Another crude customization: spare fuel platform.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another crude customization: spare fuel platform.

Another crude customization: spare fuel platform.

Trying to find a way to carry fuelIMG_0726.jpgIMG_0727.jpgIMG_0723.jpgIMG_0722.jpgIMG_0724.jpg weight as low as possible. The pictures are self explanatory. The Yamalube container is for visual info only. Whatever container I will settle for will then be strapped to the bike frame with wide Velcro straps or Rock straps. I tried bungee cords but they allow too much movement, even tho the trip I'm preparing for will be all on pavement (oh, the horror.., I want to make sure the container stays put. Hopefully I will be able to use a Rotopax can as I think the platform is wide enough. Crude yes but it feels pretty solid. Constructive criticism welcome.

Should work, especially if inelastic straps help hold fuel container securely to rest of foot peg support framework so that fuel and homemade platform cannot rotate at all around passenger peg. Give it a thorough test pulling and pushing to see if anything can work loose before actually going for a ride. Rotopax should be rigid enough to not flex like thinner conventional gas cans.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I’m going to be sure to put it thru a hard work out for sure before I strap anything on it. I’ll even wrap several layers of duct tape to make it less slippery. The velcro straps I used allow for no movement at all. A 2.5 gal. Rotopax/fuelpax in addition to the 1.4 gal. tank should give me about 350 mi. range, good enough I think for the trip I’m preparing for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Had 3 of these things, and have faithfully carried a quart in a camping fuel bottle thousands of miles, because of the small tank. Never used it. Even pushing it I always made it to a pump. There is a small volume of fuel along the hump for the frame you can't use. Unless you're in the desert why bother?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

YBW
    I thought the 4 gallon Clarke tank was going be provide wonkey handling but its really not very noticeable. I'm sure you could find a member out there who has one on their bike they would let you try?

great idea!! i may have to copy that!!
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Now to just balance things out by putting twenty pounds hanging off the right side. Two one gallon containers would be more balanced & less crowded for your feet.
    So where are you headed? 150 miles out and back without reliable gas, or a single 300+ mile push to the next station?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Instead of carrying extra fuel and it's weight, I've staged fuel at a mid point for a given ride. Usually where the trail is near a road on the way in to the staging area. I'll just pull over, tuck the can in the woods, and head towards staging. When I reach the refuel area, I bungee the empty container onto the rear rack and off I go. I suppose I could just stash the can again and pick up when I leave the area, but I usually don't.
    Willys714 likes this.
    The bear slayer!

I like this idea!
    Husqvarna 6440 - she may be old, but she still runs like a sewing machine.
    2006 TW200

With the stock tank I had need to make fuel depots a few times for rides planned to exceed 120 miles. Either drop off a full Prestone gallon on my way in if haul vehicle was on intended route back like Death Valley, or ride with a gallon in a day pack about 40 miles then top-off TW tank and then stash remaining fuel behind a bush for retrieval on way home. Either way plan was to have enough fuel without having to haul it and container around all the time.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links