Th Turtle Wagon - Page 5
Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Th Turtle Wagon

Got my parts, drove down to LA to get them for a 16 hour round trip,but let the reassembly begin!!!
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Boring the case seems simple until your removing material all the way into the dowel pins hahaha, so i have contacted a couple local machine shops to do this job more precisely than i could.I will drop off the case and cylinder and have them bore the case mouth to fit exactly, not sure on turn around time yet.This should be the last step as far as major machining, i can grind the right side cover by hand, and relieve the piston skirt if it rubs on the connecting rod, i dont expect having to do this last step due to the custom pistons short skirt. Missed a cool group ride in Big bear but to project is moving forward.I will be taking the bike back down to LA for dyno tuning as soon as assembly and break in is completed.
    Sthrnromr and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleWagon View Post
    Boring the case seems simple until your removing material all the way into the dowel pins hahaha, so i have contacted a couple local machine shops to do this job more precisely than i could.I will drop off the case and cylinder and have them bore the case mouth to fit exactly, not sure on turn around time yet.This should be the last step as far as major machining, i can grind the right side cover by hand, and relieve the piston skirt if it rubs on the connecting rod, i dont expect having to do this last step due to the custom pistons short skirt. Missed a cool group ride in Big bear but to project is moving forward.I will be taking the bike back down to LA for dyno tuning as soon as assembly and break in is completed.
    You're a patient soul. I hope you have a back up bike to ride. But yeah, this should be pretty cool when completed. Looking forward to it.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes patients is key, i only allotted a couple of months for this and it will be 5 months when June ends, its really close now and with all the other mods on this bike it will really be one of a kind.
    Just saw today another gent is building a 295cc tw, with a ttr230 case to get the six speed, its awesome to see the work that goes into personalizing a bike.
    So after the case comes back this week, it will be cleaned and painted along with the head and jug, new berings and seals installed ,already on hand ,then assembly including the trans spacer and hollowed out right side cover ,so from outside the engine and tranny will appear stock.Using a new stainless steel set of bolts for final assembly along with the oil cooler and stainless exhaust should give it a bit of bling. Im so close i can taste it, and no my other bike is a ttr125 so i have been riding restricted for months ,missing a bunch of local and not so local group rides and chomping at the bit to get back out there.
    Darth, Sthrnromr and jtomelliott49 like this.

Turtle Man...you are an inspiration!
    Sthrnromr and jtomelliott49 like this.
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Thanks , i hope to be posting the final assembly pics and will post about my trip back to LA to get it dyno'd in the coming weeks.
    Sthrnromr, Darth and jtomelliott49 like this.

kdh
    Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    So, kdh, after 148,000 miles, what was the first thing to "die" on your TW?
    Base gasket oil leaking for a couple months. A bit of oil smoke on cold starts and engine braking--worn rings. Carb float valve stopped stopping when shut off, body casting cracked where pin for float acts as hinge. I'm thinking cracked carb body allows misalignment of pin and seat, which allows fuel flow with full bowl So, need a new carb and rings for sure. Probably just do that and retire the TW to the farm hands for riding fence, then finding a clean late model on the back of a motorhome for the big build.

A man lives across town has 4 TWs, 3 bored, stroked, 6 speeds, and redecorated, but he built them to keep his mind off grieving for his wife and child after they were killed by a drunk driver. He doesn't remember enough of his sources to get me through such a project, being a bit distracted at the time. However, he'll be a real time asset solving assembly problems and tuning the EFI.

That's why TurtleWagon's supplier list is so important to me. If I can get a complete and accurate list, I'll contact the suppliers and list the costs, then whip out the debit card, make the purchases, send everything off for mods. I can assemble the modded parts myself, but don't really have the skills to operate all the CAM next door. Too bad the machinist/designer/engineer CAD/CAM genius next door is doing all that work making 127 times the money I could pay him.

TurtleWagon, I'll buy one of those extra custom pistons for the build. Maybe 2 because that 276cc café racer across town is so much fun. Plus, my 13-year old grandson needs the extra grunt to haul his big carcass around.
    Darth, jtomelliott49 and Sthrnromr like this.

Where do you live? That neighbor across town sounds like a former member here...???
    Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
    Base gasket oil leaking for a couple months. A bit of oil smoke on cold starts and engine braking--worn rings. Carb float valve stopped stopping when shut off, body casting cracked where pin for float acts as hinge. I'm thinking cracked carb body allows misalignment of pin and seat, which allows fuel flow with full bowl So, need a new carb and rings for sure. Probably just do that and retire the TW to the farm hands for riding fence, then finding a clean late model on the back of a motorhome for the big build.

A man lives across town has 4 TWs, 3 bored, stroked, 6 speeds, and redecorated, but he built them to keep his mind off grieving for his wife and child after they were killed by a drunk driver. He doesn't remember enough of his sources to get me through such a project, being a bit distracted at the time. However, he'll be a real time asset solving assembly problems and tuning the EFI.

That's why TurtleWagon's supplier list is so important to me. If I can get a complete and accurate list, I'll contact the suppliers and list the costs, then whip out the debit card, make the purchases, send everything off for mods. I can assemble the modded parts myself, but don't really have the skills to operate all the CAM next door. Too bad the machinist/designer/engineer CAD/CAM genius next door is doing all that work making 127 times the money I could pay him.

TurtleWagon, I'll buy one of those extra custom pistons for the build. Maybe 2 because that 276cc café racer across town is so much fun. Plus, my 13-year old grandson needs the extra grunt to haul his big carcass around.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Turtle, you mention you're going to paint the engine - have you given any thought to what you are going to use? I ask as there has been a lot of opinions on here about overheating with a 229cc let alone a 250cc or larger. I am in the (long) process of building a 243cc 6-speed to transplant in to my TW. I already have a Lizdbreath oil cooler, but have been looking at using Cerakote Heat Transfer Coating (https://www.cerakote.com/resources/f...%202019WEB.pdf) on the jug and cyl head. While not inexpensive, I don't see it doing any harm. Thoughts?

James

I’ve been running the TW 225 for years now a TW 250 and there’s never been an overheating problem. Even pulling my TW trailer all the way across the state of Arizona 850 miles never had an overheat problem. Jet it and forget it !

ronnydog

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponosred Links