Another Inexpensive Bags Option
Close

Shasta County - In the Shadow of Lassen Peak
    I've been looking for something inexpensive to use on my TW for hauling stuff around the ranch and for the occasional day-trip. I originally used a pair of bike bags that worked okay but looked kind of sloppy but all the true MC stuff is too expensive for my taste so I kept looking. The other day, while I was at Tractor Supply Company picking up some hydraulic hose, I took a look at their horse saddle bags and I found these - http://www.tractorsupply.com/weaver-...le-bag-5046734 - on sale for $27.99 with straps. I bought two and then proceeded to mount them on my front and rear CycleRacks.

I had the CycleRack rear bags mounts so I kept them on just to keep the bags off the muffler and out of the chain but I found that, by mounting the bags to the rear, I really didn't need anything in front to keep the bags out of the front wheel but I will be fabricating up a guard anyway. I mounted them with the included four buckle straps and also some heavy duty black cable ties. The rear bags fit across the rack just like it would not a saddle, but I had to cut the front bag set in half to mount it and give me access to the rack - I don't ride too much at night so I use the front rack to haul a 1.5 gal fuel can usually for my chainsaw - yeah, it blocks the headlight but I'm usually off-road and don't need it.

The bags are insulated all around and are very water resistant with an inside flap, so it's nice for carrying cold beverages and lunch. They are small enough to not get in the way and, since I'm not a long-range tour taker so I don't miss not having high capacity bags. They are very light and are very durable looking. The insulation also acts as very efficient padding - I could safely carry an iPad if I was so inclined (I'm not). While the bags are not large, having four of them gives me very nice capacity, especially coupled with the box on the back rack and four tubes.

Those are really good looking bags and your bike is set up very well! It is obvious that you have put a lot of thought into practicality and function. (It also appears that you live in a beautiful part of the country.)
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

Good find! The bags look great on your bike.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rmcglad55 View Post
    Those are really good looking bags and your bike is set up very well! It is obvious that you have put a lot of thought into practicality and function. (It also appears that you live in a beautiful part of the country.)

Thank you rmcglad. I'm still running the stock tires and probably will until they start to crack - they are okay for me on mud, dirt and rock so I'm really not to anxious to spend the bills for something that will not hugely improve my riding experience. Yes, we are blessed to live up here, a mile from my nearest neighbor and riddled with woodland trails and challenging terrain. Here's a map showing my place:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Good find! The bags look great on your bike.
    Thanks Rainman, I wanted to share this for those who need some storage and want to save some money - these bags are really a great bargain for the amount of work that went into them. BTW, I loved reading your story about getting your screen name.

I've been looking at soft bags too, altho I wouldnt mind spending more. I need a bit more space, so I'm kinda takin rough measurements and comparing my old Starlet bags as to sizing on the TW. All of my luggage experience has been with BMW hard bags.

Has anyone tried the Cortech brand bags??
    2005 Tdub

Quote Originally Posted by Flingwing View Post
    Thank you rmcglad. I'm still running the stock tires and probably will until they start to crack - they are okay for me on mud, dirt and rock so I'm really not to anxious to spend the bills for something that will not hugely improve my riding experience. Yes, we are blessed to live up here, a mile from my nearest neighbor and riddled with woodland trails and challenging terrain. Here's a map showing my place:

If you ever come to Florida for any reason, please contact me. There are still some great open spaces to ride and see. I have ridden the tail of the dragon on my TW.
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

Quote Originally Posted by rmcglad55 View Post
    If you ever come to Florida for any reason, please contact me. There are still some great open spaces to ride and see. I have ridden the tail of the dragon on my TW.

Will do RMC. I was there for sea survival school when Holmstead AFB was still around and I was in Special Forces Aviation at Ft. Bragg, NC. Lived in LA, GA, SC, NC and AL but it's been at least a year or two now. I've done the glades and I know you have some nice country for riding. A reciprocal offer stands for you if you wend your way west.

Hey Flingwing,

That is a nice setup. I also have a 1450 and would like to attached it back onto my cyclerack. What kind of loop hooks are you using to attach the pelican case to the cyclerack? Any chance to get a few pics of the trail bags and how they sit across the cyclerack?

Did I also reada that they don't swing into the wheels without the guards if you mount them towards the back?

Thanks

Brock.

Can you all stop posting such cool stuff !!! I am trying to refrain from wanting and buying more stuff.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Hey Flingwing,

That is a nice setup. I also have a 1450 and would like to attached it back onto my cyclerack. What kind of loop hooks are you using to attach the pelican case to the cyclerack? Any chance to get a few pics of the trail bags and how they sit across the cyclerack?

Did I also reada that they don't swing into the wheels without the guards if you mount them towards the back?

Thanks

Brock.

Can you all stop posting such cool stuff !!! I am trying to refrain from wanting and buying more stuff.
    Thanks again Brock. I have had zero issues with the bags getting into the spokes in front. The rear bags do have guards - directly from Cyclerack - but I believe they would be okay without the guards if you mounted them well to the rear. These bags are large enough for my purposes as this is mainly a bike I ride around the ranch with for chores and such and I don't do any overnighting or road trips. The insulation in the bags makes them great for packing a lunch with cold beverages and a couple or blue ice bricks.

The bags are attached to the racks with heavy duty zip ties. The bags have very nice and pretty adventitiously positioned grommets and D-rings that I was able to use to my mounting advantage. I like to make most of my hanging stuff easily removable and I carry several zip ties in my box, along with a Wrist Rocket slingshot for critters and a first aid kit, so I can actually pull the bags off and carry them to a project I can't ride to. I live in the mountains above the Santa Clara Valley and we have some very rugged country and steep cliffs that I have to negotiate.

For example, get our internet from a wireless provider whose tower I can't see from my house. I had to negotiate with them to get service and I had to do much of my own installation to get service to the ranchhouse. The radio is a mile up on a ridge, off grid, and I had to cement in my own antenna pole, install a 170 watt solar panel on another pole, build a small enclosure for my batteries and equipment, install a repeater at the radio and another on my water-tank hill, and run 500 feet of hard wire to run power over ethernet to run the radio and repeaters. Everything but the 10 foot poles, the solar panel, and the 4x6 equipment house was delivered via T-Dub, including the 70 pound bags of concrete mix.

If you still want me to post pix of where I put the zip ties on my saddle bags, let me know and on they'll go.

Sponosred Links