Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 4 Post By nihil
  • 1 Post By reddave
  • 1 Post By Kayak
  • 1 Post By nihil

Thread: Looking for new bars

Looking for new bars

First off, I apologize if I am repeating a previous thread - used the search function and didn't find what I was looking for. Anyone is welcome to direct me to a previous thread.

I've got a 2006 with stock handlebars. Looking to replace with something a bit taller (and stronger), but I'm not looking to replace all of the cables. So I'm looking for recommendations for the tallest bar that won't require cable replacement. What say ye? Thanks.

I used Pro-Taper high rise bars which worked out well for me. I think they come in a medium rise also depending how high you want to go. Look at the bottom of this thread for more links regarding bars.
    Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I was in a similar state of indecision not long ago, so here's my shameless plug:

TW200 Handlebar Simulator

You can compare many (most?) of the relevant bar options out there vs. stock TW200 bars. I ran stock 7/8" bars with some Rox 2" pivoting risers, had myself a bit of an off camber situation, then ended up with Renthal Fatbar CR High bend sitting on Rox fixed 7/8" to 1-1/8" adapters that give it about the same forward offset and vertical rise I had with the pivoting risers. Quite pleased with it so far.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow that's awesome! Thank you, Nihil!
    Sthrnromr likes this.

Dan, I ended up using the ProTaper 1 1/8 ATV high with some inexpensive adapters that included just enough rise. Had the bars laying about, as they were not enough of a change for my Super Tenere. Search the big A for "Wingsmoto Handlebar Bar Risers 28mm Motorcycle Bar Clamps 1-1/8" to adapt, they seem nicely machined and had just enough rise. At 6 foot tall, I now have almost no hunch over when standing on the pegs... no new cables or wiring changes needed, but I believe I moved the brake line where it's clamped to the triple tree. A set of 2" Rox risers... and this bar combo... would have required a huge amount of work to install (longer brake line, clutch cable and lengthening the wiring)… I did try. Ends of the bars are marked, so you can leave as is (wider) or cut down to the desired length.
    Last edited by Kayak; 04-14-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak View Post
    \A set of 2" Rox risers... would have required a huge amount of work to install (longer brake line, clutch cable and lengthening the wiring)…
    Not so much. I ran Rox 2" risers and only had to loosen some of the cable ties and pull a bit more slack up toward the bar.

See, edit. Chose these bars for the bend mostly, was looking for more rise of course, but I'm oddly particular when it come to the angles on bars. The ATV high's with 2" risers were a definite no go. I left them at full width as well, as I enjoy the leverage increase... at least until I feel the need to narrow them.
    Dan is looking for a stronger bar, not just added height for the stockers.
    The bar simulator is awesome, wish I'd had something like that when trying to get the Tenere 'right'.
    Last edited by Kayak; 04-14-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Sthrnromr likes this.

Ah with the taller bar. Yeah 2" with stock is about as high as it can go without lengthening things.

If you have dimensions on the SuperTen bar I can plug that one in too. It's all parametric CAD so adding new bars is pretty easy. I bent my bars in December and ended up modeling everything in CAD so I could settle on a replacement. Threw together the web UI because I figured I probably wasn't the only one who'd rather visualize it than take a guess and see if it pans out, or just run what everyone else is running. It's not 100% accurate as it doesn't account for the varying radii of all the bends on all the bars, but the important parts should be in the right spots.
    Last edited by nihil; 04-15-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    Sthrnromr likes this.

Sponosred Links