XT225 Sprockets on TW200?
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Leisure Time Larry
  • 1 Post By joeband
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: XT225 Sprockets on TW200?

XT225 Sprockets on TW200?

So I’ve been wanting to change the countershaft sprocket on my TW200 from a 14 tooth to a 16. The only issue is that you can only buy a 16 for the XT. Do you guys think it would still be compatable? Also I realize a 44 rear sprocket would have the same effect, the countershaft sprockets are just far cheaper.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I think that they are different. PBI sells a 16 for the TW200... https://shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=329

It is a much bigger pain to change the TW front though. You have to take off the left side engine cover. If your gasket is bad, scraping sucks, and then you'll need to replace it. It is better with two people when reinstalling, to prevent pinching/cutting the stator wires because that magnet can make it surprising. Much easier to change the rear if all you want is a ratio change.
    admiral likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

i don't know for a fact, but i'd guess they would as the shafts are nearly identical... minus the extra length. that's how the tw shaft can be swapped into the TTR/XT motor.
    Fred likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

PlacerLode just recently confirmed that a 16 tooth front sprocket will work on a TW. See post # 11 on the following thread:

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...-question.html

It shouldn't matter who you buy it from, or if it is intended for the XT225, it should work fine for your TW.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Time Larry View Post
    I think that they are different. PBI sells a 16 for the TW200... https://shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=329

It is a much bigger pain to change the TW front though. You have to take off the left side engine cover. If your gasket is bad, scraping sucks, and then you'll need to replace it. It is better with two people when reinstalling, to prevent pinching/cutting the stator wires because that magnet can make it surprising. Much easier to change the rear if all you want is a ratio change.
    Thanks for the response Larry, that’s a good thing to keep in mind. May just spend the extra bucks on the rear one. Would I need to replace the chain as well if I lowered the sprocket to a 44?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

PlacerLode just recently confirmed that a 16 tooth front sprocket will work on a TW. See post # 11 on the following thread:

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...-question.html

It shouldn't matter who you buy it from, or if it is intended for the XT225, it should work fine for your TW.

Brian
    Thanks man I appreciate it. And that’s awesome I figure if I can save $30 I should definitely look into it

Sponosred Links