Anyone done the fork and rear shock upgrades from Pro-Cycle
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Anyone done the fork and rear shock upgrades from Pro-Cycle

Anyone done the fork and rear shock upgrades from Pro-Cycle

Im planing on adding some rear baggage and something to the front so I can go on some overhights in the Cascades. Has anyone done the front fork and rear shock upgrades you can get from Pro-Cycle?

They offer 20-40% stiffer front forks and stiffer rear shock based on your carrying weight. Looks like some good stuff to me, but Im a newbie. Also the few times Ive ridden a dub the front end did DIVE
    pretty easily during breaking. I wondered about that.

Tom
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Welcome. I'm close to 250 lbs. and put the stiffest springs on front and back from procycle. Some say putting the front fork emulators are better than just the bigger spring but I have no experience with that. For me, the springs are better than stock but this is very subjective according to your use and riding style. For me, the TW does ride more rigid or stiffer but I don't get the bouncy bouncy pogo rear end bounce I got with the stock rear spring (as much).

Here is the procycle spring (left) versus the stock spring and spacer (right).

Here is the stock rear spring (yellow) compared to the stiffer red spring. (Note: My TW is a 2015 and I've heard the newer TW's, 2017/2018? maybe have a different style rear shock).

Red stiffer spring installed on the shock with a DIY spring compressor. Extreme caution should be used when using any DIY spring compressor. I've never had a problem but some people lose a finger, toe, or other body parts just walking across the street so I thought I'd better include the caution statement.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I went with the lighter of the two springs on the forks and shock. I did not want it too stiff as I spend most of my time on the street. Both are an improvement over stock. Also consider going with 10WT. fork oil.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bentzen View Post
    Im planing on adding some rear baggage and something to the front so I can go on some overhights in the Cascades. Has anyone done the front fork and rear shock upgrades you can get from Pro-Cycle?

They offer 20-40% stiffer front forks and stiffer rear shock based on your carrying weight. Looks like some good stuff to me, but Im a newbie. Also the few times Ive ridden a dub the front end did DIVE
    pretty easily during breaking. I wondered about that.

Tom
    Your fork springs are preloaded... Added washers just over an inch stack, Took the dive when braking out of it anyway.
    Tom P

I put the heavier front springs sold by Procyle and fresh 5w fork oil. Very happy with the result - seldom bottom out now, often did with stock springs. I'm about 210ibs.

i'm 190+/- lbs and i went with the .6kg/mm front springs and the 15kg/mm rear spring and been happy with that. not like i ride motocross, but i beat it harder than just gravel roads and known to hit a jump or two and it made a big difference.

mine's a '94 but i replaced the rear shock with a 2001+ reinforced one
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

How big of a pain was it to do the front springs?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Bear View Post
    How big of a pain was it to do the front springs?
    not much pof a big deal... i did it with tw-brian's excellent service garage.

1. suspend or lift up the front end to remove weight.
    2. remove end caps from fork tubes. (careful they still have some tension)
    3. remove the old springs and spacers.
    4. put in new springs.
    5. reverse steps 2 and 1.

you can check and change the fork oil too depending on what you know about the current level.

(brian did i forget anything?)
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Easy to do a JB just stated. I would recommend changing out the oil. I did, the bike (a 2015) had about 5,000 miles - mostly dirt rides. Th oil was getting darker and had sediment on bottom of forks that took a few flushes to get out. Still pretty easy - just raise front end, take off the speedometer insert, pull front bolt, take off tire, loosen the fork clamps and remove forks, take out springs, dump oil from top of forks, flush with fresh oil, add (I think) it was 8 oz fresh oil, put in new springs and put together. Good to go!

I'll be doing all the above soon except replacing oil and springs - need to pull forks to put new fork books on. My boots are starting to split - using clear silicone right now to keep gunk out.

Any suggestions for good quality boots anyone?
    Last edited by Donzo; 02-23-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    not much of a big deal... i did it with tw-brian's excellent service garage.

1. suspend or lift up the front end to remove weight.
    2. remove end caps from fork tubes. (careful they still have some tension)
    3. remove the old springs and spacers.
    4. put in new springs.
    5. reverse steps 2 and 1.

you can check and change the fork oil too depending on what you know about the current level.

(brian did i forget anything?)
    That just about covers it, Joe!

Here's a thread that shows the internals of the forks, nothing scary is inside there.

https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tec...mystified.html
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 02-23-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links