Tusk Utility Top Rack
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tusk Utility Top Rack

Tusk Utility Top Rack

Hello friends,

Since I got my '87 last summer I have been researching cargo racks. I haven't found any information on the Tusk brand rack - searched this site and came up empty. Is this a new option? Doesn't look too bad... just google the title and you'll see it, too. Your thoughts?

-reddave

First I've seen of this particular rack. Personally I prefer something with more rounded edges with hopefully less chance of imparting injury to the rider in a mild crash. Any rack will hurt if you make hard contact with it, its just that the edgy stuff can cause greater trauma.
    That said the Rusk rack likely has a more usable load platform than it's closest competitor, the CycleRack. Plus my mentioned risk of injury is negated if one plans to attach something like a large Pelican hard shell box.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 “Mr.Gizmo
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Not overly impressed but your post did lead me to the Alpha Rider Black Rear Seat Rack that sells for $88.26 USD which suits my budget better then the $119.75 for the Tusk model. Just my opinion. Thanks for the effort all the same.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not much effort at all, really! I hadn't looked into racks for many weeks. My first google search returned an auction website advertising the Tusk brand. That stood out to me at first due to their brush guards. Then I realized never saw a rack from that company before... and I was surprised to find no info on the forum. Any opinions, comments, questions, and concerns should be (and are) always welcome!
    -reddave
    Last edited by reddave; 01-05-2019 at 08:34 PM.

So as it is wintertime still, I haven't jumped on a Cycleracks rig yet. I had wrote off this Tusk rack as they say it will only fit bikes from 90-19. I was confused by this because the Cycleracks will fit all years. I still have to contact the manufacturer again for some more detailed information regarding fitment. But I found this video just now - can someone tell me why this wouldn't work on a 1987?
    Miaugi likes this.

That rack should fit an '87 with all the strengths and weaknesses as well as any other model year TW. i.e. despite Tusk's attempt to eliminate rotation at the foot peg mounting points the mild steel rack's arms themselves will still flex along their length transmitting some additional load to the sub-frame mounting points on bumpy trails.
    Expect any sub-frame failures to be about as frequent as those occurring with Cycleracks. Pre-emptive re-enforcement of the sub-frame to rack can help but there is little to be done to strengthen the sub-frame to frame mounting tabs. The sub-frame to frame tabs are likely deliberately designed to be the weak link thus limiting damage transmittal to the frame proper. Having sacrificial mounting tabs can prevent whole bike having to get frame straightened after a rear impact, hopefully one can just buy and replace the subframe.
    Pull your seat and look carefully at how bike is put together at the rear and you can see how these fatigue fractures occur. My Cyclerack has been weld repaired three times and subframe twice before the sub-frame broke off entirely. This was at MOAB2017 when two other TWs also suffered total subframe failures.
    Old threads address these failures as well as re-enforcement techniques.
    Miaugi likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 “Mr.Gizmo
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks Fred! I spoke to Nathan at Rocky Mountain ATV today. He confirmed with the designer that it will fit 100%. So I placed an order and will be reporting back...
    Last edited by reddave; 03-19-2019 at 06:58 PM.

I am not social media conscious, but a very internet savvy friend of mine told me that I'm supposed to put in a disclaimer here? I don't know anybody who works at Tusk, or Rock Mountain ATV. Hardly anyone, in fact - I prefer animals. I'd also like to say I am not anti-Cyclerack in any way! I couldn't find anyone on this forum who's had experience with this product before. This alone was initially intriguing to me. I'm a new guy here and have taken ALOT of information from this forum and have given little back. I'm going to change that with a brutally honest review of this product.
    Last edited by reddave; 03-19-2019 at 06:59 PM.

I ordered the same rack Friday reddave. I hope it works well. It will be my first accessory for the bike.
    reddave likes this.

Welcome to the forum, eastwood! Please let us know how it works out for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links