New Shock
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New Shock

New Shock

I finally did it and ordered a new YSS shock. instead of wasting money on the electric and cable bill I prioritized and got a shock. I just couldn't take getting pounded riding the TW like it's not designed for .
    I had the spring set up for 220 (I'm 180) and asked them to damp it for MX for me (lol) as the TW is a fatty with the unsprung weight of a monster truck and I usually have some type of cargo with me.
    No remote reservoir or compression damping but it does have rebound adjustments. Rebuildable too.
    The shock allows the length to be adjusted 5mm longer or shorter. I guess that's about 15 to 20mm in seat height. At only 390.00 I figure I'll easily get 400 dollars of fun out of it. The stock shock is primative. I know the TW will never handle like a real dirt bike but it has to help. I've never had a bike so bad on whoops before.
    It's freezing here and I'm a cold weather wussy. When I get it I'll post some pics and let you all know how it works when it arrives. No matter what, I thought anything has to work better than a 31 year old TW shock with original oil.
    I wouldn't put a YSS shock on my Vintage MX race bikes but the TW it has to be an improvement. I really wanted a Noleen shock for 1000 but my wife enjoys watching TV and having electricity in the house. Spoiled right.I mean her not me.]
    I haven't been impressed with Race Tech emulators I n any fork. I am just going to get springs. Should I get the heaviest springs they make for the TW?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]189068[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maxpower; 01-30-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    87 TW

Really interested in how this turns out for you.

Also I was thinking about the Race Tech emulators. What was your good/bad experience with them? Maybe you'll save me some change...

What model shock is that and how does one go about ordering one?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    What model shock is that and how does one go about ordering one?
    Not sure what Maxpower put on, but I do believe some run the YSS MZ366-320TRL-39 on their TWs. Can be bought on numerous sites.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower View Post
    I finally did it and ordered a new YSS shock. instead of wasting money on the electric and cable bill I prioritized and got a shock. I just couldn't take getting pounded riding the TW like it's not designed for .
    I had the spring set up for 220 (I'm 180) and asked them to damp it for MX for me (lol) as the TW is a fatty with the unsprung weight of a monster truck and I usually have some type of cargo with me.
    No remote reservoir or compression damping but it does have rebound adjustments. Rebuildable too.
    The shock allows the length to be adjusted 5mm longer or shorter. I guess that's about 15 to 20mm in seat height. At only 390.00 I figure I'll easily get 400 dollars of fun out of it. The stock shock is primative. I know the TW will never handle like a real dirt bike but it has to help. I've never had a bike so bad on whoops before.
    It's freezing here and I'm a cold weather wussy. When I get it I'll post some pics and let you all know how it works when it arrives. No matter what, I thought anything has to work better than a 31 year old TW shock with original oil.
    I wouldn't put a YSS shock on my Vintage MX race bikes but the TW it has to be an improvement. I really wanted a Noleen shock for 1000 but my wife enjoys watching TV and having electricity in the house. Spoiled right.I mean her not me.]
    I haven't been impressed with Race Tech emulators I n any fork. I am just going to get springs. Should I get the heaviest springs they make for the TW?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]189068[/ATTACH
    What YSS part number did you end up ordering?

Senior Member Soulprogression108's Avatar
    I love it. Fak lights I need to ride. I’m living along those lines lately more than usual haha

I ordered a YSS shock. MZ366

There is a better quality shock called Hyperpro or something like that. It was more at 569.00. I am not racing this bike and I don't think an extra 180.00 will make the TW handle better.
    I ordered it from Y.S.S. USA Racing Suspension
    YSS is popular over seas. They aren't popular here because they put little effort into selling their products here
    Sthrnromr and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    87 TW

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    I hope that you enjoy your new rear shock. I'm going on 2 years with my Work Performance gasser shock. I decided the TW will be mine forever, so the investment to improve the biggest weakness of the bike, the suspension, was totally worth it. I personally think that it has made a world of difference. I realize that we are a bunch of cheapskates around here, so the investment isn't for everyone, but I think that it is totally worth it. If you are like me and the TW will be your bike for a long time, and you ride often enough, and you are unhappy with the suspension, then it is totally worth it. With the Works, the bike sits a little taller because the springs and rider sag are now appropriate for my load. I JUMP the bike now, riding faster and better than I did before. I can ride it a little bit more like a dirt bike and not just like a tractor. I think I can only recall bottoming out the rear once since getting the new suspension. Tire pressure adjustments do help as well. You do have to realize that you are still on a TW200, and these improvements are relative. They won't magically turn your bike into a Beta, but again, they will improve the TW. Happy riding!

Dryden-Tdub, Mel, admiral and 2 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

I'm thinking the Works Performance shock is a better shock. But the stock shock is so poor anything will help. Suspension and tires are very important . I can rationalize the investment as an safety issue.If I don't swap out and drive myself into the ground the money I saved from x-rays easily outweigh the price of a shock
    87 TW

Hope to hear the report !

Part of the re-hab on my 87' is gonna require a replacement .
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links