Steve's TW200/TTR225 Engine Transplant....
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Steve's TW200/TTR225 Engine Transplant....

Steve's TW200/TTR225 Engine Transplant....

This project may take a while to gain momentum, but I hope to have it up and running by mid-spring.

I've got one of PlacerLode's counter shaft extenders, so I've been looking for a suitable XT/TTR engine donor.

Well, I found this little gem on Craig's List, only 8 miles away!

ttr225 - 1.jpg

ttr225 - 2.jpg

It's a 2004 TTR225... it's a little rough around the edges, but generally in good shape. I'm hoping to part out quite a bit of the stuff I don't need, to offset the cost of the build.

My basic plan is to use the TTR engine (obviously) with the TW left side case and shaft extension.

I also want to install my right side TW case, with all the kick-start hardware... that should work, right?

The stainless header is a bonus! I'm also going to try to use the TTR muffler... the cap and spark arrestor are gone, but the baffle has not been drilled. If I can fit this to my TW, and use my existing cap and spark arrestor, maybe I'll finally have a reasonably quiet running motorcycle!

I'll figure out how to mount the steel tube skid plate... and that handlebar mounted choke knob will find it's way to my TW as well!

I'll have to look closely at the carburetor. I like the pumper that I'm running now, but if the factory TTR carb is in good shape, I may give it a try first.

Anyhow, this weekend I'll get a closer look, and add some more photos. The tear-down should commence pretty soon.

This is going to be fun!
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 02-04-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    Sthrnromr, Mel, TW-Brian and 6 others like this.
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

I'm excited! Did you take it out for a ride before you dismantle it? I can't wait to see how you like it compared to the stock TW. Maybe you should take your TW to the drag strip for a before and after comparison lol. OK at least make a video drag racing a stock TW.
    Fred, CJ7Pilot, Miaugi and 1 others like this.

there are something design things you wonder about, like why they would put a handlebar mounted choke on one bike... and down on the carb on another.

you will really appreciate the extra cc's and 6th speed. enjoy!
    CJ7Pilot, Miaugi and jtomelliott49 like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Likely he will have to retain the TW 5-speed transmission in order to use the extended output shaft.

Charles.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Modified Motorcycles by ChopperCharles:
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
    Likely he will have to retain the TW 5-speed transmission in order to use the extended output shaft.

Charles.
    ?
    isn't that the benefit of the extended shaft, that you can just drop the TTR/XT motor in and use as is, with the 6th speed?
    Fred, CJ7Pilot, Peterb and 1 others like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yes, using Placerlode's extension on the stock TTR counter shaft, all I really need to swap over is the TW side case (and associated electrical parts) with the outboard counter shaft support bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post

Charles.
    Here's a link to Placerlode's counter shaft extension: https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tw2...nversions.html

It's a game changer for a lot of us!

Ken
    Has anyone actually done the swap and compared the power differences? Are there any power losses from the TW electrical verses the Ttr electrical?
    CJ7Pilot and jtomelliott49 like this.

I rode some one's a bit on bottom of Schaefer Trail in Moab. Plus TW-Brian recently let me ride his 226 six speed with the new Duro2 ATV tire on suburban roads. Very nice but I didn't try to flog the borrowed bikes. They both seemed stronger at slow speeds. What really made a difference was riding IBXR's (?) one that also had about 35 lbs of weight removed. Like Lotus's Collin Chapman he really knows how to add lightness.
    On mine I forgot to weigh the two different flywheels but both seemed about the same and easily confused. TW's smaller, yet heavier rear wheel should add additional flywheel effect decreasing acceleration but increasing stall resistance.
    It would take our CDI guru to know if there is any ignition mapping differences between the bikes. Heads, timing and cam duration all seem the same.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-06-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Ken, CJ7Pilot and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Has anyone actually done the swap and compared the power differences? Are there any power losses from the TW electrical verses the Ttr electrical?
    I'm not expecting a huge power increase, but a 10%+ displacement increase should certainly be noticeable. I'm also looking forward to a lower 1st gear, and a higher top gear.

I'm stuck with my '87 charging system, for better or for worse.

On another note, I'm worried that I won't be able to install my kick starter, because the inside shaft mount might not be finish drilled. I won't know until I pull the right cover off.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links