Going tubeless up front???
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Going tubeless up front???

Going tubeless up front???

Have any of you folks who are doing the tubeless thing gone tubeless up front? And if not, why? I would think it would be a natural progression.

Thanks for your responses,
    Tom
    Ken and grewen like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

No, but I would love to see more information on this. I always think Tubliss or Mousse-Bib systems and just say nah seems like too much to deal with and throw a tube in. But, I also have pinched tubes and found patches to not have stellar results. Always curious to see options.
    jtomelliott49 and Ken like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

I use the tubliss on the front of the TW, it works great.
    The only benefit of the tubliss over simply sealing the spokes and running tube less is the tubliss system acts like a giant rim lock.
    You can ride tubliss with low/ no air without rolling the bead, tube less can unseat and are tough to reseat on the trail.

This weekend I had a rear flat and was amazed to ride back over rock, sand and dry lake bed to camp without losing the bead, it was flopping and squirming but stayed seated. I then thought the tire would put up a fight but it came right off with my fanny pack tire irons. This setup can be trail serviced with the right kit. I cheated and used a new tube and air compressor but could have patched it and pumped like on the trail.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your responses.....I might go ahead and try this with my IRC trials tire. Anybody else try this?
    grewen likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200

I have had the tubeless on the back of the WR. I just found you need to be careful when installing the tire not to "bend" the bead. I tried putting a tire I had previous used on the tubliss and could not get it to seal. Bead was slightly damaged in one spot, so ended up buying a new tire and had no issues. I found this interesting as it offers another way of installing the system so that the two valves are not a few spokes apart which would provide for better tire balancing.
    Purple and jtomelliott49 like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Thanks ejfranz. I'm planning to do the silicone spoke sealant, then the rim strip, using an 8mm valve stem, and just the regular front tire. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I defer to the TW Brain Trust on here.
    ejfranz and grewen like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200

This shows some of the silicone basics. Youtube has many other sealing options for wire wheels like tape & urethane.
    jtomelliott49 and grewen like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Why do you want to have a tubless front tire?
    The advantage of the Tubliss system is the ability to run low pressure for traction
    I weighed a Tubliss KX450 rear wheel and again w a standard tube set up. The Tubliss Wheel was shocking the smallest bit heavier
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    87 TW

Maxpower, I pinched a tube last time I tried to DIY my new tires. If I don't have a tube, I can't pinch it. But, I could damage the bead area, as ejfranz mentioned. I just think if it is feasible, why not? In the video you posted, Fred, he didn't use a rim strip. I did not know about using a brush to eliminate bubbles. I think maybe more silicone is not necessarily better, but enough to let the rim strip squeeze a little out the sides would be good. I need to find the small valve stems so I won't have to drill the hole out larger. I might want to go back. I hope not. Thanks again for your responses.
    Last edited by jtomelliott49; 06-06-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    Sthrnromr and grewen like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200

I understand the pinch thing. Im definitely not sayibg its silly to go tubeless.It's my opinion the allure of the TW is its simplicity. Making it tubless especially as a dirt bike adds a level of complexity and a weak link for failure. Dirt can get in through spokes. And trying to seat the bead after fixing a flat can be tough away from your compressor.
    There are advantages too like no pinch flats from smashing rocks or torn valves from slipping beads while braking. You'll lose a bit of important unsprung weight too. So you can gain beer weight to make up the difference
    Keep in mind, I don't even want to pull my carb to rejet or gain access to the hidden air screw because it's running so good.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    87 TW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links