1st tw upgrades
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 1st tw upgrades

1st tw upgrades

My local yamaha shoppe doesn't carry accessories. I was hoping for some info on hand/lever guards and windscreens. It's strange that i haven't been able to find tw200 specific items knowing that not much has changed for 30 years or so.
    If you please, let me know what type of hand guards and windscreens you prefer and where you got them. Keep in mind i am not upgrading the handlebars yet.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

I was in the same boat for a decade before discovering this forum.
    Many really like ProCycle's organized TW200 section of their website. However Procycle can be a bit pricey compared to identical offerings from other internet sites like Amazon or eBay, especially when you factor in shipping for small orders. They are an American re-seller so support them if you like.
    Handguard options and preferences are legion, however Tusk brand De-Flex model handguards are a very popular mid-priced option at around $55. Chinese counterfeits of an Acrbis design can be had for under $30 on eBay and Amazon. Some like the clones, mine broke after the first impact. Your results may vary.
    Windscreens seen here are usually a small dual sport model called JIMBOSHIELD made by our very own forum member JIMBO. PM him for color and ordering options.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

My Barkbusters justified every bit of their higher price a few months ago. I work with my hands and can't afford any downtime for my digits. Jimboshield is on my list, but I don't have one yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Which Jimbo has the super sweet windscreens?

Quote Originally Posted by Idon'thaveoneyet... View Post
    Which Jimbo has the super sweet windscreens?
    https://www.tw200forum.com/forum/tw2...ield-info.html
    Fred and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Pro Cycle is a bit pricey.
    They are a very small company of 12 (I think!) off-road enthusiasts and can't afford to sell at eBay or Megastore prices. Their margins are slim. They offer good, knowledgeable tech support & advice, on-line, email and phone.
    They have a great selection of quality farkles for our little hot-rods and are a pleasure to work with.
    I order some things from eBay, of course. That's the only way I could afford my FMF exhaust. I did ask PC if they could price-match and they just couldn't. I fully understand and support them all I can.

JIMBO Shields...yes, they rock!
    They look really cool and do a good job of smoothing air flow but are not a total "wind blocker" like a full (barn door) windshield. You still have some good air-flow to "lean on" at speed and can enjoy the full "knees in the breeze" and "bugs in the teeth" motorcycling experience.
    And you can lean down & "hide" behind them to avoid a big mouth-full of, um..."bush". The kind experienced on wild & wooly single-track. Just to be clear...
    Installation is a 5-minute affair with a single screwdriver...piece o' cake. Very sturdy.
    "Jimbo" is a fire fighter and deserves our support. The price is also very reasonable, quality & service are tops!

Did I mention they look cool?
    My bike now sports a black headlight faring and a black JNS led headlight. Got to keep up with the "Darth" image, don'tcha know!
    Last edited by Darth; 03-03-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Jimbo sheild ordered!
    Are there any additional lever guard opinions that mount well on the stock TW handlebars?
    Darth likes this.

Enjoy that Jimbo!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

I like the Jimbo shield that came on my TW. Looks good, functional, nice farkle.

My current go-to on handguards are made by Enduro Engineering. They run like $90-100 with the plastic shields (which are often sold separately). I realize there are cheaper options, I've used them. The D-Flex ones are OK, but I also noticed the hardware starts to rust if you look at them funny, the clamps don't hold on that well (after even a light drop they're always pushed out of position), and the plastic fades rapidly in sunlight and cracks easily on falls. Better than nothing but they start to look like crap pretty quickly. Same can be said about the China copies of name brands.

A neat option that the EE guards have is getting a "P" shaped handlebar clamp- giving more room for the clutch cable and brake line, so you can get the guards on straight. Hardware and plastics are high quality and I've had no issues with rust.

I've had Cycra and Acerbis ones in the past and no real complaints about either.

Although if you're going to do handguards, I'd really consider replacing the stock handlebar too. It's made out of cheese and is rather small/low. Bends very easily.

Another mod you'll want to do right away is to yank the tamper plug off the mixture screw on the carb and give it another 3/4 turn or so out. It'll start up easier, warm up much faster, and be a lot smoother at low speeds.
    Last edited by RaZed1; 03-06-2019 at 10:44 AM.

As mentioned earlier - ebay and Amazon are good for parts. I've had good experience with price and shipping with the below linked company as well. Free 3 day shipping on $100 or more orders....easy to do with the Dub illness

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...5-yamaha-tw200

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links