Frame touch-up vs. Complete redo
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Frame touch-up vs. Complete redo

Frame touch-up vs. Complete redo

My '99 is starting to show its age and coastal use almost exclusively around the welds where paint is bubbling and/or flaked off.

I initially planned on tearing it down and doing a complete cosmetic refresh but since its great mechanically and the the only real cosmetic issues are the aforementioned welds (which I'm worried may become structural if not addressed), I'm thinking about just addressing the problem areas.

Has anyone else done this? If so what were the results? What paint did you use (I would prefer it to match the factory)? Thanks!
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Chain lube - gets into where paint doesn't - repeat each year ......
    Darth and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

If you don't need to tear it down don't do it!
    One of mine that only needed cosmetic touches is still sitting because it's easier to just ride something else and time is always short. Ride, ride, ride.
    Darth and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office!

Theirs a ass for every seat!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'd touch it up, maybe with POR15 or something like that. I wouldn't disassemble unless I knew I wouldn't be riding or had something else to ride, plus the time, space, and all the little things you might wanna replace as you reassemble.

if you tear it down you will end up doing far more work than you thought or planned to, personally i'd remove cables, panels, lights and just spend time masking off the bits you don't want painted.

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1987 BW350 that was also showing some age at the welds but was otherwise in real nice shape. I removed a red painted part from the frame and took it to the Auto paint store. They have a machine I will call a paint color photographic analyzer and they took a picture which ran through the computer. Then he was able to mix the color and put it into 2 rattle cans. It cost me $30 for the works but the color match is as near perfect as I could ever hope for and it also takes into account the age fade of the original red. The rest of the process is an art in itself where taping off all the parts you don't want over spray to show on. Again, the automotive paint store has just the right tapes and papers for this. I still have to now reverse the process and tape off all the fresh painted red parts so I can do the black on the engine. It is a toss up as to weather it is easier to tear the bike down to the frame to do it right or to spend the hours taping and spraying things in place. Properly prepping the welds before paint is a major key to getting it to look good and last. I used a couple different wire wheels on drills and a dremel tool to clean all the rust and crud off and then used Prep Sol before I painted. With automotive paint I am pretty confident it will last but with off the shelf spray paints I have had less than great results. I did have a set of aluminum car wheels powder coated a few years ago and was very impressed with the results but that was a rather painless thing to have done except for the cost.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Try PJ1 spray paint .Great to work with. PJ1 make paints with many factory colors. If you have the time tear it down and paint. the 200 is an easy bike to wirk on.
    Powder Coat is the best.I did my mx bike frame.Still looks new.
    87 TW

One little trick I noticed the painters at work doing is using aluminum foil for masking . Much easier to use because it keeps its shape.
    GaryL, Smitty Blackstone and Darth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
    One little trick I noticed the painters at work doing is using aluminum foil for masking . Much easier to use because it keeps its shape.
    Great info Pete! The tin will form around the tight spots way better than the paper and tape I used and probably easier to form around stuff. Pretty expensive though but time is money so I will use that trick myself when I do my engine. I bet I spent a few hours just covering all the stuff I did not want paint over spray on so anything that makes the job easier and less time consuming is fine by me. Color matching is the most important part of doing half a job on frame paint once you cover the parts that you don't want over spray on but it can be done with great results. The frame up and under my fuel tank was still original and bright red but the rest had some fade in it and the automotive photo analyzer got that about as close as I ever expected it would. Red is a rather tough color while black and blue frames may not be so critical.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

It's too late into the season now.But I wish I powder coated my frame
    87 TW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links