James's tw build saga
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: James's tw build saga

James's tw build saga

Well, this is a very overdue post on the plans to upgrade my TW. Long story short, I had a generous tax return in 2015 and ended up buying an unsold 2014 from a dealer for a really good price. Then I found this site. I should really thank all of you guys for inspiring me to customize and modify my bike, but part of me says I should also be cursing you all for getting on to this expensive journey known as the TW200. Seriously though, I can’t blame my weakness on you guys – besides, my father warned me the cheapest part of owning a vehicle was buying it. Boy, he wasn’t kidding!

So to date, my upgrades have been simple and, for the most part, ones that I have been capable of doing myself. The bike now sports a high-mount front fender, JNS headlight, LED lighting, Seat Concepts seat, Manracks rear cargo rack, KOSO tach, USB power outlet, Quad Lock phone mount, Clarke tank, 2” risers, Shorai battery, wide foot pegs, Shinko 241 front tire, Ride On sealant/balance fluid, Lizrdbrth oil cooler (via Mekdad), a 47-tooth rear sprocket, and the idle screw turned out 2.5 turns. Bought but not yet installed includes Tusk handguards, shorty levers, WebCam 340a camshaft and springs, and auxiliary LED driving lights. Did I mention the bit about the cheapest part about owning a vehicle?

So, I decided to do some more involved performance-oriented upgrades. Yes, I know this bike will never be a speed demon or a true MX bike – no issues as I drive on secondary paved roads and “dirt roads” and cart tracks for the most part. No, this was mostly driven by the need to move my 230lb carcass around with a little more alacrity. In what turned out to be Plan A, I was going to make it into a 214cc beast. I owe a lot of thanks to Tony (Elime) for his sage advice on this. To this end, I bought a Wiseco 70mm piston and bored out a spare jug. Not too expensive… so far.

And then along came Heli-Mech and I bought ax XT 225 6 spd gearset c/w clutch basket from him. Well, of course I had to get a TW countershaft modified to run the 6 spd. Well, if I’m going to split the cases, might as well bump it up to 223cc so I went out and bought an XT 225 crankshaft and balancer assy and an XT 225 clutch housing. So, Plan B was born. A little more expensive but still OK…

And then along came PlacerLode with his exquisite countershaft extension. What is a (weak) guy to do… buy it of course and come up with a new plan! So last week I finally found ax XT 225 locally for a good price. For less than $1000 CAD I got a ’96 with 21000km on the clock, a clear title, and it started right up at -10c. So, a good engine and lots of pieces to part out. Clearly, I now had Plan C and some spare parts lying around. This suddenly got a lot more expensive…

And then my conscience kicked in. The fact is that the ’96 is just in too nice to part-out and to be lost to the motorcycle world. A small rip in the seat, a small dent on the tank, worn out tires (factory originals??), and a busted petcock knob are really the only faults. So, on to what I am now calling “Plan C v2.0”. I am going to freshen up the XT motor with a 71mm Wiseco piston, bored out jug, a rebuilt head (got a deal on a YFB 250 head), and fresh clutch plates. I will put that motor, along with the extension shaft and a ’07 TW left-side case c/w stator and pick-up and a 07 TW flywheel (both bought on Ebay), in the TW this spring for this year’s riding season. In the meantime, I have purchased a complete TTR 225 bottom end that I will build into a 243cc monster (I don’t want to enlarge the case mouth or deal with piston interference). This should be ready to go into the TW chassis for 2020 and I will return the XT motor to its rightful home. Have I mentioned how really expensive this is getting????

In any case, I already have a buyer lined up for the XT, and by the end of this I should have a 214cc “kit”, an XT 225 6 spd gearset c/w clutch basket, an XT 225 crank and balancer assy, a WebCam 340a camshaft (if I decide to upgrade to a 389) and a PlacerLode countershaft extension for sale. I might be able to recoup some of my expenses this way, but I know I will never break even. Did I mention the bit about the cheapest part of owning a vehicle yet?

Expensive? Yes.
    Questionable outlay of money? Probably.
    Insane? Maybe.
    Worth it? MOST DEFINITELY!!

To Sebastien, Christddel, Elime, Heli-Mech, PlacerLode, Fred, TW-Brian, Vanillagorilla1, Joeband, lbxr, YBW, Vagabond, Admiral, Fred, Ronnydog, TheLuigus, CJ7Pilot, and a slew of others I have probably missed, many thanks for breaking trail on these conversions and making it so much easier for those of us who follow (never liked breaking trail in the toboggan harness on winter warfare exercises!). Please expect to hear questions from me as this progresses, especially the 243cc bit! Hopefully, by detailing my experiences here on this forum I can pay back you guys and the larger TW community as a whole for all of the help you have given me so far. I look forward to posting further.

James

Bike Summer 2018:

James TW.jpg
    PlacerLode and Ken like this.

Looks much better right-side up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow. Have you ever been tested for ADD lol? Can’t wait to see pics, especially your KOSO tach, even if it’s not on the bike yet. Good update.
    Apolloha and Ken like this.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

This is the deal I got on the rebuilt head. They also had YFM 250 heads for $250 CAD. Not sure what the difference is...

Cylinder Head and Valve Assembly for Yamaha Timberwolf 250 YFB250 1992-2000

Cylinder Head and Valve Assembly for Yamaha Timberwolf 250 YFB250 1992-2000

YFB 250 CYL HD.jpg

Item price: C $185.99
    Item ID: 331998059916
    Seller: partdiscounter (54864)
    Darth likes this.

BF - I don't have ADD... I'm an Engineer!! The KOSO tach is already installed and works great. I ordered a flat black one but I got a chrome one instead. No issues, works as advertised - 10k limit, shift light, and over rev warning (is this even possible on a TW?). Anyway, absolutely love this bike but somehow life keeps throwing little things in the way that seem to delay me. Probably for the better, gives me more time to think and find ways to spend more money!

James
    Badgerflorida, Darth, Juno and 1 others like this.

Nice! What else are we gonna do during these nasty winters? I currently have 3 TWs. When I realized how easy the first one was to work on, I just keep looking for older models that need TLC. Would like to see a pic of that tach when you get time. Also, did you set up your headlight with daytime running light? Cheers
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

i think you forgot the anti-gravity jimboshield...
    congrats on your decent into the madness.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TW-JMS View Post
    BF - I don't have ADD... I'm an Engineer!!

James
    That explains the upside down TW pic!
    Miaugi and Sthrnromr like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Everyone has to be a comedian... seriously though, I'm a Civil Engineer (my friends will tell you they've never met an engineer that was civil) and not a Mechanical Engineer so you'll have to be patient with my questions about things with parts that move.

Anyway, to answer FB's questions, I am running the DRL on the JNS headlight. When I replaced the front turn signals, I did not use the running light function of the old ones. As a result, I had 2 switched-hot circuits available - I used one for the headlight DRL and the other to power my KOSO GP tach. Pics of tach to fol later this wk.

James
    2014 TW. UBIQUE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links