Clarke Tank...again...sorry
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Clarke Tank...again...sorry

Hey folks,
    I just brought my new 2018 TW home yesterday. I have purchased three new DR650's in the past and the first thing I do is replace the stock tank with a Clarke and I have never had a problem. They have all fit perfectly...swap the petcock (or buy a replacement to keep the stock one on the stock tank) and poof...done! Why do I do this? Not really because of the amount of fuel I can carry (although in the TW's case, a little more probably wouldn't hurt) but mainly because I don't want the new tank to get scratched and dented. When the time comes to sell the bike, I like to be able to grab the new stock tank from the attic and throw it back on.

Unfortunately, I've read thread after thread here about guys trimming plastic side panels, adding zip ties, heating and bending plastic, drilling holes...etc. in order to get the Clarke tank to fit the TW. All things I would really rather not do to a brand new bike. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to sell the bike as stock someday. Oh, and then there are guys that didn't have to do anything to get the tank to fit? Then there are people that say the tank is thin, flexible, and say that the cap doesn't fit correctly. Once again, all things that I never experienced with my DR650 Clarkes.

So, what gives here? Is it perhaps due to the quality control of the TW Clarke tanks that make them all fit differently? Do some years of TW's fit the Clarke tanks better than others? Are some people more picky about how the install looks than others?

Yeah, I realize too that the Clarke tanks are ugly, but to me, what's uglier is the pretty stock tank with scratches and dents.

On a side note...my daughter works for a graphic design company that supplies graphic kits to some national race teams. I could always get them to make a template for the TW Clarke tanks to pretty it up a bit, although plastic tanks tend to breath which sometimes causes problems with graphics...even if the graphics have the perforations.

Thanks everyone,
    Russ
    Ken likes this.

Russ, you should be able to mount up a Clarke tank without permanently marring the TW's future salability.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have a Clark tank - went on no significant problem and having that extra fuel on some of the longer rides, or if you ever get lost....is a good thing! Also on one of the Fred "easy" rides getting to the campsite area required some climbing, off level dirt roads and water crossings. My strapped Dub fell to the side on the trailer, the tank hit the steel siding. The Clark showed no damage, had that been the stock metal tank I'm pretty sure it would have creased it. Clark payed for itself that day!

I now have carabinger ends on my tie down straps and have not had a problem on rough roads and the trailer.
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yep...the carabiners are a good idea. We have always used a bungee from hook eyelete to eyelete...this way if the bike tilts around turns there is always some constant pressure so the hooks don't come off the handlebars or the other end. We just bought a new style strap that has the soft strap built in with clips on the hook ends. They work nice too!

X001-Y001.jpg
    Fred, Ken and joeband like this.

Here’s my 2 cents. I recently bought and installed the Clarke tank. The tank has flaws. The molding process and/or quality control leaves a bit to be desired. However, I was able to mount it up with no issues or leaks and it works just fine. For me it’s worth the extra fuel and I like the tank overall and would do it again. The only interesting thing to note is, I am unsure on steering clearance if I didn’t have bar risers. But, I do, so no issues. Hope this helps.
    Ken likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Plastic tanks deform rather than dent when contacted by bars or triple clamps. This can occur with the larger 4 gallon Clarke XT tanks but I do not consider it a deal killer.
    Ken likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have two Clarke tanks and mine are pretty blemish free. Both of mine are blue, not sure if that makes a difference or not vs other colors. Mine also fit pretty darn good and i didn't really have any issues at all with the side panels. They go into place but just take more force than factory. I don't have bar risers but i for have the Pro Taper ATV high bars on both of mine and there is no clearance issues.

My only gripes are they forgot to ship some of the hardware when i got mine, specifically the metal spacers for the front of both tanks and it took two months and many phone calls to Clarke to get it resolved. I would have just made my own since i have access to the stock but didn't on principal alone. I also had issued with one of my caps, i cracked it by over tightening it. I ended up replacing both caps with Tusk billet ones from Rocky MTN ATV.
    Ken likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I don't have bar risers but i for have the Pro Taper ATV high bars on both of mine and there is no clearance issue.
    Great to hear that because I just ordered those bars!

I wonder if it's better to order the tank directly from Clarke than a reseller. I wonder if you'd get better service if there was a problem.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMkV View Post
    Great to hear that because I just ordered those bars!

I wonder if it's better to order the tank directly from Clarke than a reseller. I wonder if you'd get better service if there was a problem.
    Yes, order directly. I ordered mine from a reseller and that was a part of the issue for me getting the missing parts. Despite me having an invoice showing exactly what and when they were bought and despite Clarke drop shipping the tanks directly to me they still had to contact the reseller to “verify my purchase” for some unknown reason. That process took forever, gives me the impression they prefer to deal direct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jb882; 12-10-2018 at 05:55 AM.
    MatadorMkV likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

OEM steel xt225 tank is another alternative, 2.3 gallons gives you a range of 150-190 miles. i never worried as much about dings... it is a dirt bike. YMMV.

i think the clarke xt225 tanks look really sharp.
    Dryden-Tdub and Fred like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links