Custom 2009 TW200 Build
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Custom 2009 TW200 Build

Custom 2009 TW200 Build

Hey Everyone,

1.5 Years ago I bought a 2009 TW200 off craigslist and set out to fully tear down the bike and rebuild it into a custom city attack bike. During that time I've found a ton of great information on the bike on this site and just wanted to thank everyone in the forum for all the help and advice. I've never posted before but have been lurking for a while.

This is my first custom bike, been learning a ton and there's still a ways to go but figured I'd share my work in progress shots in the hopes that it inspires someone else to give it a go.

IMG_5495.JPG
    All the plastics taken off, was pretty intimidating tearing this thing apart on day one.

IMG_5671.JPG
    Bought a $250 lift on Harbor Freight, changed my life! Garage starting to look like a proper shop

IMG_6952.JPG
    Started using the angle grinder to chop up the frame, remove tabs etc. Learning to work on metal was a big step for me.

IMG_6936.JPG
    Rough fitting a tail loop to the existing frame. Diameter was a bit off, but figured it out with the help of a friend who used to weld for Chevron. He taught me the basics of welding with a stick welder. Not the easiest thing to do but it got the job done.

Attachment 187350
    IMG_7162.JPG
    Made a custom mount for the new gas tank. Welded it on, again not the cleanest but it will hold!

IMG_7422.JPG
    Attachment 187354
    Rough seat pan fitted and cut to size. Had to make and weld on new mounting brackets for the seat pan and battery tray.

IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_7423.JPG
    Designed a custom Japanese dot pattern fabric for the seat, mixed it with leather sides. I'm a graphic designer so this is the easy part for me.
    CJ7Pilot, ixel, Tweaker and 7 others like this.

Welcome to the forum and great first post!

Where are you located?

Brian

Hey Mr. 44, welcome to the forum!

"City attack bike"...I love it!
    Did you coin that name yourself, or nick it somewhere else?
    Either way, I like it.

Customs, modifieds & racers are my favorite types of bikes. I'm always screwing with them.
    My current project is what I'm calling a "Suburban Dualsport". Or maybe a "City Enduro". Or something like that.
    Part street tracker, part scrambler, part enduro, part custom, part Super Moto, part beer-fetcher for RV camping.
    Something to drive the other old-men crazy!
    Yeah, I have a weird imagination.
    No pix yet, I'm waiting until it's finished.

Can't wait to see more of the "City Attack" bike...got a design brief, sketches or anything yet?

Most of the guys & gals here are hard-core dirt, mud, sand, snow, desert, woods, mountains, single track, hunting, fishing & exploring types...with a world of experience, a few ex-racers and a handful of wildmen. Who am I leaving out?
    And there is much, much technical know-how and willingness to help!

Keep us posted...

Dave
    Last edited by Darth; 12-12-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice. Like your shop too. Keep the updates and photos coming.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

One other thing...I think you will need a larger tool box.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Part II Post - Custom TW200 Build

Could only post 10 pics on the last post so here is Part Deux.

IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7370.JPG
    IMG_7369.JPG

Swapped out the exhaust with a Supertrapp universal. Always loved the look of these shorty style exhausts and love how it bolts right on to the existing foot peg.

Attachment 187376
    Quick gas tank placement here so I can start to see how it's going to sit on the frame, at this point I'm wishing I totally cut the frame and made the seat line a bit more flush with the new tank but I'll find a way to make it work.

IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1326.jpg
    Graphics I designed for the gas tank are applied and sent it off to the painter. I've so many cool, talented people while making this bike. Painting is something I didn't want to do myself but designing the graphics (inspired by Deus Ex Machina) was super fun. I wanted to pay homage to the Yamaha's japanese history with a Samurai crest (Kamon) but also have some fun as I'll be riding this bike to the waves in California a lot.

IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    Got the frame back and reassembled the swing arm putting in a new bearing kit. Also swapped out both tires and had some custom decals i made applied to the swingarm. (Lost Aloha is a joke between me and my friends who surf a lot)

IMG_2347.JPG
    Rough mock up of the seat foam that I made to see how the seat height should look and how it would connect with the tank. Had to plan for a custom cut out to make room for the gas tank bolt. It isn't pretty but got the job done for my seat upholstery guy.

Part III coming soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by servin44; 12-12-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Part III

Attachment 187390
    Custom seat is back from Wally's Auto Upholstery! Leather and custom fabric looking awesome. Decided to build in the LED taillight to clean up the rear. Unfortunately wasn't able to embed it into the leather in the way I wanted but still pretty trick.

IMG_3629.JPG
    Attachment 187394
    I could do a whole post on the engine upgrades...went way too deep with new clutch, big bore kit (224cc now) and grinded metal seams etc. Again I've met some insane people while doing this build and they took it to an extreme! Probably not worth the power gain but damn it should be fun.

IMG_1858.jpg
    Attachment 187398
    Had the lower triples trees painted black and worked with Cognito moto to CNC some custom top triple clamps and risers. Has a built in motogadget speedo holder which should look nice and modern.

IMG_3785.JPG
    IMG_3782.JPG
    IMG_3770.JPG
    IMG_3772.JPG
    The engine's done and back in the frame, everythings finally coming together and I can start to see how this thing is actually going to look on the road! Been an insane journey so far and still a ways to go on a whole new wiring harness, electronics (motogadget blue going in) and all the handle bar controls.

Still need to figure out jetting the new carb and actually doing a first start up. More to come in the future as this thing wraps up.

Not sure why it's auto rotating some of my pics, if anyone knows how to fix that let me know!
    Xaman, CJ7Pilot, Sthrnromr and 4 others like this.

hahah I actually have another one (not pictured). I was doing a lot of work at Motoguild on Treasure Island and finally just bought my own setup. The tools alone have been a learning process here.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Welcome to the forum and great first post!

Where are you located?

Brian
    Sunny California. Out by the beach (Outer Sunset) in San Francisco.
    Tweaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Hey Mr. 44, welcome to the forum!

"City attack bike"...I love it!
    Did you coin that name yourself, or nick it somewhere else?
    Either way, I like it.

Customs, modifieds & racers are my favorite types of bikes. I'm always screwing with them.
    My current project is what I'm calling a "Suburban Dualsport". Or maybe a "City Enduro". Or something like that.
    Part street tracker, part scrambler, part enduro, part custom, part Super Moto, part beer-fetcher for RV camping.
    Something to drive the other old-men crazy!
    Yeah, I have a weird imagination.
    No pix yet, I'm waiting until it's finished.

Can't wait to see more of the "City Attack" bike...got a design brief, sketches or anything yet?

Most of the guys & gals here are hard-core dirt, mud, sand, snow, desert, woods, mountains, single track, hunting, fishing & exploring types...with a world of experience, a few ex-racers and a handful of wildmen. Who am I leaving out?
    And there is much, much technical know-how and willingness to help!

Keep us posted...

Dave
    Pretty sure I lifted the name from some moto article but seemed like the perfect term for this little bike. I posted a few more pics showing the final vision, check it out. Would love to see your project one day as well.
    Darth and Tweaker like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links