plenty of boondocking for me..

Any bike is dangerous on high volume mixed traffic public roads with high operating speeds....but a bike that is holding up traffic is much more dangerous... so I would take Petro's advice …...
    Last edited by bartruff; 11-01-2018 at 03:15 PM.

The front tire is pants, the tread “cups” on the road, and introduces you to your dentist off road

Bigger foot pegs are widely available, and personally I find that carrying an extra half gallon of gas will get you out of most situations – after 100 miles on the stock saddle, your butt will tell you all you need to know ……
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I haven't had any trouble with the front tire....if I am riding a significant distance on pavement I inflate it to 30-35 cold psi.....off road between 15 and 18....or even lower in a low traction area....with a bead lock of course..

If a tire is cupping it is because it is bouncing....the rim or the tire could be out of round....the alignment could be bad....the balance or run out could be bad....the bearings could be bad....the shocks may not be able to control the road surface...or the tires maybe underinflated...is this a common problem ? I have never heard of it outside of this forum…
    Last edited by bartruff; 11-01-2018 at 05:00 PM.

I have no problem with the footpegs.
    The tank is too small for me.I bought a Clarke tank.
    If you like to rail berms or rip through whoops or ride with traffic at 65mph, there are better choices.
    bartruff likes this.
    87 TW

The pegs like others have mention are cheap. The Krators on amazon or ebay are around $20 and a nice upgrade. The clark tank is a very popular option too for fuel. The front tire, well its ok. Just if you are doing aggressive offroad it can be sketchy. But again a different front tire ain't that much. Don't think the fuel will be a issue unless you go on a long offroad adventure.
    bartruff likes this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

I upgraded to the Krator pegs, love em. Only had 1 issue with the stock front tire but I'm sure any tire would have done the same on that super loose golf ball gravel I was on. Other than that, I'm staying with the Death Wing. I will probably get the larger Clarke tank as I plan long rides with a couple hundred miles or more between fuel stations, even with a rotopax on board. I find the bike as stable and easy to ride as I could hope for.
    If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco Juan Ramierez aka "The Rat"
    There's 2 kinds of people in this world, those with guns, and those who dig. You dig. - The Man with No Name

2018 TW200 - LCpl. Rex T. Dubber
    2010 Savage S40 650

Thanks for all the info. I don't plan on riding in too extreme a situation, so it seems all the OEM stuff should suit me just fine!
    bartruff and Elvesus like this.

Sponosred Links