ATV Tire on Stock TW Setup?
Close

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By Sthrnromr
  • 2 Post By Fred

Thread: ATV Tire on Stock TW Setup?

ATV Tire on Stock TW Setup?

Ok after doing a few quick searches and reading a lot of modification threads, I am left with a question. Would a 25x8x14 or maybe even a 26x8x14 tire not fit on the stock TW setup? Just from a casual visual inspection, it seems that going from stock 80 or 7.1 to an 8 wouldn't be a deal breaker. I assume that with all the modification happening it is, but can someone confirm the 8 inch tire will not work without modification? Not really sure I want to do this in the future, just more of a curiosity thing. Well and maybe having a ATV tire hot swappable setup at some point
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnromr View Post
    Ok after doing a few quick searches and reading a lot of modification threads, I am left with a question. Would a 25x8x14 or maybe even a 26x8x14 tire not fit on the stock TW setup? Just from a casual visual inspection, it seems that going from stock 80 or 7.1 to an 8 wouldn't be a deal breaker. I assume that with all the modification happening it is, but can someone confirm the 8 inch tire will not work without modification? Not really sure I want to do this in the future, just more of a curiosity thing. Well and maybe having a ATV tire hot swappable setup at some point
    All of those sizes you listed will work without having to modify your stock swingarm. Some have mentioned worrying about rocks jamming between the tire and swingarm but this won't happen any more than a stock tire...very rare.

I have a 26x9x14 Ceros ATV Tire with the stock swingarm and haven't had any problems. One item of note or concern is you can't use the full range of a chain adjustment if you use at 26-inch tire. You can make up for this mostly with an x-ring chain, i.e. it won't need to be adjusted as much as a non o or x ring chain. I've had my Ceros on now for 2 or 3 years without any problems.

An 8" wide tire will give you more "side room" up at the front of the swingarm which curves. The side lugs on my Ceros would touch the "side front" of the swingarm before the center part of the tire does. Fred found a TerraCross tire in the size 26x8x14 and this is what I'll go with next time. Last I looked Ceros didn't come in an 8" wide 26x14.
    ejfranz, Miaugi, Sthrnromr and 2 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    All of those sizes you listed will work without having to modify your stock swingarm. Some have mentioned worrying about rocks jamming between the tire and swingarm but this won't happen any more than a stock tire...very rare.

I have a 26x9x14 Ceros ATV Tire with the stock swingarm and haven't had any problems. One item of note or concern is you can't use the full range of a chain adjustment if you use at 26-inch tire. You can make up for this mostly with an x-ring chain, i.e. it won't need to be adjusted as much as a non o or x ring chain. I've had my Ceros on now for 2 or 3 years without any problems.

An 8" wide tire will give you more "side room" up at the front of the swingarm which curves. The side lugs on my Ceros would touch the "side front" of the swingarm before the center part of the tire does. Fred found a TerraCross tire in the size 26x8x14 and this is what I'll go with next time. Last I looked Ceros didn't come in an 8" wide 26x14.
    Amazing. Exactly what I was looking to confirm. Thank you. Now I can have some fun planning a hot swappable setup for the future =)
    admiral likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

And should you feel clearances are a bit tight when adjusting chain so that axle is is far forward you can always use a belt sander to remove some rubber. All these ATV tires have more than enough meat on the side walls, some can be removed at the point of conflict.
    Sthrnromr and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links