Recommended Changes for New TW? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Recommended Changes for New TW?

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    The stock chain stretches like a rubber band with dirt and water applied. No amount of preventative service or care will matter.
    If you feel your clutch slip, or unhappy with the on/off feel of the clutch play, heavier clutch springs will fix both. I really needed to be able to play the clutch as I have stock gearing on the sprockets and do not want to sacrifice top end speed for low end torque. I don't ride often enough to worry about wearing out the clutch plates, so slipping the piss out of 'em works great for me.

There are aftermarket RAM mirrors that use the ball/socket design RAM is famous for that work with the TW200, but pricey at $130 a pair. Not only are they long, you can either add more length or change out the extender part for a longer version for not much money. The best part is that they actually are functional, providing a clear rear view instead of a blurred one at speed. They fold in when going off road or crashing. Check out the photos on this Amazon link. A guy takes a baseball bat to them and they hold up. For that alone, I think they are worth the price.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHVYK3J...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Awesome! Thanks for the follow-up, mirrors sound exactly what I am looking for... I actually was going to post in one of the other threads about my clutch lever kind of being sticky on release (sure some cable lube would help) it’ll come out about 1/4 and hangs and will jump a little more as less pressure is applied. I’ll look into those heavier springs, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TWBigBlake View Post
    Here comes the novice I mentioned earlier... what does removing the end cap do? Is it just to free it up in case it needs to be removed later?
    Yes, this is just some early preventive maintenance to avoid a bigger problem in the future.

Also, if you can picture a Russian circus bear on a child’s bicycle... any thoughts on mirrors that might reach a little wider than stock? Do they make ones that you can mount to the handlebars closer to the outside? The stock ones are just a tiny bit too close to get a good view of vehicles behind me, I read about some that attach to hand guards? Thoughts?
    Mirror extenders work well. Make sure that you get ones for Yamaha that have a reverse thread on the right side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-CNC-Mo...2PQIN4ylHAr2rQ

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have owned a TW200 about a month now, but these are my mods so far. I'm 6'3" 190lbs. The bike (used) came with a Cycleracks rear rack which I love, and Moose racing handguards (also great)

2" Rox Risers: $80 Amazon
    Ricochet Skid Plate: $105 Procycle
    Narrow rear blinkers to sit inboard of the rack: $16 Amazon
    Coleman Maddog ATV seat cover: $20 Walmart
    Homemade windshield (Jimbo clone): $14
    Oversized steel foot pegs: $22 Amazon
    Ridgid Tool Box for rear rack: $30 Home Depot

On my To-Buy list are:
    Shinko 241 front tire
    Heavy Duty tubes
    DID X-Ring chain
    Rotopax fuel & water containers

Pretty happy with how it sits so far though.

Bike pre-mods:
    thumbnail.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Here comes the novice I mentioned earlier... what does removing the end cap do? Is it just to free it up in case it needs to be removed later?
    Yes, this is just some early preventive maintenance to avoid a bigger problem in the future.
    Oh perfect! Thanks for showing me those, this forum is awesome! I’ll pick up a set of those to use for now, and grab a set of the RAMs later.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleScout View Post
    I have owned a TW200 about a month now, but these are my mods so far. I'm 6'3" 190lbs. The bike (used) came with a Cycleracks rear rack which I love, and Moose racing handguards (also great)

2" Rox Risers: $80 Amazon
    Ricochet Skid Plate: $105 Procycle
    Narrow rear blinkers to sit inboard of the rack: $16 Amazon
    Coleman Maddog ATV seat cover: $20 Walmart
    Homemade windshield (Jimbo clone): $14
    Oversized steel foot pegs: $22 Amazon
    Ridgid Tool Box for rear rack: $30 Home Depot

On my To-Buy list are:
    Shinko 241 front tire
    Heavy Duty tubes
    DID X-Ring chain
    Rotopax fuel & water containers

Pretty happy with how it sits so far though.

Bike pre-mods:
    thumbnail.jpg
    I read about some people having to trim or rig the seat cover (I just ordered one on amazon) did you run into that? Nice setup!

Yes, I did have to modify the seat cover. I cut off the clips/buckles with snips, and then laced it on with paracord. Turned out better and was easier than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleScout View Post
    Yes, I did have to modify the seat cover. I cut off the clips/buckles with snips, and then laced it on with paracord. Turned out better and was easier than I expected.
    More detail on this? Not sure what or why.
    jtomelliott49 and TWBigBlake like this.
    2017 Apollo 250
    2018 Yamaha TW200
    1978 Suzuki DR370

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    While you have the end cap off, replace the screw with a stainless hex head screw. That was one of the first things I did with my 2017 to avoid future problems.

IMHO the MadDog seat cover is a poor attempt at improving an otherwise uncomfortable stock seat. I tried one and couldn't wait to give it away, feeling it was ugly and actually making things worse comfort wise for me.
    A moderately expensive but excellent option is the Seat Concepts foam plus cover kit. Available directly from Seat Concepts, or at a discount from Forum member PlacerLoad, these kits can come with a denser foam likely better for your size. Otherwise custom seat foam and covers can be made but can get pricey.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links