Tw200 rear sprocket questions
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tw200 rear sprocket questions

Tw200 rear sprocket questions

I know these type of questions have been asked a million times but I’m having trouble finding an answer. I ride mostly street and have been looking to lower the RPMs for the 45 mph highways I go on. The only thing is that a lot of the slower speed roads have very steep hills and some of the highways have 20mph headwinds. Would a 14-45 sprocket set up hurt the performance way too much? And if not what’s the lowest I could go before being uncomfortable going up these hills. Thanks guys, sorry if this is a repeat.

It would help to know your elevation, plus does "very steep" mean a 6% grade, or a 23% grade? A hundred foot long hill or a half mile long hill?
    Either way I fear 14-45 might be a little too tall legged unless you don't mind having to downshift a gear or two at times.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I would change the front to 15t instead,that is only beneficial unless you are into rock crawling,and then start playing with the rear.
    Take a look at the following threads too:
    tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/15205-road-gearing.html
    tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/55505-gearing.html
    tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/59434-rpm.html
    Last edited by YamTW87; 01-15-2019 at 01:30 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I run 15 front and 47 rear here in the hills of Western Pa. I have to downshift a little more often than I did when running stock but i think it's worth it. If i was still running with the stock carb settings i don't think I could get away with the taller gearing. I sometimes think the only reason the TW has a 14 front sprocket is to make up for the loss of power due to the lean carb settings.
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 01-15-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I know these type of questions have been asked a million times but I’m having trouble finding an answer. I ride mostly street and have been looking to lower the RPMs for the 45 mph highways I go on. The only thing is that a lot of the slower speed roads have very steep hills and some of the highways have 20mph headwinds. Would a 14-45 sprocket set up hurt the performance way too much? And if not what’s the lowest I could go before being uncomfortable going up these hills. Thanks guys, sorry if this is a repeat.
    In my opinion, the sweet spot for a TW with stock gearing (14/50) is 45-55mph. Since the highways that you plan to ride are only 45mph, I would suggest that you stick with the stock gearing. The engine rpm's at these speeds would be rather moderate (i.e. tolerable), yet still allow you to handle most grades. I would be more concerned about lugging the engine at the speeds you say you want to ride with the 14/45 gearing. Can we assume that your weight is within "normal" ranges for your size?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    It would help to know your elevation, plus does "very steep" mean a 6% grade, or a 23% grade? A hundred foot long hill or a half mile long hill?
    Either way I fear 14-45 might be a little too tall legged unless you don't mind having to downshift a gear or two at times.
    I’ll be hitting a hill everyday that’s aboit 10-13% and I’ll occasionally take it upcountry to some 15+%. I’m normally at sea level-300 feet above. I live in Maui, HI if that helps with anything at all. It’s sounding like 15 front or 47 rear is gonna be my best bet, thanks for the response.
    Jusride7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    In my opinion, the sweet spot for a TW with stock gearing (14/50) is 45-55mph. Since the highways that you plan to ride are only 45mph, I would suggest that you stick with the stock gearing. The engine rpm's at these speeds would be rather moderate (i.e. tolerable), yet still allow you to handle most grades. I would be more concerned about lugging the engine at the speeds you say you want to ride with the 14/45 gearing. Can we assume that your weight is within "normal" ranges for your size?
    Thanks for the respknse, I’m about 135 so maybe a bit light? Also I do understand that the engine can handle the RPMs I’m giving it but I’d just like to be a bit more comfortable at the 55 range. There’s some insane views from the highway and it’s hard to appreciate them while I’m buzzing so much.
    Darth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by YamTW87 View Post
    I would change the front to 15t instead,that is only beneficial unless you are into rock crawling[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/images/smilies/imported/grin.gif[/IMG],and then start playing with the rear.
    Take a look at the following threads too:
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...d-gearing.html
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...5-gearing.html
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...59434-rpm.html
    Thanks, I’ll be sure to check those links out. I was kind of trying to avoid changing the front cause I hear it’s quite the pain, but on the other hand front sprockets are a bit cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    I run 15 front and 47 rear here in the hills of Western Pa. I have to downshift a little more often than I did when running stock but i think it's worth it. If i was still running with the stock carb settings i don't think I could get away with the taller gearing. I sometimes think the only reason the TW has a 14 front sprocket is to make up for the loss of power due to the lean carb settings.
    That’s good to know, so what did you do to your carb? Just new exhaust and a re-jet? And was there any benefit to doing 15-47 vs 14-42?

15-47 will probably wear out the chain slower than 14-42.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links