HarborFreightHitchCarrierExpirience?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: HarborFreightHitchCarrierExpirience?

HarborFreightHitchCarrierExpirience?

Hello! After some searching and with my 20% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket, I'm going to give the Haul Master 400lb hitch carrier at Harbor Freight a try. There are plenty of threads on this hitch and a few related to the tw specifically but most talk about the importance of strapping the rear wheel directly to the the frame of the carrier since the real wheel doesn't sit below the hole that the wheel locking pins go through, it only sits on top of those pins since the tire is so wide. But as far as I could tell, no one mentions the front tire. My question, the only thing I couldn't find an answer to; does the front wheel sit low enough to utilize the locking pin on this particular hitch with oe tires? I know that quality straps, used correctly, should be all that's necessary to keep the bike happy back there, assuming the platform it's on is solid, but I would enjoy having at least one of those pins in for the sake of unlikely catastrophe. This will be my first venture with the TW behind my 93 wrangler. Experience on the subject is appreciated!

Cheers

I'm not familiar with the Haul Master 400 lb however I bought an aluminium carrier at Princess Auto which is similar to Harbor Freight that is rated for 400 lbs and to make sure the bike is secure I strap both wheels to the carrier and then use two tie-down straps to the handlebars. Works like a charm and only takes a couple of minutes to put the bike on or off the carrier. Here are some pics for you.

TW_Rack_2.jpgTW_Rack_4.jpgTW_Rack_5.jpgTW_Rack_6.jpg
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

I had one of these carriers for a while, but never trusted it for anything other than very short, local trips. I remember mine only having the wheel clamp feature on one end of the carrier, not both. Cycle Gear offers similar rail type carriers for not much more that are constructed out of steel instead of aluminum - I am sure it is heavier, but probably also more reliable. This is an area where you get what you pay for, and I never liked constantly checking my mirrors and worrying about my bike/carrier falling off.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Brian

100_3413.JPG
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 03-20-2019 at 08:56 AM. Reason: fixed typos and added pic
    Miaugi likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have one of these Harbor Freight models pictured above. I needed it to get my friends TW200 from NJ back to CO with me. It worked, but I was nervous the whole time. Still use it for shorter trips but always check every part of it before leaving. Also, the ramp is super short and I have trouble loading the bike without a running start. Get something else!

A TW on the back of a Wrangler is kind of scary as the front end becomes light and requires constant attention......If you are flat towing the Jeep you won't notice it but if you are driving the Jeep you will.....now having said that, my Wranglers were always the short wheelbase two doors....no doubt the 4 door model would be more stable..

If a trailer is a option....the trailer can be used for a variety of things...
    Last edited by bartruff; 03-20-2019 at 09:33 AM.

I have one of these Harbor Freight models pictured above but no longer use it. Never understood the obsession some have with tire contact, carrier & ramp width, length and securement front and rear as long as bike has tie-downs properly attached elsewhere. I hauled my TW over many a bumpy secondary dirt road and bike never wanted to leap off, tires never shifted, arrived as secure as at beginning. Carried TW with stock TrailWings as well as with IRC Trials and Duro ATV tires equally well. Carrier itself wobbled a lot and the included anti-wobble device seemed inadequate. 2" tube had quite a bit of flex due to thin mild steel construction, however there are thicker walled square tubing available for a home up-grade.
    Before abandonment I stabilized carrier with rigid struts to an overhead rack on the haul vehicle. This not only mostly eliminated destructive wobble but also held bike upright handsfree while I made tie-down secure since this was always a solo operation. Allowed bike to be loaded on slopes and sidehills since level parking was not always available.
    Terrible picture, but wooden rack struts holding TW just visible here after more than forty miles of desert travel. While secure I have since moved on to a hydraulic lifting platform for the TW, a MotoJack
    van rackJPG.JPG
    Last edited by Fred; 03-20-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    Sthrnromr, UncleRandy and Miaugi like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I hung a 320# bike off my CJ7 and you can see the front wheels still touch the ground. I drove this way to
    arrowhead a couple times a month for the season. The Jeep handles like a forklift w/out the bike, so it didn’t seem much worse with the anchor on back.
    2B01372A-14FA-4132-93C3-8F536F603419.jpeg
    Fred, Miaugi and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff View Post
    A TW on the back of a Wrangler is kind of scary as the front end becomes light and requires constant attention......If you are flat towing the Jeep you won't notice it but if you are driving the Jeep you will.....now having said that, my Wranglers were always the short wheelbase two doors....no doubt the 4 door model would be more stable..

If a trailer is a option....the trailer can be used for a variety of things...
    I can't speak for a CJ7 as mentioned above but I tried putting my TW/hitch carrier on the back of our 2010 Jeep Wrangler (2 door) and it was very unstable and the rear end sagged a lot. I will never do that again. Funny thing was, I was able to put the same setup on our Jeep Liberty and it wasn't a problem at all. I know the Liberty has a different suspension than the Wrangler and also there's big differences between years of wranglers.

One has to experiment and see what works and what one feels comfortable with because some Jeeps can and some Jeeps can't (same with other SUV's).
    Miaugi likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about the various forms of hitch carriers over the years. I have yet to see someone on this board or any other (correct me if i'm wrong-and send pix) of one that failed catastrophically-be it Harbor Freight or any other. Yes-I agree-it doesn't look like it should work! 300+ pounds all hanging off of a 2" piece of steel tube? But it does. I use the hitch clamp to take out the wobble and I have insurance!! I have the WalMart Version and it is identical to the Harbor Freight Version that my friend has. I have several hundred miles of use with my and it's worked out great. Having said that-I recommend a thorough inspection of the hardware and welds on a regular basis just to be sure. And-to each his own-if I could afford one of the nicer carriers-I would buy it!
    Miaugi, reddave and saabbug like this.

Years past someone posted a photo here of a fracture on the bottom of a Harbor Freight Aluminum carrier. The aluminum saddle that mates the 2" steel tube to the aluminum carrier proper had a stress fracture running for most of it's length. However no details were given as to adequate assembly, bike restraints, anti-wobble effectiveness, road and use conditions, etc. Thing just may have been abused so I somewhat discounted the post without any further details being given. As long as aluminum alloys are not subjected to repeated flexing they can give a long trouble free service life
    Miaugi, UncleRandy and Kayak like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links