HarborFreightHitchCarrierExpirience? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: HarborFreightHitchCarrierExpirience?

From Harbor Freight's website:

admiral and Fred like this.

A TW is not a light bike at 270+. As far as my own back-and-forth debates with myself one thing was sure, I did not need the extra worry about cracks or stability but also could justify something I could use for my larger motorcycles too if needed in an emergency.

I have 2 friends that have aluminum ramps and happy with them. One (he has one of those dual-bike versions) uses it for dirt bikes much lighter than a TW. The other actually does have a HF model and is happy with it. But he is also an expert welder and beefed it up structurally. Just use common-sense knowing that the mantra "you get what you pay for" really rings true.

I mostly trailer a dual Kendon behind a standard regular Jeep Wrangler (2 doors/stick-shift/soft top). It came with a tow package so when I do use my carrier it handles fine even with the TW on it. Oh yeah... I do know it's there but have never experienced any control or weird handling problems. With the 230lb. Honda XR I don't know it's there. Same with my friends XT225, like carrying a ghost.

One Little Piggy Goes To Market...
    IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

One thing I would add and this is specific to a Versahaul (not sure about other brands) you can slide the main carrier forward or backwards to match the specifics of the bike you are hauling. That in itself adds versatility for folks like me with a small platform vehicle like a Jeep. If I wanted or needed to carry something closer to 300lbs I could remove my rear tire and push the carrier right up to the frame. Again, use common sense.
    IMG_0904.jpg
    Miaugi, UncleRandy, Fred and 1 others like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    From Harbor Freight's website:

Those are indeed scary pictures but to be honest I have never seen that configuration for a carrier, not that I'm an expert but between on-line and in person I've just never seen one with that type of mounting system.

Perhaps this was a earlier generation model that was (appropriately) discontinued?
    reddave likes this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Those depicted TWs on a carrier sure weigh a lot more than 270 lbs!
    Even brand new without handguards, fuel, oil, cyclerack, tool tubes, aftermarket tires, etc these things weigh more than 270 lbs. Maybe dry with helium in the gas tank these things can get down below 285 lbs, maybe not. Ignore the marketing claimed weights if you disagree and just go weigh your bike.
    With all the common bells and whistles for a long day adventure my Betty Boop has tipped the scales a bit over 330lbs. Loaded Cyclerack and full 2.3 gallon XT225 gas tank add a good 30 lbs and the extended swingarm and ATV tire don't help for the weight conscious.
    Mel, Willys714 and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Agreeing with Miagui-I don't recognize that design. It is not even close to the one I own. It appears to have been modified/drilled and assembled by a hack. Washers are missing, bolts over tightened. The backstory would be interesting for sure. If catastrophic failure were prevalent-I'm sure their be a thread about it somewhere, perhaps we just haven't found it.
    reddave likes this.

Im currently using the one miaugi has pictured above in post #2. It's ok on road but literally falls apart on unimproved dirt roads or washes.
    This past weekend I had to constantly tighten the bolts that hold the aluminum to the steel. The bolts weren't coming loose, the aluminum was giving way. Ended up riding the bike to save the carrier for the trip home.
    Last edited by TW Newb; 03-20-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    2001 TW

Should have added specific to the Versahaul the 75-85lbs it weighs by itself. It's a strong sucker but heavy as hell too.
    Constant vibrations and road-shock is what'll get yet with a poorly designed aluminum carrier. Same with a crapy welded steel one.

As I said "you get what you pay for". I have no worries in this area and have hauled my 1969 BMW r69/2 to the shop for service no problem. At 430lbs. dry obviously not with the Wrangler.
    The carrier is rated for 500lbs. (there is a single 600lb. too) but the Wrangler sure ain't.
    Ken and jeepster09 like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

I believe I have the "new model" as I purchased it in June of last year. The bottom joint is steel and re-enforced. Also has steel "bands" on the topside to disperse stress. The front tire clamps, but the rear does not. Instead, remove two rear wheel "bars" and the rear wheel fits snug between the side rails. As I said before, I purchased it to transport a bike a bought across country and it worked great. I only use it now for on-road trips that are too high speed for the TW. I WOULD NEVER TRUST IT OFF-ROAD!!! See pics below.IMG_20190321_093345.jpg IMG_20190321_093423_2.jpg
    Fred and Sthrnromr like this.

FWIW, decided to use a HF Haul Master as a low cost "proof of concept" option. Not using the trailer hitch bar though, instead, mounting the carrier rack onto the trailer tongue of my Aluma 638 trailer. More details and pics in the blog but basically two square bend U-Bolts securing the rack's steel panel (which mates to the tow hitch bar if used as designed) and brackets securing the ends of the rack to prevent up/down flex when loading/unloading.

Still need to buy some short straps to secure the wheels to the rack, and still experimenting with how to attach the ratchet straps on both sides of the T-Dub.

more in the blog: https://redlegsrides.blogspot.com/20...nto-aluma.html

Note, above image is early attempts at figuring out best anchor points. No longer using the strap going forward towards the RV. Straps are now anchored on the wheel clamps for the front wheel, over the lower triple tree and back towards rear of rear tire....both sides.

The wheel clamps sort of work to hold the front tire from moving sideways, but will be using a short strap to ensure it's secure.
    Fred likes this.
    redlegsrides
    2006 Yamaha TW200
    1987 BMW R80
    1999 Ural Patrol with Beemer Engine.
    2014 Ural Patrol

Harbour Freight only sells cheaply made in China stuff....I would shop around more. You get what you pay for.
    "Life Member NRA"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links