Another front tire thread... - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Another front tire thread...

I call the stock front the Judo Master. I bought a shinko 244 in the first few months. I found that too hard for cold weather so I bought the shinko 241 which has done well for me all year round even in snow. In mud it surprised me that running low pressure and at enough speed it clears mud surprisingly well. The rubber is so soft the treads flex easily.

In the meantime, be mindful of how/when you use your front brake (no slops, or turns). When you fear the stock front tire most keep your weight centered or forward on the bike to keep the front planted.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    I call the stock front the Judo Master. I bought a shinko 244 in the first few months. I found that too hard for cold weather so I bought the shinko 241 which has done well for me all year round even in snow. In mud it surprised me that running low pressure and at enough speed it clears mud surprisingly well. The rubber is so soft the treads flex easily.

In the meantime, be mindful of how/when you use your front brake (no slops, or turns). When you fear the stock front tire most keep your weight centered or forward on the bike to keep the front planted.
    Outside of the cold weather riding, would you have kept the 244? I won’t do any winter riding....but have been agonizing over the 241/244 debate (sorry for the thread hijack).
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2016 TW200
    & Lots of old Rovers
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Go with the 241 bro. It's a better tire all around than the 244.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
    Outside of the cold weather riding, would you have kept the 244? I won’t do any winter riding....but have been agonizing over the 241/244 debate (sorry for the thread hijack).
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
    I'm in the same boat, have run the stock tire offroad a little bit...wasn't bad...but definitely got loosey-goosey a couple times in the mud. Currently having the internal debate between the 244 5.10 (or possibly 4.60), or the 241 4.00...pretty sure I want to change just to avoid any issues, and sort of leaning towards the 244.
    On my 2010, I rode the OEM for 4,000 miles before changing. (Big Mistake!) The Shinko 241 had not come onto people's radar yet, so I went with a Kenda 270. That was WAY better than the Bridgestone in dirt, but it only lasted about 4,000 miles before it began to buzz on pavement. After 4,000 miles on the Kenda on my 2010 I changed to the Shinko 241 and went another 8,000 miles on it with no perceptible degradation.

My concern from the start of the decision tree was front tire weight. I really didn't want to get a heavier tire, so the Kenda was a 120/80-18. That worked really well in the dirt and on pavement until it began to wear as above. The Shinko 241 4.00-18, which is about the same weight, has worked at least as well in the dirt or pavement, but hasn't exhibited the tread wear of the Kenda, which I suspect is also a characteristic of the Golden Boy.

I had a chance to ride a friend's TW set up with a Golden Boy 244 in 5.10 a couple years ago. I found it heavier, slower to make quick corrections, but more stable on loose gravel roads....which is pretty much as one would expect. I was happy with my decision to have a faster responding tire, since I don't push hard on gravel. I doubt if I would have noticed much difference on pavement.

If you do mostly dirt riding, particularly in loose dirt and some mud, I'd go with the 244, but in 4.60. If you go back and forth on the pavement like me and have more rocky terrain in general, I'd go with the Shinko 241.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ....I guess many have figured out how to get good use out of their Death Wings.....

Attachment 193314
    That is NOT a Death Wing! But it serves the general idea.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    I wore mine out before I replaced it with the Stinko! I don't think it has killed anyone yet, but if you ride in a straight line on gravel you'll be fine. Just watch those downhills turns on loose gravel while braking
    There is absolutely no way that this tire hasn't killed anyone. I'll bet it has killed dozens, maybe more. I ride fairly aggressively. I have done a mix of in-town, dirt roads and plain trails. I switched to the Shinko and was amazed at the difference. I had less than 450 miles on my Bridgestone and had several very close calls and went off the road into ditches 2 or 3 times. When the front tire blows out before the rear, you are asking for trouble. The TW doesn't have the power to spin the rear wheel in turns like a real dirt bike does. You have to finesse it and this is very hard to do with the factory tire. If you are a conservative rider you will likely be fine. On pavement it is fine. I can lean to the point where I scrape stuff and it holds. The $50 Shinko is eons better.
    nathanwind and jtomelliott49 like this.

kdh
    A fella across town has 4 TWs. One has Metzler Sport Tecs, one has TW203, one has a Dunlop Geomax, one has a TW34.

'94 TW. 244 Golden Boy 4.60. Yer, right. It is very good on gravel and loose trails. It isn't the best tire for pavement (too heavy) but I still think it is better than the OEM D'wing -- even there.

How do people feel about the TW302 these days? And just my experience, but I ran the Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" for a couple of years, only street use, and discovered every second knob down the center was a harder rubber, so it started vibrating almost immediately, and just got worse as time went on. (Took me a while to figure out).

Quote Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
    I ran the Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" for a couple of years, only street use, and discovered every second knob down the center was a harder rubber, so it started vibrating almost immediately, and just got worse as time went on. (Took me a while to figure out).
    This may have just swayed me towards the 241, been having the 244/241 internal debate for about a week or so
    2016 TW200
    & Lots of old Rovers
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links